Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
diamond3
macrumors 6502a

XDCAM import into FCPX

I've run into issues with FCPX and some XDCAM video files I received from a client. I'm trying to determine the best way to deal with them and get them compatible.

I thought about using Premiere Pro 6, but with the number of files and the organization required, I feel like FCPX is the right program for the job using keyword collections.

File type: XDCAM-EX 1080i30, 35mbits/s in a .mp4 container.

I haven't found a plugin for FCPX that will support it, I really don't want to convert it all to ProRes 422 because of the number of clips and file size it would add. Any thoughts?
diamond3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
diamond3
macrumors 6502a

At this point, any workaround will work. I can't even convert it to ProRes in compressor. MPEG Streamclip will work, but I'd need some sort of automation because I've got hundreds of clips, and doing it one at a time would take hours upon hours. I'll probably end up using premiere, I'm just not too comfortable with it yet.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
derangedcow
macrumors newbie

Use XDCAM Transfer to rewrap them into .movs then throw the .movs into Compressor for ProRes 422
derangedcow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Final Cut Pro X: Importing Sony XDCAM media. FCP X does not support camera formats natively so it's up to each camera manufacture to basically build a plugin for users to install.

Hopefully the client gave you the footage with the XDCAM folder structure intact (as that contains crucial metadata) and not just the bare MP4 files.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:08 AM   #5
initialsBB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedcow View Post
Use XDCAM Transfer to rewrap them into .movs then throw the .movs into Compressor for ProRes 422
No need to to convert them to ProRes, simply rewrapped XDCAM footage works fine. It does sound like the client broke the folder structure, though, because it should just work in FCP X if you installed Sony's plugin.
initialsBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:15 PM   #6
diamond3
macrumors 6502a

Yes, the file structure has been broken. Only one folder out of the 4 was recognized by XDCAM transfer. It looks like I'll be using Premiere Pro. Basically there are a whole bunch of interviews that I was going to categorize with certain keywords. I'm going to start watching some tutorials on premiere to see how to do this.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Tags
fcpx, final cut pro x, xdcam