Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
I've upgraded myself and my wife annually to a new iPhone since the 3G model, and always sold the old ones on eBay for a nice price. I have a perfect sellers rating with 21 feedbacks. Never had a problem, until now.

eBay buyers are no longer paying for winning bids. They just stay silent until I have to file an Unpaid Item Case, wait a total of 8 days (wait 4 days, file unpaid item case, wait 4 more days), then try again. This has now happened 6 times in the last month! I'm selling my brother's iPhone 4, my wife's iPad 2, and my iPhone 4S.

I don't get it. On all my past sales, I always got payment minutes after the bid closed and shipped the very next morning.

Through some research I've learned that this is becoming more of a common problem on eBay. eBay does very little enforcement towards buyers, and they rarely bother to ding a buyer's record if they fail to pay. So that means a buyer can win your bid then change their mind and not pay. Or they can bid on many phones at once, win more than one, and only pay for the one they want. No skin off their backs! For sellers, yes you keep your item and can sell again, but it's a hassle and significantly delays the sale.

I don't really want to deal with Craigslist, and other online sale methods don't get enough money for the device. I've always gotten good prices on eBay.

So I'm now attempting to sell the iPad with a fixed price (Buy It Now) and see if that brings better success. I priced it a little lower this time. Hopefully I get a motivated buyer.

Anyone have advice or experience to offer here?

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Here's how to avoid that:
1. List only "Buy Now" sales and check the "Require immediate payment" in the sale listing options (you also pay less fees when you list it as fixed price listing). If you want to know the realistic price for your item, in the sale listing page, above the price, you'll get an option "searching completed listings." There you can make your mind how much the item you want to sell was sold for [look for green color prices, these were sold - comparing to red listing prices that weren't sold).

2. State in your ad that you will disqualify buyers that have less than 5 detailed feedbacks in their profiles

3. Close the listing to US costumers only.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I'm a power seller with 1285 100% positive and sell thousands of dollars worth of stuff monthly and have had my share of bidders not paying. What I do is if I don't get payment within a day, I write them a message and tell them to let me know by the morning if they plan on paying or I will relist. If you don't get a response, relist it and send them a cancelation request. If they don't reply within 7 days, you can close it and you'll get your fees back. From experience, buyers who don't write or pay within the first 24 hours usually never pay. It's much better than going through filing a non paying claim which could take a very long time.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
personally i will sell on craigslist ,easier and you get cash right away,with ebay fees and shipping and paypal wait for 21 days to get your money is just too much.ebay always favours the buyer ,seen cases the buyer just claim they got an empty box...
i mean i sold stuff on ebay before (25 items)all apple stuff but craigslist is better ,make sure you meet in a coffee shop or a public place.
i just file a claim with canada post because the buyer said he never received the item good thing i had $100 insurance but it could take up to 2 months to get that $100.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not much you can do except re-list it. Last year, I had an iPhone 4 non-payer who changed his mind after the auction ended and he was happy to honor the cancellation request. Re-listed it and it sold successfully for $30 more.

dinapea

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
Similar situation

We posted the iP4 Factory Unlocked (Directly from Apple here in Canada). Buyer insisted because of some web search that the model we sold him was LOCKED to an AT&T network .... We gave him a copy of the original receipt. Explained that the phone was used in USA & Europe (as recently as this summer). Suggested the buyer call Apple support, he recorded the conversation and SENT IT TO US and even though the phone call told him the phone was unlocked. He still insisted it was unlocked.

He did pay and he did left positive feedback, but still insisted we made a mistake!

SOrry for your troubles!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Here's how to avoid that:
1. List only "Buy Now" sales and check the "Require immediate payment" in the sale listing options (you also pay less fees when you list it as fixed price listing). If you want to know the realistic price for your item, in the sale listing page, above the price, you'll get an option "searching completed listings." There you can make your mind how much the item you want to sell was sold for [look for green color prices, these were sold - comparing to red listing prices that weren't sold).

2. State in your ad that you will disqualify buyers that have less than 5 detailed feedbacks in their profiles

3. Close the listing to US costumers only.

I'm just now trying the Buy Now option and did price it according to recent sale values. I can't do Require Immediate Payment because I don't have an upgraded eBay account.

As for #2, I can say that, but how do I actually enforce it?

#3: I always do that too. Don't want to deal with international.

----------

I'm a power seller with 1285 100% positive and sell thousands of dollars worth of stuff monthly and have had my share of bidders not paying. What I do is if I don't get payment within a day, I write them a message and tell them to let me know by the morning if they plan on paying or I will relist. If you don't get a response, relist it and send them a cancelation request. If they don't reply within 7 days, you can close it and you'll get your fees back. From experience, buyers who don't write or pay within the first 24 hours usually never pay. It's much better than going through filing a non paying claim which could take a very long time.

So you relist before you have resolved the cancellation with the buyer? Do you run the risk of them paying late and then expecting an item?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
personally i will sell on craigslist ,easier and you get cash right away,with ebay fees and shipping and paypal wait for 21 days to get your money is just too much.ebay always favours the buyer ,seen cases the buyer just claim they got an empty box...

Agreed. I prefer Craigslist to ebay.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!

One of the best responses above. Ebay used to be easier to sell on, but has changed over the years. Sellers must be a lot smarter to beat the scams and non paying. Been selling since on Ebay since 2000 and have always been paid on literally thousands of items. But I set very clear rules in my auctions. I state all my Terms & Conditions clearly in my auction and I do not let anyone abuse them. That is why they are there. I have been fortunate over the years though and have a regular clientele base to deal with. Watch who is bidding and use their feedback to your advantage. If uncomfortable remove them as a bidder.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I'm just now trying the Buy Now option and did price it according to recent sale values. I can't do Require Immediate Payment because I don't have an upgraded eBay account.

As for #2, I can say that, but how do I actually enforce it?

#3: I always do that too. Don't want to deal with international.

----------

So you relist before you have resolved the cancellation with the buyer? Do you run the risk of them paying late and then expecting an item?

I don't know what upgraded account toy need to have the "require immediate payment". I have an account with 65 feedbacks and have this option.
You don't need to enforce the 5 feedbacks or less rule, they just won't buy it from you because they know that you are not a sucker and can smell their scam from miles away. You can cancel any buyer from purchasing your product, especially if you stated that you are not going to sell to 5 or less feedbacks. In addition, I forgot to mention that there are rules you can establish in your listing to avoid people with negative feedback and # of violations.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
The other benefit of using buy-it-now only is the lower final value fee, which is 7% first $50, then 5% of the remainder up to $1000, if I'm not mistaken. It is much higher doing auction style.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
There are like >15 bids on a 4s with broken screen >$400 bux! Something is wrong.

And they bid >$400 even when they are told bad ESN, Water Damaged etc. THEY STILL BID!

eBay is getting to be a waste of time.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I've upgraded myself and my wife annually to a new iPhone since the 3G model, and always sold the old ones on eBay for a nice price. I have a perfect sellers rating with 21 feedbacks. Never had a problem, until now.

eBay buyers are no longer paying for winning bids. They just stay silent until I have to file an Unpaid Item Case, wait a total of 8 days (wait 4 days, file unpaid item case, wait 4 more days), then try again. This has now happened 6 times in the last month! I'm selling my brother's iPhone 4, my wife's iPad 2, and my iPhone 4S.

I don't get it. On all my past sales, I always got payment minutes after the bid closed and shipped the very next morning.

Through some research I've learned that this is becoming more of a common problem on eBay. eBay does very little enforcement towards buyers, and they rarely bother to ding a buyer's record if they fail to pay. So that means a buyer can win your bid then change their mind and not pay. Or they can bid on many phones at once, win more than one, and only pay for the one they want. No skin off their backs! For sellers, yes you keep your item and can sell again, but it's a hassle and significantly delays the sale.

I don't really want to deal with Craigslist, and other online sale methods don't get enough money for the device. I've always gotten good prices on eBay.

So I'm now attempting to sell the iPad with a fixed price (Buy It Now) and see if that brings better success. I priced it a little lower this time. Hopefully I get a motivated buyer.

Anyone have advice or experience to offer here?

Man I stopped buying on eBay after I lost 2k off a sale. eBay treats the customer as always in the right never mind the fact that there good customers and bad customers.

I would try the forums, or Craigslist.

----------

i mean i sold stuff on ebay before (25 items)all apple stuff but craigslist is better ,make sure you meet in a coffee shop or a public place.
i just file a claim with canada post because the buyer said he never received the item good thing i had $100 insurance but it could take up to 2 months to get that $100.
Yup Craigslist fan here. Starbucks is everywhere! So it's a great spot to meet. Bring a buddy along too.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I had a few of those too.
One guy have won a $23 item and when I messaged him next day he said he will send payment 5 days after on Friday when he gets paid.
Im like really dude? You dont even have $23 and you bid on an auction with no money? He responded saying "really".
WTF? Many ignorant people there.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I've only had 1 problem with eBay that landed me in the same situation as you but it was due to my own ignorance of the situation. I was selling my iPhone 4S 64GB, ATT, Black, Unlocked. Last bidder came in and bid a price and was an international bidder (which I allowed) - I stated the international S&H price as well as the long wait before I shipped. Basically I had to get my iPhone 5 before I sent it. The bidder had zero feedback and I knew he was trouble, but I had no clue how to remove his bid. But, I took a leap of faith. Oops. Unpaid case, refund. All's good. I listed again, starting at $399 with a bidding frenzy that went up to $520. Buyer is in Taiwan so S&H is $50 Express USPS. Money was sent within 5 mins of auction end. He's completely fine with the wait; I've reaffirmed this several times.

In short, I've had nothing but great experience on eBay. I've tried Amazon and it's not as easy to control your selling and it takes WEEKS to get your money and you get shafted in shipping. I've sold about 4-5 iPhones from the first one to the 4S. And have conducted at least $4000 in business. I've had no issues, no tricks, no cons, etc. I suppose it really depends on the luck of the draw?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I had this OP problem twice. Rejecting <5 feedback doesn't doesn't help because these guys are experienced ebayers.

I waited 12 hours to have the bidder tell me he was $100 short. 12 hours and I lost the 2nd and 3rd bidders.

So I cancelled, relisted as auction and his bid as a buy it now price.

I also stated that you must pay within 1 hour or I offer to the 2nd highest bidder. Period.

When the bidder won I restated my terms to him. This worked.

I've noticed that is a certain age group and type of person that are causing these problems

Here is what I put on my listing:

USA sales only

NOTE: I had to relist this item, because the winning bidder, bid without having the money to pay. I lost time and 2nd bidders. Therefore:

1. Only bid if you have the funds to complete the bid. Bid on 1 phone at a time.
2. I expect PayPal payment within 1 hour of winning...or a good email explaining why there is a delay.
3. If I don't get the above, I will cancel your winning bid, after 1 hour, and offer to the next highest bidder.

bruceclay85

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
This happens to me quite a bit, just yesterday with an iPad. It really puts the seller out.

I always, always specify terms and conditions in my listing and choose every option to protect myself from low ranking buyers, but it doesn't stop people from non-payment as there is almost no recourse for buyers not paying.

Ebay has become a pretty sad place as of late unfortunately.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is why I parted company with eBay a long time ago...the same tales of woe as posted above. I now sell privately or here where I have 100% positive feedback, and our market place section is a good one. It's sometimes harder to find UK buyers, but my 4S sold for its asking price within 24 hours of my placing the ad.

Another source of free, local ( UK ) advertising is Gumtree...if you just want to list an item and don't post pictures, the ads target your local area and work well.

I just don't trust eBay or PayPal any longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.