Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

David Petraeus resigns

Quote:
David Petraeus resigned his post as director of the Central Intelligence Agency on Friday, citing an extramarital affair.

”Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA,” Petraeus said in a statement to CIA staff. “After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz2Bl7dbTyv

Timing seems interesting. Nothing like the head of the CIA to lay himself open to blackmail. Another GOP long shot bites the dust... you'd think these guys could keep their dicks in their pants, country first and family values and all.

Oh well.
Blue Velvet is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:31 PM   #2
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Timing seems interesting. Nothing like the head of the CIA to lay himself open to blackmail. Another GOP long shot bites the dust... you'd think these guys could keep their dicks in their pants, country first and family values and all.

Oh well.
Oops. As you know, the call of a wild POA is hard to resist.

(edit) Oh, how long before FoxNews tries to suggest that there is a connection between this and Bengazi?
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:36 PM   #3
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Will he still be required to testify at next week's hearings?

Also, pics or it didn't happen. At least, produce the other party.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
As you know, the call of a wild POA is hard to resist.

Excuse me?

Don't wait until Fox News regurgitates these into tiny minds, only to appear here. Selected posts from FreeRepublic:

Quote:
He knew too much about Benghazi.
They've greased him.
Quote:
Catherine Harris is saying take his reason at face value but look at timeline of Benghazi. Questioning if he will still testify.
Quote:
Right after the election. Hillary isn’t wasting any time. The guy was supposed to shut up and fall on his sword over Benghazi.

Wheels within wheels. Pass the aluminum foil.
Blue Velvet is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Excuse me?
Sorry, no offense meant. Just pointing out, as you probably know, that sometimes a wild POA can be difficult to resist. Many of us do every day, but you, as an adult, have to have been tempted at some point in your life.

I meant no disrespect.
mcrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:41 PM   #6
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Wheels within wheels. Pass the aluminum foil.
They're still talking about this? Don't they realize they already lost the election and their manufactured controversy to try to win over votes didn't work?

These people are PATHETIC. There's not another word for it.

These people need to take a LONG look in the mirror and then take a look at reality.
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
MacNut
macrumors P6

You would think the leader of the CIA would know better. Timing does seem odd tho, why wait until days after the election.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
kavika411
Banned

Quote:

Oh well.
I agree. The resignation of Obama's CIA head is about the GOP. I'll even go one step farther; this is Bush's fault.
kavika411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:31 PM   #9
thewitt
macrumors 68000

There will be more actions to make everyone who knows what happened in Libya disappear. You can count on it.

You've been fooled.

Most of the people who voted to retain this administration didn't even know we had an organzed September 11th terrorist attack on our embassies around the world.
thewitt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:33 PM   #10
B777Forevar
macrumors 6502a

I might be treading into "i want to believe/TIN FOIL POWER HOUR" territory, but there has to be something more to his resignation than just "I slept with another women".
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:48 PM   #11
NT1440
macrumors G3

Regardless of what Woodward's book says about him, he was a terrible and egotistical general. His surge idea wasn't even his, and it doesn't work, not if the goal is lessening violence and getting out of combat.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:49 PM   #12
jsw
Moderator emeritus

I'm just chuckling over the fact that Broadwell's book is titled "All In".

Yes, I'm 12.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:21 PM   #13
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCamenarum View Post
Will he still be required to testify at next week's hearings?
I can't imagine why not. But, current or former head of CIA, either way he would still have to be extremely careful not to reveal anything that might affect current or future operations.

Quote:
Also, pics or it didn't happen. At least, produce the other party.

http://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-cont...2506567743.jpg

I doubt seriously this is some kind of political play. According to this article, the FBI was driving the investigation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20276610

The problem might be (pure speculation) that during his background check, before becoming head of the CIA, he was probably asked certain very specific questions. If his answers at the time were not forthcoming, that would be a problem later.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:06 PM   #14
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
There will be more actions to make everyone who knows what happened in Libya disappear. You can count on it.

You've been fooled.

Most of the people who voted to retain this administration didn't even know we had an organzed September 11th terrorist attack on our embassies around the world.
You can't even tell the difference between the actual terrorist attack on the embassy in Benghazi and protests at embassies in Cairo, Yemen, Tunisia, etc for nearly two weeks over the Innocence of Muslims video?

They're two completely separate things.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

So Petraeus did betray us. Or was it just his wife...?
Andeavor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:21 AM   #16
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:

Oh well.
Frankly, I've always said that any public figure's private life should not have any bearing on his or her ability to do their job unless of course security issues are involved.

Clinton didn't do too badly now did he?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:24 AM   #17
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Frankly, I've always said that any public figure's private life should not have any bearing on his or her ability to do their job unless of course security issues are involved.
I agree, but this kind of behavior opens the door to potential blackmailing, and he can't risk that, considering his position within the CIA. Too bad, he should have known better, resigning is the right thing to do, now.
juanm is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:26 AM   #18
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm View Post
I agree, but this kind of behavior opens the door to potential blackmailing. Too bad, he should have known better, resigning is the right thing to do, now.
Yep, and resign is what clinton should have done too...Monica whatshername could easily have been privy to secure information too..And in case people think I'm a roaring Republican, I not. I'm actually a die hard democrat, but what fits for one should fit all...Even at the top.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:29 AM   #19
fox10078
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yep, and resign is what clinton should have done too...Monica whatshername could easily have been privy to secure information too..And in case people think I'm a roaring Republican, I not. I'm actually a die hard democrat, but what fits for one should fit all...Even at the top.
Oh think of it if clinton resigned. Gore comes in, shows how good he would have been at president and secures reelection in 2000. The world would be a different place, a very very different place.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:38 AM   #20
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox10078 View Post
Oh think of it if clinton resigned. Gore comes in, shows how good he would have been at president and secures reelection in 2000. The world would be a different place, a very very different place.
Very true, and probably why he got away with it. A President Gore would not have filled me with any confidence at all, and Clinton was a damn good statesman and diplomat IMO...All the C*** about Tony Blair resolving the Northern Island issue? I think Clinton's efforts counted for more there.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:40 AM   #21
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Once it's out, how would someone really blackmail them?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:15 AM   #22
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Monica worked in the White House and was already legally bound by the NDA's that accompany such a high level job (even as an intern).
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:26 AM   #23
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Interesting interview of Paula Broadwell on the Daily Show last January.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...aula-broadwell

Watching it—knowing what we allegedly know now—is pretty revealing.

If Petraeus did have any aspirations to be president, he'll have to rethink those plans now.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:30 AM   #24
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
You would think the leader of the CIA would know better. Timing does seem odd tho, why wait until days after the election.
You'd think that a president would know better also....Oh wait a minute, Bill Clinton was a democrat, rules are different I guess.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:44 AM   #25
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
You'd think that a president would know better also....Oh wait a minute, Bill Clinton was a democrat, rules are different I guess.
Yeah ... Bill got off scot free.

citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues