Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oblivion426

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I purchased a rMBP yesterday from Apple and cannot seem to get Find my Mac working under Power Nap. It is enabled under settings for both battery and AC power. I have Find my Mac enabled under iCloud and I am able to locate my Mac when it is awake. Is Power Nap supposed to allow one finding their mac at any time while it is sleeping?

Thank you.

Oblivion426

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Anyone? I spoke with Apple today regarding the issue and the tech I spoke to could not find a reason that it would do this.

jas07

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
My understanding of it (And how it seems to work on my MBA) is that while the Mac is asleep Power Nap only "wakes" it every so often, the way it works on my MBA is if I go to Find my Mac on iCloud.com and set it to email me when the Mac is found it will take a while before I get that email if my Mac is asleep which leads me to believe it "wakes", sends the location and goes back to sleep again.

I hope that helps a little bit and at least gives you something to try.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Yes, Find my Mac is supposed to work if you have Power Nap enabled according to this Apple support document. However you are not alone with it not working 'as intended'. I just tried it on my rMBP that was having a snooze, and I was unable to locate it. I would imagine that the notebook has to periodically 'report in' to the iCloud servers as a constant connection would drain the battery. It is possible that you have to wait sometime for it to show up, but your best plan is to speak to a Apple Genius, and report back with your findings.

----------

My understanding of it (And how it seems to work on my MBA) is that while the Mac is asleep Power Nap only "wakes" it every so often, the way it works on my MBA is if I go to Find my Mac on iCloud.com and set it to email me when the Mac is found it will take a while before I get that email if my Mac is asleep which leads me to believe it "wakes", sends the location and goes back to sleep again.

I hope that helps a little bit and at least gives you something to try.

That makes sense, sorry did not see your post until after I posted mine.

Oblivion426

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I seem to be having issues retrieving mail while the MacBook sleeps as well. I checked the console and the MacBook is indeed waking up every hour, but it is not performing its tasks as it should.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.