Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1
OsloBergen
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Need help finding solution for M4V audio conversion and extraction

I converted all of my BD's to play on my aTV 3 with AC3 audio tracks. I recently started re-converting for my aTV 3 and iPad 3.

I'm converting the multi-channel audio to AAC stereo and AC3 6-channel. Any stereo or mono tracks like commentaries or original audio are keeping their original mix just being converted to AAC.

I've spent the last week ripping and converting everything again, naturally, this is taking a long time. All I want is new audio tracks as everything else can stay the same, so I've been looking for a solution to handle converting and extracting audio tracks.

I tried MP4Tools last night, but it won't allow me to open any .m4v files. I thought MP4Tools was the MP4 editor and MKVTools was the MKV editor, did I misunderstand something?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by OsloBergen; Nov 10, 2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Changed title so the intent of my post was more clear
OsloBergen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
ProudLoz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
What I do when I need to redo an audio track, and just an audio track, is load the original source on Hanbrake, use the universal setting and slide the RF slider to the lowest setting (all the way to the left) and adjust the Audio Settings like I want to. Now, since MP4tools doesn't load .m4v files like you mentioned, I instead use the MKV extension and use MKVTools to extract the audio once hanbrake is done converting it, and then use Subler to mux it into the .m4v file I want.

This process takes roughly 20 minutes.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
OsloBergen
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try that and see what I can come up with.

EmmGunn responded to my email about MP4Tools not opening .m4v files and suggested that I try the beta release. I'll do that too.

I'll see what happens and post my results.

Thanks again.
OsloBergen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4
OsloBergen
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Almost got it.

I downloaded the beta for MP4Tools which worked in opening the .m4v file. From there it was just a matter of making a few selections to my custom preset a hitting convert.

My only complaint at this point is that in the resulting file, the audio tracks are reversed. I tested it with my Dazed and Confused BD, so the first track that plays is the AAC commentary next is the AAC 2-channel down-mix and finally last is the 5.1 AC3 track. Maybe it's another setting I missed. If anyone knows of a way to change the order of tracks in a file any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
OsloBergen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5
mic j
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloBergen View Post
I downloaded the beta for MP4Tools which worked in opening the .m4v file. From there it was just a matter of making a few selections to my custom preset a hitting convert.

My only complaint at this point is that in the resulting file, the audio tracks are reversed. I tested it with my Dazed and Confused BD, so the first track that plays is the AAC commentary next is the AAC 2-channel down-mix and finally last is the 5.1 AC3 track. Maybe it's another setting I missed. If anyone knows of a way to change the order of tracks in a file any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Open the file in Subler and drag the tracks into the order that you want. Not familiar enough with mp4tools to tell you if there is a way to do it there.
__________________
17" MBP '09, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; 13" MBP (Retina) '12, 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM; iPad 2, 32GB; iPhone 5s; AE; AppleTV 3; AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsloBergen View Post
Thanks for the suggestion I'll try that and see what I can come up with.

EmmGunn responded to my email about MP4Tools not opening .m4v files and suggested that I try the beta release. I'll do that too.

I'll see what happens and post my results.

Thanks again.
The beta should be preferred always, for any kind of conversion.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
OsloBergen
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Open the file in Subler and drag the tracks into the order that you want. Not familiar enough with mp4tools to tell you if there is a way to do it there.
I never had luck with .mkv files in Subler, so I never considered it. However, it worked great and did exactly what I needed.

Thanks for all the suggestions and helping me with this.
OsloBergen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help finding a backup solution. Rouphis Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Apr 19, 2013 03:59 PM
M4V with multiple audio mpossjr Apple TV and Home Theater 16 Feb 20, 2013 11:39 PM
MKV to M4V Conversion App with VobSub (.sub) capability? macUser2007 Apple TV and Home Theater 7 Oct 31, 2012 04:53 PM
MKV to M4V Conversion App with VobSub (.sub) capability? macUser2007 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Oct 30, 2012 07:34 PM
MediaHuman Audio Converter - Great free audio conversion Donka Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Oct 10, 2012 05:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC