Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

The lightning connector is brilliant. And earphones too

I never complained about the change from. 30 pin to lightning, but now I say it was a super idea.

So much better than a micro or mini USB. in the dark, having a reversible and simple connector is excellent!!!

It's solid metal parts; so much better than thin USB.

The new earphones: feel good! Can wear them all day!

I didn't like the move of the ear jack; but I was wrong. It's working out okay too.

But really the lightning is the best!
viewfly is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Minhimalism
macrumors 6502a

I love the new EarPods. I have some Monster Turbines which are far better.. but one of my ear canals is smaller than the other so I can never seal my left one. I feel like the EarPods are a nice compromise Also, the jack on the bottom makes way more sense when you put it in your pocket or hold it up to use it! Cable can't hang in front of your screen >
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3
Rhythmic-
macrumors member

I love the headphones. The overall clarity of the sound is amazing; and that bass thumping = win. It's as good (if not better) as those high quality, 70+ dollar (in-ear) headphones that Sony and Dre sells.
Rhythmic- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Mak47
macrumors 6502a

Agreed on all counts. While I understand there will be some growing pains with the change in connectors, I always thought it was pretty stupid that it wasn't reversible.

The Earpods are surprisingly good as well. I'm very, very picky about acoustics and usually hate earbuds. These sound about as good as you can expect an earbud to sound. Products like Beats will deliver more bass, but lack the high end response and clarity these deliver. A touch more low end would be nice, but I wouldn't give up the clarity to get it.

The headphone jack on the bottom is really of no functional consequence, but is more aesthetically pleasing. The view of your device (particularly if mounted somewhere) is unobstructed.
Mak47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:25 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I always liked the lightning connector too.
Just not the price tag
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #6
travis.hansen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfly View Post
I never complained about the change from. 30 pin to lightning, but now I say it was a super idea.

So much better than a micro or mini USB. in the dark, having a reversible and simple connector is excellent!!!

It's solid metal parts; so much better than thin USB.

The new earphones: feel good! Can wear them all day!

I didn't like the move of the ear jack; but I was wrong. It's working out okay too.

But really the lightning is the best!
They should have made both ends lightning connects so I don't accidentally try and plug the USB end into my iPhone in the dark
travis.hansen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:31 PM   #7
kannesss
Banned

I agree as well. Both nice developments.
kannesss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

I love the lightning connector, it just feels nice and high quality.

At first I thought I wouldn't like the headphone jack being on the bottom but it's SO much better that way. When I'm playing music in the car, it's easier to handle and same for when I'm using headphones.
Jamesesesesess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:37 PM   #9
darcyjames
macrumors member

Love the lightning connector and, as we now see with the iP5 and iPod touch, it was an absolute necessity considering the thinness of those devices

Definitely love the solid feel of the connection and no wrong way to insert! I read somewhere that it is also waterproof...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:18 AM   #10
tensiondeadache
macrumors regular

Fandroids criticize the "proprietary" lightning port when they should be taking notes. Micro USB sucks. I had Blackberry and a Mophie juice pack rendered unusable by the micro USB port. Though I eventually fixed the Blackberry, the Mophie was totally bricked. The lightning ports on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini have a feeling of quality and sturdiness that micro USB lacks.
tensiondeadache is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:35 AM   #11
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Agree. Apple's forte is to take something and make it better.

The EU should take notes instead of forcing the micro USB.
viewfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:47 AM   #12
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Lightning adapter is definitely nice. Headphone jack on the bottom is fine, but it is very annoying in my car. I have this wonderful tray to place my phone with the AUX cable sticking out, but now my phone has to be upside-down . It is very nice in the pocket though...
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:32 AM   #13
Jimmy James
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromonkey83 View Post
Lightning adapter is definitely nice. Headphone jack on the bottom is fine, but it is very annoying in my car. I have this wonderful tray to place my phone with the AUX cable sticking out, but now my phone has to be upside-down . It is very nice in the pocket though...
That's funny. My phone has to sit upside down in my car tray with the jack at the top. I love the bottom jack.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:52 PM   #14
viewfly
macrumors 6502a

Car holders are the best.
viewfly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:09 PM   #15
darster
macrumors 68000

I agree 100% with OP.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:12 PM   #16
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmic- View Post
I love the headphones. The overall clarity of the sound is amazing; and that bass thumping = win. It's as good (if not better) as those high quality, 70+ dollar (in-ear) headphones that Sony and Dre sells.
"bass thumping" - you're kidding right? You need to listen to some real earbuds. Overall I like the new shape but my biggest problem is that the sound leaks - people can still hear my music from the outside - that's an indicator of a cheap headset. There's no real sound isolation. Also, white earbuds are sooo not cool anymore. I'm going to order a pair of Shure headphones with remote soon.
GREEN4U is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:14 PM   #17
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN4U View Post
"bass thumping" - you're kidding right? You need to listen to some real earbuds. Overall I like the new shape but my biggest problem is that the sound leaks - people can still hear my music from the outside - that's an indicator of a cheap headset. There's no real sound isolation. Also, white earbuds are sooo not cool anymore. I'm going to order a pair of Shure headphones with remote soon.
That's nice. You go ahead and spend $100.
darster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:17 PM   #18
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

I love the new ear phones. However my ears aren't normal. My right side is a little smaller, so the ear phones don't fit properly and I can't wear them for too long.
Other than that I think they're great.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:18 PM   #19
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
That's nice. You go ahead and spend $100.
Heh I spend over 300 for my bose headphones.
Dragoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:25 PM   #20
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceterminal View Post
I love the new ear phones. However my ears aren't normal. My right side is a little smaller, so the ear phones don't fit properly and I can't wear them for too long.
Other than that I think they're great.
Apple's earphones are pretty cheap in my opinion because you can't size adjust them. Virtually any quality earphones have different size fittings and Apple has none. You ain't going to hear anything if it doesn't fit. That's the problem with Apple, they think everybody is one size.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:35 PM   #21
ninermac
macrumors member

I think the earphones are excellent for running... seem to fit my ears perfectly. It's a great compromise as compared to the noise isolation type. I find the noise isolation type make noise in my ears with the bouncing as I run, not to mention it's safer to run with earphones that allow outside noise in. Always better to hear the car coming...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:57 PM   #22
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

The other really nice thing is it can fully charge your phone in like 30 mins, I also don't understand why people are crying over it so much apples trying to be innovative
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:13 PM   #23
boomhower
macrumors 65816

I love the Lightning connector as well. Small but a very very solid connection that is reversible. Pretty much all micro USB connections I've used have been flimsy, nothing like the solid lock feeling you get with lightning. Of course there are going to be growing pains and folks are going to have to replace expensive accessories. But, you can't expect Apple to use that giant 30 pin connector forever and no one can realistically expect Apple is going to adopt a common adaptor. Sometimes with progress there are pains to the gain, this is one of those pains but the long term gain is well worth it.

I haven't even taken the earphones out of the wrapper. Only time I use earphones is when I'm running and I have special earphones for that.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:39 PM   #24
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
people can still hear my music from the outside - that's an indicator of a cheap headset. There's no real sound isolation.
That's also an indicator that you may be damaging your hearing. Really, be careful. The EarPods aren't isolation by design. Apple sells their in-ear headphones for that.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Rhythmic-
macrumors member

Quote:
...I have a GR07. Is that one "real" enough?
Rhythmic- is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone