Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
When I got my current iMac (2010 model) I connected a firewire cable to my old 2006 model and the migration assistant transferred all my stuff. I'm getting a 2012 model, and was trying to figure out how to do the transfer.

The 2010 model doesn't have Thunderbolt, so a thunderbolt cable is out of the question.

The 2012 model doesn't have Firewire, so a firewire cable is out of the question.

USB cable?
Over the network (slow)? Or

Plug in my Time Machine backup drive to the new iMac and restore from it?

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
Hello,

I will be purchasing a iMac 21.5" whenever they decide to release them. I have a MacBook Pro 2011 with a thunderbolt port. WOuld it be advisable to use the Migration Assistant via Thunderbolt to transfer data from my MacBook Pro to the iMac? Not sure how Migration works and if it would just overwrite Mountain Lion thats already on the new iMacs as well as other data? Any hints?

oldsos

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
You can also buy a Cat6 ethernet cable for $5.00. In theory, it has gigabit speed.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
You can also buy a Cat6 ethernet cable for $5.00. In theory, it has gigabit speed.

So you can connect two iMacs with a network cable to do the migration? I don't think so.

EDIT: looks like you can. Here is a blurb from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

"Make sure that the source Mac and target Macs are connected to the same network, either wirelessly or via Ethernet. (You can directly connect the two Macs via an Ethernet cable if both are Ethernet capable. To make MacBook Air Ethernet capable, connect using the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter.)"

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've done three iMac migrations and three MacBook migrations and every one but the first was done using Ethernet or WiFi. The first one I did using Firewire -- I don't think Ethernet was supported back then. But with everything here already networked using Ethernet or WiFi is certainly the way to go.

It might be a bit slower (especially WiFi) but I don't care since the process is automatic once you start it.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Of course you can. Ethernet to ethernet. Just works.

Edit: Oh, looks like you figured it out. Should have previewed my reply.

Yeah, for some reason I just never thought about it. A Cat6 cable should be faster than FW800.

----------

I've done three iMac migrations and three MacBook migrations and every one but the first was done using Ethernet or WiFi. The first one I did using Firewire -- I don't think Ethernet was supported back then. But with everything here already networked using Ethernet or WiFi is certainly the way to go.

It might be a bit slower (especially WiFi) but I don't care since the process is automatic once you start it.

I'd never do it over Wifi, too much interference from baby monitors and what not in my house. I'm talking about a cat6 cable directly plugged between the two iMacs.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'd never do it over Wifi, too much interference from baby monitors and what not in my house. I'm talking about a cat6 cable directly plugged between the two iMacs.

You can, of course, directly connect the two Macs. However I'm pointing out you can do it using any network you can share (WiFi or Ethernet). If that network is in place, it's by far the simplest way to migrate since you need nothing extra.

I just remembered a seventh migration I performed. When my father died I needed to migrate his account on his iMac to my computer (I carried over a MacBook to his place) since the iMac was going to his granddaughter. The fastest thing for me to do was set up an ad-hoc wireless network and migrate the account over that. So that makes yet another way to migrate.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
You can, of course, directly connect the two Macs. However I'm pointing out you can do it using any network you can share (WiFi or Ethernet). If that network is in place, it's by far the simplest way to migrate since you need nothing extra.

I just remembered a seventh migration I performed. When my father died I needed to migrate his account on his iMac to my computer (I carried over a MacBook to his place) since the iMac was going to his granddaughter. The fastest thing for me to do was set up an ad-hoc wireless network and migrate the account over that. So that makes yet another way to migrate.

Good info, thanks! Oh and sorry about your pop, been there and done that too :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.