Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #26
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Yeah ... Bill got off scot free.

I just find it ironic that for Clinton, liberals were essentially saying it was no big deal, while for Petraeus everyone is coming out of the woodwork to condemn him.
glocke12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:59 AM   #27
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:02 AM   #28
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
I just find it ironic that for Clinton, liberals were essentially saying it was no big deal, while for Petraeus everyone is coming out of the woodwork to condemn him.
If you think the reaction the Patraeus is more substantial than the one to Clinton, we have very different memories of what it was like with Clinton.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:05 AM   #29
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
If you think the reaction the Patraeus is more substantial than the one to Clinton, we have very different memories of what it was like with Clinton.
I don't recall the same amount of criticism from the liberal left...On the contrary, I remember that group essentially saying it was not a big deal...feel free to prove me wrong though.

It also does not matter if Monica had access to classified information. The president opened himself up to blackmail.
glocke12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:13 AM   #30
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:39 AM   #31
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I don't recall the same amount of criticism from the liberal left...On the contrary, I remember that group essentially saying it was not a big deal...feel free to prove me wrong though.

It also does not matter if Monica had access to classified information. The president opened himself up to blackmail.
I misread: yes, from liberals, the reaction was muted, because it wasn't a big deal, and for most liberals who aren't motivated purely by political motives, the Patraeus affair is no big deal at all either.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:42 AM   #32
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:44 AM   #33
kavika411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw View Post
I misread: yes, from liberals, the reaction was muted, because it wasn't a big deal, and for most liberals who aren't motivated purely by political motives, the Patraeus affair is no big deal at all either.
Agreed. Hence still trying to understand the "GOP" reference in the OP. Unless, of course, this is in fact another liberal partisan thread.
kavika411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:52 AM   #34
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 11, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #35
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Are you serious? Newt Gingrich has had at least two extra-marital affairs, and was still in the Republican primaries in 2012. Clinton got impeached. Political reaction to infidelity is hardly the partisan smearjob you are trying to demonstrate.

Last edited by Iscariot; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: speel gud
Iscariot is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:09 AM   #36
Huntn
macrumors 604

People in positions of power seem to have women throwing themselves at them. The temptation is there and it effects all political parties. ; )
Huntn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:10 AM   #37
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Timing seems interesting. Nothing like the head of the CIA to lay himself open to blackmail. Another GOP long shot bites the dust... you'd think these guys could keep their dicks in their pants, country first and family values and all.

Oh well.
Right because it's ok if your wife is dying of cancer and you're running for President. Pot. Kettle.
haxrnick is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:18 AM   #38
MacNut
macrumors P6

Did the FBI hold out on telling the President until after the election because that is when they completed their investigation or did they not want this to get in the way? And would this of had any affect on the outcome or was this "Washington as usual".
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:25 AM   #39
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't see everyone coming out of the woodwork to condemn him. Just the opposite, in fact. For example:

Quote:
Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, told NBC News that Petraeusís personal mistake should not have led to his departure.

"I would have stood up for him," Feinstein said in response to his indiscretion. "I wanted him to continue. He was good, he loved the work, and he had a command of intelligence issues second to none."

But, I think the FBI, and General Petraeus himself, must have seen a larger problem. I think this might be the problem:

Quote:
Petraeus' biographer, Paula Broadwell, is under FBI investigation for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Friday. She is the author of Petraeus' biography, "All In." Broadwell had extensive access to Petraeus in Afghanistan and has given numerous television interviews speaking about him.

Broadwell could not be reached by NBC News for comment.

Petraeus himself is not under investigation.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...al-affair?lite
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:31 AM   #40
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I don't see everyone coming out of the woodwork to condemn him. Just the opposite, in fact. For example:

But, I think the FBI, and General Petraeus himself, must have seen a larger problem. I think this might be the problem:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...al-affair?lite
Of all the people to sleep with you pick the one that knows the most about you.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:32 AM   #41
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

No security breach, no information leaked, no threat to national security and he is forced to retire.

A man that gets blow jobs in the oval office is a high profile supporter of the current president.

Makes sense
bruinsrme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:35 AM   #42
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
No security breach, no information leaked, no threat to national security ...
How do you know this?

Source please.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:40 AM   #43
malman89
macrumors 65816

Flip side, how about Paula Bradwell? Hounding him since her grad school days, persuading, chasing, and potentially exploiting Petraeus. Obviously he isn't without fault, but her career to date has been made off of General Petraeus - her Ph.D. study, her book sales, all of her recognition.

Looking forward to more information either way.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:52 AM   #44
kavika411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
He was peddled as a potential GOP candidate
I agree. The thread doesn't seem to be about Petraeus at all. Rather, it's about the boogeyman GOP'ers who pushed him as a candidate for something all the while they themselves may or may not have had the utmost moral character.

I guess that thread title would have been too long.

Quote:
The rest is somewhat of a generalization based on the GOP party platform.
Thank goodness, because we don't have enough of those.

Quote:
Unless Petraeus was one of the people affiliated with the GOP pushing the "traditional family values" message, I'd say leave the man in peace. If he did push it however, he deserves to be ripped a new one for being a hypocrite.
Yep. Waiting for links.
kavika411 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:01 PM   #45
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
People in positions of power seem to have women throwing themselves at them. The temptation is there and it effects all political parties. ; )
It is true that people in positions of power 'seem to have women throwing themselves at them'. And it is true that 'the temptation' is there, but some are more prone to it than others.

However, it is also true that access to, and possession of, power - especially, power without accountability - leads powerful men to develop a sense of entitlement whereby they demand and expect ready sexual access to women, above all, to women who are not always in a position to give what we would call informed consent. Such men frequently allow themselves permission to behave in this manner when they have such power - a manner where the normal rituals of courtship, of wooing and winning, are often dispensed with.

Re the issue under discussion, once state or mission security is possibly compromised, (and the individual in question is caught) questions arise about the judgement of the individual. This is more damning than betrayal of spouses.

Re Bill Clinton, my recollection is that most thinking Democrats were disgusted and fairly appalled at the then President's disgraceful conduct at that time, not only because of the action itself, but also because it could be used against President Clinton as a means of destroying his credibility and undermining his legislative programme.

And some were utterly appalled at his testimony. The fact that he abused his position in such a way, and did so in the Oval Office itself (rather than say, hotel rooms, or bedrooms), and was most certainly evasive and mendacious in his testimony (although almost everyone lies when they have sexual relations with someone whom they are not supposed to have sex with), all combined to give the Republicans ammunition to undermine his administration almost fatally; unfortunately, while it was a Republican witch-hunt (partly inspired by hatred of both Clintons), Bill Clinton, by his conduct, gave them the means to undermine his administration. However, the vicious witch-hunt - and this is not an unfair term - which followed was most certainly designed to inflict maximum public humiliation on President Clinton.

In general, as a European, I suppose I fall into the camp that says one's sexual and private life should remain just that, private, unless there is a danger to security, or a flagrant disconnect between public rhetoric (such as on 'family and traditional values') and private conduct.

Other issues, such as a breach of trust, are for the respective spouses to deal with. However, there are areas where I feel matters are less clear-cut - such as where there is an abuse of power in such a relationship.
Scepticalscribe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:09 PM   #46
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

I'm not clear why Petraeus resigned.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:20 PM   #47
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
I'm not clear why Petraeus resigned.
Who here is?

I doubt it was solely based on his having an affair. I have to believe that there were exacerbating circumstances ... or a pattern of behavior that may have been revealed by this affair.

But resign over one dalliance? I don't think so.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:26 PM   #48
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Who here is?

I doubt it was solely based on his having an affair. I have to believe that there were exacerbating circumstances ... or a pattern of behavior that may have been revealed by this affair.

But resign over one dalliance? I don't think so.
The timing itself is strange, release the news late Friday when the news cycles are ending, 3 days after a major election. If this was such a huge investigation why did it all come out late Friday. Supposedly the FBI has been looking into this for over a year.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:37 PM   #49
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
Agreed. So long as he didn't brag about classified stuff he did at the CIA to bag her, who cares where he sticks his winky...
Who cares where anyone does? It's nobody's business but their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
The fact that he abused his position in such a way, and did so in the Oval Office itself (rather than say, hotel rooms, or bedrooms),
abused? a bj in the oval office? that's legendary! haha
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:10 PM   #50
bruinsrme
macrumors 68040

Quote:
How do you know this?

Source please.
How about this. Google it.
bruinsrme is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues