Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechZone

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Hi everyone, Khan here. Now you can watch videos ( With Sound ) in your ipod. I installed Linux & now I can play videos. I have created a video so that you can see how the video looks like in ipod. I used my Craapy Webcam To capture the video. ( sorry for the video quality )

File Size = 23mb
Codec = Xvid

Download Link = http://files.mirrorme.org/f62a112356d3

Thanks. :)

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
TechZone said:
Hi everyone, Khan here. Now you can watch videos ( With Sound ) in your ipod. I installed Linux & now I can play videos. I have created a video so that you can see how the video looks like in ipod. I used my Craapy Webcam To capture the video. ( sorry for the video quality )

File Size = 23mb
Codec = Xvid

Download Link = http://files.mirrorme.org/f62a112356d3

Thanks. :)

thats great, can you post exactly how to do that. as in installing linux. Where to get the files and where to put them, and what files to get. thanks

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
wow that's really cool. I was just curious though why your computer had the video playing at the same time as the ipod?

TechZone

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Thanks everyone. I used my webcam to capture the video. Webcam software shows whatever I am doing. so when I captured my video at same time it was showing in the webcam software. :)

TechZone

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
I will post the tutorial very soon. I will create a video tutorial for it. Its little bit hard to follow the steps. Thanks.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
That is great.

I just have one question. Can you get that to play on a TV using the vid out on the iPod Photo? That would be truly useful.

adamNet

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2005
thats amazing. ive never seen this ever. why wouldnnt apple tell people this. wouldnt they sell more? anyway does this meen maybe the nano can?

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
wow, that's amazing!!

I noticed in the vid that you're running XP... will I be able to install Linux on my iPod if I'm running OS X? I'm not sure of how anything works, haha. :)

that is ... just.. awesome!! :)

I'll look forward to the tutorial!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Damn it... how am I going to justify a 60GB iPod photo to my wife after the 4G 40GB, the Shuffle, and the nano?

Such problems.... ;)

Very cool demo.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
It plays pretty smooth too. I wonder how much battery life you will get playing such movie. That was cool. I finally would be able to watch "Family Guy" on my subway ride to school. :D

bleek

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2005
i just get audio.. and how do i download codec or whatever and when will tutorial be ready?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
bleek said:
i just get audio.. and how do i download codec or whatever and when will tutorial be ready?
Get VLC, save the file to your desktop, then use VLC to play it - I'm sure you can also load the codec into QuickTime, but I'm not sure of the details.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
jsw said:
Get VLC, save the file to your desktop, then use VLC to play it - I'm sure you can also load the codec into QuickTime, but I'm not sure of the details.

If you go to the xvid site, theres instructions on how to get it to work with quicktime. Just download the file and put it into /library/quicktime.

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Video Pod is here!!!
Hey man you are a god, you made all that "where is the video Ipod?" threads reality.

Keep doing that!

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
adamNet said:
thats amazing. ive never seen this ever. why wouldnnt apple tell people this. wouldnt they sell more? anyway does this meen maybe the nano can?

because apple is not going to recommend or even mention that you can install Linux on an iPod and do this. and doing this probably would void your warranty if apple knew the down low

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.