Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
aka777
macrumors 6502a

iPad 3 vs iPad Mini - Skeptic but now a believer

Now, I took a lot of heat regarding the technical limitations of the ipad Mini screen. However, I was just at a best buy and looked at the two side by side.

In my honest opinion, the mini actually looked better than the ipad 3. The lack of retina was negligible considering that they have squeezed the pixels in such a small device. I had to keep the mini within inches of my face to really notice the pixel difference. However, the screen and colors just seemed so much richer than the ipad 3 next to it, which seemed dull.

This makes picking between the ipad 4 and the ipad 3 much more difficult. The size and weight of the mini is just awesome. I can without a doubt say that the ipad mini is going to be the new norm. It's the perfect size to take with you - out and about. Cannot wait for the LTE version.

Had apple honestly put retina and the A6 in it too, their competitors might as well have given up and closed down.
aka777 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

Couldn't disagree more. Colors are richer on the three and text is substantially clearer.
h00ligan is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:13 PM   #3
nfl46
macrumors 601

Well, I want that Mini you were looking at. Compared to my iPad 3, my mini colors look dull.
nfl46 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502

Observer bias anyone?

The ipad 3 display objectively measures better than the mini in all respects.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:19 PM   #5
davey1107
macrumors newbie

Could tell the difference, but it was negligible

Playing with the iPad Mini in the Apple store, I could definitely tell the difference in the display. Text was visually "fuzzier," but only slightly.

This isn't a slam on the Mini, if you look at my other posts you'll see I've written on why this was exactly what Apple needed this holiday season. I believe retina came down to a question of cost. Apple could make their $329 mini with what 18 months ago we were calling the "7th wonder of the digital world" (the non-retina display), or they could have offered a $400 mini with retina.

Buyers last Christmas spoke loud and clear. The "budget tablet" market is about price or size - this is why they're buying those tablets. Mini offers the smaller form factor for those who needed it, and while $329 isn't $200, Apple has really narrowed the gap. Their thinking is that budget buyers will spring for the cheaper mini, not really caring about retina, while those who want the best in tech will...as they have done by a massive margin...stick with the classic larger iPad.

Only the post-xmas sales figures will tell us if their decision was correct, but based on my USC Business School education, my money is on Apple.
davey1107 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:32 PM   #6
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
Couldn't disagree more. Colors are richer on the three and text is substantially clearer.
Well yes, obviously the text and icons were not as sharp on the mini, however the differences are not that big either. Maybe it was just the way i was holding them.

The colors for some reason looked much richer on the mini.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1107 View Post
Buyers last Christmas spoke loud and clear. The "budget tablet" market is about price or size - this is why they're buying those tablets. Mini offers the smaller form factor for those who needed it, and while $329 isn't $200, Apple has really narrowed the gap. Their thinking is that budget buyers will spring for the cheaper mini, not really caring about retina, while those who want the best in tech will...as they have done by a massive margin...stick with the classic larger iPad.

Only the post-xmas sales figures will tell us if their decision was correct, but based on my USC Business School education, my money is on Apple.
That's pretty much it.

This is also the first of the line, so Apple was not going to spend up buying expensive machinery and developing expensive processes on a product line with no sales figures. Now that they have seen that it too is a hit, they can invest the capital required to develop and produce the custom 7.9" retina.
aka777 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
BFW122083
macrumors 6502

I returned my mini for an iPad 4 today. I wanted to like the mini, I really did. I spent two days with it and I just couldn't get past the display. I LOVED the size, look, and weight but just couldn't get passed the screen. It's the only apple product I have ever bought that I felt like I was "trying" to like. Very happy typing this on my new ipad 4
BFW122083 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:37 PM   #8
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFW122083 View Post
I returned my mini for an iPad 4 today. I wanted to like the mini, I really did. I spent two days with it and I just couldn't get past the display. I LOVED the size, look, and weight but just couldn't get passed the screen. It's the only apple product I have ever bought that I felt like I was "trying" to like. Very happy typing this on my new ipad 4
People are just spoiled and Apple did this with the retina display... However, I think folks carry this stuff to a ridiculous level sometimes. I had the iPad 3, sold it, got the iPad 4, along with the iPad mini I did this because of my concerns about the display. However, after using it now for well over a week. I am actually using the mini so much more than the 4 I've decided to return the iPad 4 in favor of the iPad Mini.

Its true the display isn't as crisp for text and colors aren't as vivid.. but the portability and the way you can use this thing absolutely made it a keeper hands down.
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:40 PM   #9
AlterZgo
macrumors member

As an owner of an iPad 2 and iPad 3, I love the new mini I bought. Yes, the lower resolution is noticeable, but I still find the mini very usable for reading magazines, surfing the net, playing games, etc. IMO, the size is PERFECT whereas the iPad 2 and 3 always felt large and somewhat heavy.

When I go back to my iPad 3, the text looks astoundingly nice, but I still use the mini about 90% of the time because it is so light, portable, and very easy to hold in 1 hand for extending reading. Weight of the iPad 3 bothers me much more than the lower resolution text when reading for hours.
AlterZgo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:27 AM   #10
Ccrew
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post

In my honest opinion, the mini actually looked better than the ipad 3.
Oh, I highly disagree. I own both, not just look at them in a store. I like the mini for it's form factor, but owning an iPad3 and a rMBP that screen on the mini is definitely a step backwards.

An LTE Mini w/retina? All the tablet I would ever need.
Ccrew is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:54 AM   #11
jihan33
macrumors newbie

I think that ipad 3 is better then ipad mini.
jihan33 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:26 AM   #12
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Oh, I highly disagree. I own both, not just look at them in a store.
It is tricky comparing screens in-store. For example many people see little or no difference between iPad 2 and iPad with retina in-store, but take them both home it's like night and day.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:37 AM   #13
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
Now, I took a lot of heat regarding the technical limitations of the ipad Mini screen. However, I was just at a best buy and looked at the two side by side.

In my honest opinion, the mini actually looked better than the ipad 3. The lack of retina was negligible considering that they have squeezed the pixels in such a small device.
I think the mini is quite good. Yet it's not better than the display on my iPad 3.

But if you think the mini is good, you should see my Nexus 7. With a much higher ppi than Apples basic screen, it's a real winner.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:47 AM   #14
roguefury
macrumors member

Agreed
roguefury is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:13 AM   #15
BFW122083
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
People are just spoiled and Apple did this with the retina display... However, I think folks carry this stuff to a ridiculous level sometimes. I had the iPad 3, sold it, got the iPad 4, along with the iPad mini I did this because of my concerns about the display. However, after using it now for well over a week. I am actually using the mini so much more than the 4 I've decided to return the iPad 4 in favor of the iPad Mini.

Its true the display isn't as crisp for text and colors aren't as vivid.. but the portability and the way you can use this thing absolutely made it a keeper hands down.
You are right. Apple spoiled me with retina displays. I love retina displays, love them. When I swapped my mini for the new 4 I knew for me it was the right decision. My wife thought the display looked fine, but she is coming from a macbook air and an iPad 2. For me it would be taking a step backwards. I mean the display is what you stare at when you use it! Maybe I should have given it longer than a couple days, but I just felt like I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't have to try and like it, you know?
BFW122083 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:39 AM   #16
bigboar
macrumors 6502

I had the mini but started getting headaches while using it. I loved the form factor but ended up returning it for a 4. Gotta admit, I am glad I did. No more headaches and the screen(whole unit actually)is impressive..
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:42 AM   #17
urkel
macrumors 68020

The Mini is the product ive been begging for and I absolutely love it despite its flaws. But to claim the screen looks better than the iPad 3?!?! Cmon.

I feel the screen is good but the screen complaints are more related to Apple's decision to shrink a 9.7" UI onto a 7.9" tablet with NO customization. Fix that next update and the product is better but the screen will still remain vastly inferior to a true retina display.

Last edited by urkel; Nov 10, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
urkel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:44 AM   #18
nanotoj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urkel View Post
The Mini is the product ive been begging for and I absolutely love it despite its flaws. But to claim the screen looks better than the iPad 3?!?! Cmon.
Ditto
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:51 AM   #19
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

The 3 has a lot more colors than the mini and is more crisp. I'm used the TS was just excited in the moment.
iPhone 5s 16gb
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:14 AM   #20
questioner76
macrumors member

Couldn't have said it better myself! If you can afford both, I highly recommend it. The mini is just so usable. Even though the screen isn't retina, it's really only distracting when you're comparing against an iPad 3 or 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
As an owner of an iPad 2 and iPad 3, I love the new mini I bought. Yes, the lower resolution is noticeable, but I still find the mini very usable for reading magazines, surfing the net, playing games, etc. IMO, the size is PERFECT whereas the iPad 2 and 3 always felt large and somewhat heavy.

When I go back to my iPad 3, the text looks astoundingly nice, but I still use the mini about 90% of the time because it is so light, portable, and very easy to hold in 1 hand for extending reading. Weight of the iPad 3 bothers me much more than the lower resolution text when reading for hours.
questioner76 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:43 AM   #21
klover
macrumors 6502a

There is simply no way that someone can honestly suggest the mini screen is better than an iPad 3/4.

Contrast, color gamut, resolution are entirely below that of the Retina panels.
klover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:52 AM   #22
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner76 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself! If you can afford both, I highly recommend it. The mini is just so usable. Even though the screen isn't retina, it's really only distracting when you're comparing against an iPad 3 or 4.
I have a hard enough time justifying an ipad along with an iphone 5. I'm not sure when I'd have the time to squeeze a subpar ipad Mini into the mix.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:53 AM   #23
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Glad you're enjoying it!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:53 AM   #24
mfr1340
macrumors regular

ipad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Oh, I highly disagree. I own both, not just look at them in a store. I like the mini for it's form factor, but owning an iPad3 and a rMBP that screen on the mini is definitely a step backwards.

An LTE Mini w/retina? All the tablet I would ever need.
One with ret screen and stand alone GPS like the Nexus7
mfr1340 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:49 AM   #25
aka777
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
I have a hard enough time justifying an ipad along with an iphone 5. I'm not sure when I'd have the time to squeeze a subpar ipad Mini into the mix.
I found that after I purchased my first tablet a few years ago, I seldom use my iPhone beyond making and receiving calls.

Granted, a data only iNano (e.g samsung note) that is 5.5" and fits in my pocket, would be awesome.
aka777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad