Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Rogifan
macrumors G3

iPads everywhere at software conference I attended

I just got back from the Tableau software conference in San Diego. There were thousands of people at this conference. Everyone I saw using a tablet was using an iPad. Windows laptops everywhere of course as it was a business conference, but tablets? iPad, iPad, iPad. Of course this is antidotal as I didn't see every person at the conference. But I also noticed it at the airport and on the plane. There again everyone I saw using a tablet was using an iPad. It does make me wonder about the statistics that iPad marketshare is declining. Where are all these people using other tablets? Especially with the Fire and Nexus 7 not being available in many countries outside of the United States. My bigger question is, how is market share calculated when many companies, like Amazon, refuse to disclose sales figures? Are these just guesses then? Guesses based on what, exactly?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

I've never seen a non-ipad tablet in public. I see them displayed at stables or Office Depot, but never at the airport or the coffee shop.
1rottenapple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3
zhenya
macrumors 68020

I feel the same way - both about iPads as well as iPhones. In both cases there are these large marketshares supposedly held by other devices, but I rarely see them in the real-world. Of the 25 people or so at my office, it's 2 Android phones and 1 Kindle tablet to everyone else with iPhones and iPads. The same when I travel (although especially with phones, less so overseas). Where are all these other devices?

I don't get it.
zhenya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Vitrum
Banned

Depends on the country, usa its flooded with ipads and iphones.
Vitrum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitrum View Post
Ok and this is a class division... Most of my friends are iPhone users. They have post graduate degrees (masters or more). Our clients are low income and they have android phones or blackberry. Go figure.
1rottenapple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:57 PM   #6
in2tech
macrumors member

If I am not mistaken Apple reports actual sold to customer figures, where as someone like Samsung reports shipped numbers. So Apple are actual sales, (not sure if they deduct returns but I would think so if they have the information). And of course Amazon doesn't report any figures.

And what a lot of people don't think about when comparing sales figures the other numbers are from all companies that make that device. Apple only sales the iPad, iPhone, etc...all it's versions of course!

Plus Apple makes all the profit from these devices. The other companies split the profit and Google gives away the operating system I think!

I have always wondered if Google makes that much on mobile advertising to warrant not charging a license fee!
in2tech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:04 PM   #7
noteple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2tech View Post
If I am not mistaken Apple reports actual sold to customer figures, where as someone like Samsung reports shipped numbers. So Apple are actual sales, (not sure if they deduct returns but I would think so if they have the information). And of course Amazon doesn't report any figures.

And what a lot of people don't think about when comparing sales figures the other numbers are from all companies that make that device. Apple only sales the iPad, iPhone, etc...all it's versions of course!

Plus Apple makes all the profit from these devices. The other companies split the profit and Google gives away the operating system I think!

I have always wondered if Google makes that much on mobile advertising to warrant not charging a license fee!
You are correct.
Apple reports sold or in the hands of a consumer
Others report shipped. Most are still in stores, closets, or being returned.

Everywhere, airplanes, coffee shops, board rooms, college campuses, its mostly Apple.
noteple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:27 PM   #8
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rottenapple View Post
Ok and this is a class division... Most of my friends are iPhone users. They have post graduate degrees (masters or more). Our clients are low income and they have android phones or blackberry. Go figure.
This is getting to be beyond stupidity at this point.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #9
hrl
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to hrl
Quote:
This is also true in Indonesia where cheap droids and blackberries are quite popular among low-incomes.
hrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Vitrum
Banned

Quote:
Depends on the country my friend lol in the states full of iphones and ipads but in others countrys they are not that common my brothers is civil enginner yet he uses a blackberry, not everyone enjoys the kool-aid.
Vitrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:33 PM   #11
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrl View Post
This is also true in Indonesia where cheap droids and blackberries are quite popular among low-incomes.
In Hong Kong, from my observation Apple/Samsung is about 50/50, with the division not by income but by education level.
haruhiko is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:03 AM   #12
nfl46
macrumors 601

I saw a lady tonight at Walmart using a Mini. She look like she was on lunch break.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:11 AM   #13
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitrum View Post
I can confirm that almost everyone e in my class in Zambia owns iPads. The rest don't own a tablet
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:11 AM   #14
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Repeating the same line for years doesn't make it true.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:15 AM   #15
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

This seems to be the same mystery as to why iOS has a higher web traffic share than android for both tabs and phones. Like a much higher share.

Oh well, I guess the android users are camping inside their dark rooms, customizing their devices until they become mad whenever they see a choice. They only come out at dawn when they need to buy SD cards and batteries
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad