Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:10 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

7.85-Inch iPad to Ramp Up Production in September at Foxconn Brazil

Bits of information about the rumored 7.85 "iPad Mini" continue to leak out. Japanese blog Mac Otakara now claims that the smaller iPad will be produced in Brazil and will ramp up production starting in September.
Quote:
According to Chinese reliable source, the tablet called iPad mini will be produced in Brazil, however production test to collect data for new cutting machine is already done in China.

Source said that, production phase of this tablet will be started since September, and this tablet should be shipped until holiday season, but announcement will not be so soon.
Mockup of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" next to iPad 2
The smaller version of the tablet is said to include 3G capabilities. Other details remain a bit fuzzy, but the source who claims to have seen a prototype reports that the device will be thinner than rivals including the Kindle Fire. The device is said to be as thin as the 4th Generation iPod Touch.

Multiple sources have now claimed that Apple is coming out with a miniaturized version of the iPad this fall. The most recent report from Bloomberg pinpointed an October launch for the device.

Article Link: 7.85-Inch iPad to Ramp Up Production in September at Foxconn Brazil
MacRumors is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:14 AM   #2
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

This is probably just as likely at the moment as the hideous stretched iPhone 5 prototype that's been touted around. Most likely Apple causing misdirection as part of their new security plan...
Jimrod is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:18 AM   #3
NTurner42
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
This is probably just as likely at the moment as the hideous stretched iPhone 5 prototype that's been touted around. Most likely Apple causing misdirection as part of their new security plan...
^This, I agree.
NTurner42 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:19 AM   #4
kylera
macrumors 6502a

The question is, how will web browsing be like? On the regular iPad, it's pretty good -- text links are easy to tap without making too many mistaps, but if my Galaxy Tab is anything to go by, things might not be as pleasant.

Granted, my Tab is a first-generation model that has a 1024 x 600 resolution compared to 1024 x 768.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:24 AM   #5
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

What is it going to be like? A large iPod touch or a smallish tablet?
To each his own i guess. I reserve judgement until I try it out myself.
macs4nw is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:24 AM   #6
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
*The device is said to be as thin as the 4th Generation iPod Touch.*

Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:27 AM   #7
MuppetGate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olowott View Post
*The device is said to be as thin as the 4th Generation iPod Touch.*

No reason why they can't do this. They've got a lot more surface area to spread the components around.

I just don't see it happening though.
MuppetGate is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:36 AM   #8
bharatgupta
macrumors regular

ipad is still pretty affordable and aggressively priced, this smaller version makes no sense, as it would either kill purpose of ipod touch or might prove as a strong competitor to all the other crap like kindle fire n what not in the market, its very interesting to see how this all develops, nope i dont think apple will announce this.

makes no sense!

----------

making ipad smaller would not be a good step as we need adequate amount of area for a good web experience and apple doesnt offer compromized products, a big screen ipad can make sense not shrinking it down even further.

if anyone has used ipad the screen is just right nothing larger nor smaller would do a good justice, it just shrinks down everything.

apple wont do it, its a false rumor in my opinion!
bharatgupta is offline   -20 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:38 AM   #9
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
What's so unlikely about either?
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:43 AM   #10
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
How many years has this rumor been going? Give up on it already.

"The new small ipad due out this year!"

"I know we said last year it was coming out but this year we're sure!"

"OK, OK. We know the last two years we said it was coming out but this is the year!"

Are these stories ran by the seventh day evangelists?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:45 AM   #11
saintforlife
macrumors 6502a

Apple will one day own a majority of the touch screen market from 3.5" to 9.7". You can call it the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad mini, iPad maxi whatever. The lines between them are blurring every passing year.
saintforlife is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:47 AM   #12
MeinKraft
macrumors newbie

What's the point of a smaller iPad? You would truly be better off with th regular iPad size. It seems a little unnecessary to decrease the size of one of your products to compete with another company...
MeinKraft is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:51 AM   #13
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

There's no way a company like Apple could pull something like this off. It will fail. Badly.
Puevlo is offline   -53 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:55 AM   #14
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

At what point does an iPad become Mini and an iPod Touch become Large? Or more specifically, when does a pod become a pad??...

Oh no's my brain is melting! Is a glass of water half full or half empty???

Last edited by miniroll32; Jul 8, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
miniroll32 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:01 AM   #15
bharatgupta
macrumors regular

Y U NO MAKE IPOD TOUCH BIGGER, BETTER WITH REGARDS TO COMPETITION AND NOT SCREW IPAD BY MAKING IT SMALLER?
bharatgupta is offline   -26 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:05 AM   #16
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
That iPad Mini "Mockup" is simply a case of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbd3E6tK2U
MacBookPro13" is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:06 AM   #17
princigalli
macrumors 6502

I need one.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:11 AM   #18
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

It will need a better screen res than 1024x768
Eadfrith is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:21 AM   #19
MIDI_EVIL
macrumors 65816

If this is true, then I'll buy this instead of the Google Nexus 7. There are still many more premium tablet apps available on iOS vs Android. Paper is one of them.

Personally, 9.7" iPad is too cumbersome.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:25 AM   #20
Kalebra47
macrumors newbie

not an ipad mini

i'm tellin ya; they are not likely to glaze over 'the word of steve' this soon atleast, that's my opinion; all this is my opinion: this will be an ipod touch xl. money they don't have a model with 3g/4g, it will be wifi only. this will be considered an entry level device to the ipad (which i also believe in light of microsoft surface will see a feature-add spec-bump to compete ala ipad pro? maybe..) it'll compete directly with the kindle fire and the new nexus tablet. you are still gonna pay a premium on it for that little fruit logo so i am guessing starting base at $250+ up to the largest storage capacity at no more than $499. this will fit that sweat spot they are missin between the current ipod touch models that top out at $399 and the entry level price of the ipad at $499.

like i said, this is all my own opinion
Kalebra47 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:26 AM   #21
robinthoms2
macrumors newbie

I hope It would need a better screen.
robinthoms2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:35 AM   #22
tpelton
macrumors newbie

Not a bad idea...

Cover the range of practical screen sizes (avoid losing a substantial part of the market that would prefer that size)

Offer a less expensive option - desperately needed to win the education market in the end.

Remember when the iPad was first announced. Many saw it as simply a big iPod Touch and thought it would only have a limited market. Pundits were speculating that total sales would be very low. But it was a paradigm shift. It was a computer for the masses. My 86 year old MIL loves hers. They sold tens of millions.

Now look at the education market. $500 is too much to spend on a child or ask a parent to spring for. $250 isn't much more than we used to expect in terms of graphing calculators. They have smaller fingers, and are more comfortable working on small screens. This has to happen to capture the education market.
tpelton is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:37 AM   #23
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

While I'd never want to own a 7" tablet, this may be good for the people who think the ipad is too big. If they price it at $250, then it's a worthy competitor to the nexus 7
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error

Last edited by adildacoolset; Jul 7, 2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: You dont need to know
adildacoolset is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:38 AM   #24
bharatgupta
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpelton View Post
Cover the range of practical screen sizes (avoid losing a substantial part of the market that would prefer that size)

Offer a less expensive option - desperately needed to win the education market in the end.

Remember when the iPad was first announced. Many saw it as simply a big iPod Touch and thought it would only have a limited market. Pundits were speculating that total sales would be very low. But it was a paradigm shift. It was a computer for the masses. My 86 year old MIL loves hers. They sold tens of millions.

Now look at the education market. $500 is too much to spend on a child or ask a parent to spring for. $250 isn't much more than we used to expect in terms of graphing calculators. They have smaller fingers, and are more comfortable working on small screens. This has to happen to capture the education market.
yes because what most people do with their computers was web surfing, content consumption and amount of web usage on smart phone was increasing, so apple played their cards right, remember netbooks? they were so pathetic to use and people were buying netbooks like crazy, apple again read all those data and introduced ipad, a capable internet device that was just needed by consumers.

even today ipad is king of content consumption device and i love it, who would want to carry a laptop if u can surf web on a much capable device like ipad? makes sense
bharatgupta is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:40 AM   #25
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMar View Post
How many years has this rumor been going? Give up on it already.

"The new small ipad due out this year!"

"I know we said last year it was coming out but this year we're sure!"

"OK, OK. We know the last two years we said it was coming out but this is the year!"

Are these stories ran by the seventh day evangelists?
1. Keep repeating same rumour each year.
2. Get page hits.
3. Proclaim yourself winner if it eventually happens!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion