Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Purchase question.

Macpro 4,1 machines, single-processor are going between $1,000-1,200 here in the Toronto area.

If i'm looking for the fastest thing possible (for logic audio), would it make more sense to:

1. wait it out for a 5,1 2-processor machine to hit the sub $2,000 mark
2. go ahead and get it and upgrade the EFI & cpu with a 6-core 3.x Ghz chip (now we're at around $1,800) and add ram (more $)
3. keep waiting for the 6,1 mac pro

I'm not in dire straights to get a new machine; my mbp has actually proved to be faster than my 3,1 (geeks at 10,999), but can't go above 16gb ram as no one makes 16gbx2 chips ...yet?

in the same situation, what would you do? wait it out? I have funds set aside to do whatever, but part of me thinks it's good money thrown after bad if the new pro has all the stuff we've been pining for.
__________________
2012 MPB 15, 16GB, 512SSD, Geek 11941 - Logic Audio
2009 Mac Pro, 64GB, 5,1 Firmware, X5570 swap x2, EVGA GTX570, VEP5, Kontakt, and AE
spoonie1972 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #2
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie1972 View Post
1. wait it out for a 5,1 2-processor machine to hit the sub $2,000 mark
That will likely never be an attainable price point if they stick with Xeon and they'd have to for dual procs unless Intel changes as well.
You should wait it out. I have a hex but I bought it at launch in 2010. It's great but I wouldn't buy one now not when either line deprecation drops prices further or new models get released. Something's got to give.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:43 PM   #3
spoonie1972
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
thx for the feedback.
__________________
2012 MPB 15, 16GB, 512SSD, Geek 11941 - Logic Audio
2009 Mac Pro, 64GB, 5,1 Firmware, X5570 swap x2, EVGA GTX570, VEP5, Kontakt, and AE

Last edited by spoonie1972; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
spoonie1972 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchase new iphone 5s question DaveMike11 iPhone 9 Mar 28, 2014 02:14 PM
rMBP Purchase Question MarkScarn MacBook Pro 5 Jun 11, 2013 02:06 PM
Itunes purchase question i-sidd Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Oct 18, 2012 07:52 PM
Purchase Question sfxx MacBook Air 12 Jul 9, 2012 03:28 PM
Question about purchase GabooN Buying Tips and Advice 2 Jun 18, 2012 04:48 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC