Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
transcode any format to *.flv - what free tool?

Hi

Howto transcode any format to *.flv. Tryed VideoMonkey, but this gives *.swf

Thumb resize.

Which free tool? Open source prefers.
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2
ppc_michael
macrumors 65816
 
ppc_michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
If I may ask, why do you need FLV? It has been more or less deprecated in favor for H.264, which Flash handles natively and is much more efficient.

You could use Handbrake to convert your videos to H.264 (in an MP4 container).

If you must use FLV, ffmpeg (free, open source) can do that. It is a command-line application in its pure form, but there are several GUI wrappers available such as ffmpegx.
__________________
-PPC_Michael
Apple is just a company. Think for yourselves.
ppc_michael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Quotenfrau
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_michael View Post
If I may ask, why do you need FLV? It has been more or less deprecated in favor for H.264, which Flash handles natively and is much more efficient.
I need to upload video files to a proprietary board software. The board can only display *.flv browser based. If you upload *.mp4 clients need to download and watch local.

I agree with you that *.flv is crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_michael View Post
You could use Handbrake to convert your videos to H.264 (in an MP4 container).

If you must use FLV, ffmpeg (free, open source) can do that. It is a command-line application in its pure form, but there are several GUI wrappers available such as ffmpegx.
I need *.flv
Can you give me example syntax. As generic as possible.
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:15 PM   #4
ppc_michael
macrumors 65816
 
ppc_michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotenfrau View Post
Can you give me example syntax. As generic as possible.
As generic as possible:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov outputfile.flv
The output will probably either not look all that great, or have a huge file size. You can begin to control the bitrate of the video (b:v) and audio (b:a) like this:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov -b:v 400k -b:a 320k outputfile.flv
This thread contains useful information. You will also see that you can use H.264 within an FLV container, which may still work with your proprietary setup.
__________________
-PPC_Michael
Apple is just a company. Think for yourselves.
ppc_michael is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
MisterMe
macrumors G4
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotenfrau View Post
I need to upload video files to a proprietary board software. ... If you upload *.mp4 clients need to download and watch local.

...

I need *.flv
Can you give me example syntax. As generic as possible.
By your own admission, every user will be able to watch the video in h.264 format. However, iPhone and iPad users will not be able to watch the video if it is in .flv format.
__________________
Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend
William Shakespeare from Hamlet
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Quotenfrau
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_michael View Post
As generic as possible:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov outputfile.flv
The output will probably either not look all that great, or have a huge file size. You can begin to control the bitrate of the video (b:v) and audio (b:a) like this:

Code:
ffmpeg -i inputfile.mov -b:v 400k -b:a 320k outputfile.flv
This thread contains useful information. You will also see that you can use H.264 within an FLV container, which may still work with your proprietary setup.
thanks.

the "As generic as possible" command produce a real bad result (pixelation). Will try and error with the arguments.
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:31 PM   #7
floh
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quotenfrau View Post
thanks.

the "As generic as possible" command produce a real bad result (pixelation). Will try and error with the arguments.
Just shortly:
.flv is just a container. If the site doesn't care what's inside and you have an .mov file with an acceptable size and quality, you can just copy the streams inside and change the container to .flv. The command line for that would be

Code:
ffmpeg -i Infile.mov -acodec copy -vcodec copy Outfile.flv
Maybe that works?
floh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does camera+ have a free draw tool so I can black out someone's name? aliensarecool iPhone 1 Nov 22, 2012 07:25 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC