Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I've been trying to sell my 7 month old iPad 3 on Craigslist for 10 days now and haven't gotten any serious bites - nothing but low ball (I think) offers. It's White, 32GB, Verizon, in perfect shape and includes a red Smart Cover. I'm asking $500, which based on Apple's refurb price of $599 seems reasonable. Am I asking too much or is there no market for this model anymore?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It seems about right, but CL is always a bit of a crapshoot. If you want to get your price, you have to be prepared to wait (and to deal with a lot of spam).

FWIW, Amazon will give you $450-$500 credit for it.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Gazelle will give you $350 cash. I'd hold out for a bite on CL, but as has already been said, be prepared to wait.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
There's a glut of iPad 1/2/3's on Craigslist. It's a buyers market.

Since the refurb price of an iPad 3 16GB is $379 that sets the bar pretty low.

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I sold my 16G for 420 with a smart cover so what you are asking sounds reasonable. If doesnt work, try to take down the price by 20.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
As a buyer, I'd personally pay the extra $99 to get the refurb, which comes with new battery, new case, new packaging, and full year's warranty. Heck, many of the refurbs are probably brand new ones from the discontinued stock.

Also, lots of people scared to buy a $500 device from someone with no recourse, not to mention meeting a stranger with $500 cash.

If Amazon is really paying $450 to $500 credit, I'd just go that route.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
In the UK I have been looking at prices on eBay and the iPad 3 prices have dropped big time.

An iPad 3 64gb WiFi and 3G can be bought for less than £500 and these were priced at £659 on release.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I've been trying to sell my 7 month old iPad 3 on Craigslist for 10 days now and haven't gotten any serious bites - nothing but low ball (I think) offers. It's White, 32GB, Verizon, in perfect shape and includes a red Smart Cover. I'm asking $500, which based on Apple's refurb price of $599 seems reasonable. Am I asking too much or is there no market for this model anymore?

Much also depends on where you live and what kinda of a market you got. If in a big city many more on Craigs List but also many more for sale.

Have you looked on CL to see what they are selling for?

sovereign

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Mine is on CL, though I haven't actively bumped it in a while. I did receive an offer today for $100 more than my asking price if I will ship it international to a "friend" who needs a replacement. I will paid by Paypal. Should I do it?:confused:

CL is the basement of the internet, but sometimes it works out...

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Mine is on CL, though I haven't actively bumped it in a while. I did receive an offer today for $100 more than my asking price if I will ship it international to a "friend" who needs a replacement. I will paid by Paypal. Should I do it?:confused:

CL is the basement of the internet, but sometimes it works out...

I saw your post and had to reply right away with a warning . . . DON'T DO IT! Rule number 1 of CL is that if it sounds good to be true it is. Rule number 2, don't ship out and do Paypal. The newest scam going around is that these scam artists pay you through Paypal and after you ship it out and they receive it, they then claim to Paypal customer service that the item was not as described. Paypal has a buyers protection guarantee, and so they take the money back from you and they ask the seller to ship back the item. What gets shipped back to you is a box of rocks. This has happened countless times (just google paypal buyer fraud) and in the end its your word against theres and usually Paypal sides with the buyer. I sold an iPod on CL and I got many responses asking for it to be shipped and paid for by Paypal, after numerous back and forth emails I found them to be suspect as they were willing to offer me $50 more than what I asked. I googled it and I found out about the scam. Hope this helps you out!

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I'd say keep your price where it is and be patient, Christmas is around the corner. You want to have a little wiggle to come down a bit if the buyer wants a discount. If you've got remaining Applecare note it in your ad. Also it doesn't hurt to offer to proactively schedule a Genius bar appointment to reassure the buyer they're getting a working computer.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
Gazelle will give you $350 cash. I'd hold out for a bite on CL, but as has already been said, be prepared to wait.

More like $150 when they claim your device is in poor condition! I hate Gazelle, just use eBay, Amazon or Craigslist. I saw one go for $508 on ebay, but the seller fee and shipping brings your profits to like $450. Which IMO is better than most "instant offer" places like Gazelle.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
CL can be so frustrating. Had a guy agree to buy last night for $500. I restored iPad this morning and then he emails that he found a refurb on Apple for $500 so he's buying from them. Never mind that the one on Apple.com is not 4G LTE, which he claimed to need. And the beat goes on :eek:

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Craigslist is free to list and you'll pay no shipping. The cost is the potential PITA. I try to always meet the buyer in a place that's convenient for me. There are no guarantees but I've gotten pretty good at sorting out the serious buyer from the BSers.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Just sold my 32gb AT&T LTE iPad with a Smart Cover and rear case for $575.

It took some time (a week) just try and refresh your ad in the morning during the week

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.