Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Before ichat was killed, I used to be able to sign in and fix relatives and friend's macs very easily by requesting a remote desktop session.

Seems like imessages has done away with that feature. Is there still a built in function for mac os to do this? These computers are not sharing the same icloud id.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Thanks. I suppose that will work nicely.

Irks me a little that Mac OS has a vnc server built in that works great and the only front end was built into ichat. Without some sort of app, its way too tedious to explain to my dad how to open ports on his router for me to connect directly to one of his computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.