Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Bit of a pointless thread but Im growing more impatient by the minute waiting for these new iMacs!

So what excites you the most about getting a new mac? Is it faster processing power, the looks itself, or upgrading an old box?

For me it's actually having a computer after relying solely on my iPad for the past 6 months. Finally being able to compose music and edit films on a screen much bigger then my MacBook pro, plus who could deny that it's not exciting to open up new apple products! What about you?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
For me, it's the faster machine, which I desperately need, closely followed by the bigger screen, which I also desperately need. I'm done resizing panels in After Effects and Cinema 4D to make room for what I need to do on my tiny 15 inch 2008 MacBook Pro.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
:)

whaw...
if I will write the things I am planning to do wit the imac.,.. it will take people here a year to read it :)
I am waiting a year, with no computer at home ( I have one at work, and I use ipad most of the time)
but for heavy home stuff...

here is glimpse:

1) edit, arrange, and print on large scale- photos, from the new Nikon.
2) start to program app to the iPhone ( I have so many ideas, but no mac to do so()
3) music, edit, compose, hear.
4) movies, that wait to be edited.
and more more more...

btw apple, WHERE IS THE IMAC!!! :)

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
I'm going to be replacing and oldish PC that I've had enough of. It has so many problems that for this last month of waiting (for the 27") I've ditched the PC all together and use my PowerBook G4 and iPad to get everything done. I also love the design of the iMac and can't wait to upgrade to a bigger screen :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
First Mac for me so looking forward to
No more slow boot.
Endless pointless software updates
No more anti virus software doing endless updates
No more strange noises coming from this huge black box that sounds like a helicopter taking off
Not having hundreds of files pre installed I never use.
No more blue screen of death
As you can probably tell I've had enough of windows!

veryevilash

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I've been a PC guy all my life and I'm most interested in learning a new OS. I've never had a powerful machine before because of budget but this time I'm going for the latest greatest. I just wish I knew when the 27" is coming out so I have a date to look forward to.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Bigger screen, and the new design will look lovely in the room.

People keep saying this. But from the from it will look like the last gen. Maybe people will put this new iMac behind a mirror so they can admire the thin edges and big bulge in the middle instead of actually doing some extensive work on the machine.

Facebook,Twitter etc i guess is hard CPU usage for most that will purchase this machine. Lol. Even CPU is not used for that.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I think the biggest thing I am excited about is the new screen. Reviews online said it appears as if the text is laying right on the surface of the panel. That sounds wonderful to me. I use my machine at home for about 75% non work use and 25% work use (my own side projects for extra cash, I am a web developer/SEO). Having a nice screen to look at while working and using Pixelmator (so far a great PS alternative!) is going to be a huge plus.

I am really looking forward to a 21.5" with the GT 650m, fusion drive, and 16GB of ram. Going to be ordering the second it is available for order. I have my fingers crossed for this upcoming tuesday, but I am not going to be disappointed it its not available since I've waited so long already - would be nice to have it for the Thanksgiving weekend though.

Also, having been using this 2006 MacBook Pro 15" for a while I cannot wait for a larger screen. It gets tough to work on here.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
After getting used to the SSD in my MBA i hate using my 2008 imac with its beachball inducing HDD lol. I use my iMac to hold my media library (over 2 tb) so im glad the new iMacs have a 3tb fusion drive option.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
I think the biggest thing I am excited about is the new screen. Reviews online said it appears as if the text is laying right on the surface of the panel. That sounds wonderful to me. I use my machine at home for about 75% non work use and 25% work use (my own side projects for extra cash, I am a web developer/SEO). Having a nice screen to look at while working and using Pixelmator (so far a great PS alternative!) is going to be a huge plus.

I am really looking forward to a 21.5" with the GT 650m, fusion drive, and 16GB of ram. Going to be ordering the second it is available for order. I have my fingers crossed for this upcoming tuesday, but I am not going to be disappointed it its not available since I've waited so long already - would be nice to have it for the Thanksgiving weekend though.

Also, having been using this 2006 MacBook Pro 15" for a while I cannot wait for a larger screen. It gets tough to work on here.

Ww you sound as if I wrote that message. I used to develop websites (as a hobbie) but I'm more into music production and photography now. But I'm going for the exact same spec iMac as you, and I have been using a 2006 pro since I bought it, till it broke earlier this year :(

Oh well roll on the new iMac :D

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
Main thing I am wanting the to upgrade my 2009 iMac 27" to a 2112 iMac is to be able to play X-Plane 10 at decent FPSs/Resolutions. Hoping to then buy the new Boeing 777 Worldliner add on, which is the most advanced and complex simulation of an aircraft for X-Plane to date.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX (2GB of GDDR5) will be a major upgrade to my existing ATI Radeon HD 4670 (256mb of VRAM) along with the 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 over my current 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and they should provide decent power to run X-Plane at a lot higher settings than I can do at the moment.

Thinking of going for the 3TB Fusion Drive as I have a lot of photographic and video data. My present computer is still quite good at video work but the new one will be amazingly fast compared to what I have now.

Hoping to get a BTO delivered for Xmas holidays but to be able to just order it would be a step forward. At least I know what is on offer and have saved enough to hopefully cover the options I am after.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
People keep saying this. But from the from it will look like the last gen. Maybe people will put this new iMac behind a mirror so they can admire the thin edges and big bulge in the middle instead of actually doing some extensive work on the machine.

Facebook,Twitter etc i guess is hard CPU usage for most that will purchase this machine. Lol. Even CPU is not used for that.

I read that some idiot on here was going to use an maxed out iMac for Twitter and alike as they compared it to getting a Ferrari. I have never read something so ridiclous. As for looking at the iMac in a mirror, depending on the position within the room or office the thin edge will give a surreal experience of working on a price of glass. Unless your working in a box room the computer will make a real impact aesthically speaking.

As for me I can't wait to replace my windows box although running an i7 ivy bridge, 256 ssd, 16 gig ram la da da it has been a bit of a disappointment for me.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
This will be my first Mac. I'm planning on getting one round about February, March of next year.

I'll be coming to Mac from Windows (after 10 years). I'm just fed up with the random problems I have with Windows, the noise that comes from the PC. The first time I saw an iMac, I was astonished at the quietness of the thing.

Also having to run anti virus and anti spyware programs will be a thing of the past.

Also, in our house we have iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and all of these will integrate nicely with the iMac.

I'm also looking forward to be able to use the Mac App Store, after the experience I've had with the App Store on the iPhone and iPad.

I'm looking forward to be able to replace my 2008 PC, with a much more powerful, faster, and faster booting machine than what I have now.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
People keep saying this. But from the front it will look like the last gen. Maybe people will put this new iMac behind a mirror so they can admire the thin edges and big bulge in the middle instead of actually doing some extensive work on the machine.

Thank you. This new iMac, with no upgradeability whatsoever, is all about looks and not about making a machine you can grow with.

It's the computer version of a one night stand: once you 'get off' on the looks and that gets old, you find out there's not much there to fall in love with over the long haul.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Thank you. This new iMac, with no upgradeability whatsoever, is all about looks and not about making a machine you can grow with.

It's the computer version of a one night stand: once you 'get off' on the looks and that gets old, you find out there's not much there to fall in love with over the long haul.

It would be possible to design an iMac with replaceable drives and other parts, but that's not what Apple sells it as. It's an AIO for people who don't want to change anything other than adding memory. That's nothing new.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'm very excited because this will be my first iMac since the 2nd generation "strawberry" model. I was all set for the 27" but I went to Best Buy today to look at the old models and I think the 21.5" will suit me for what I need to do.

My current set up is a late 2009 Mac Mini with an HP 22" monitor. I can only display 1680 x 1050 on my monitor and need more real estate. The iMac can go to 1920 x 1080 which will allow me to see two windows side by side.

I do some light gaming, D3 being the most graphics intensive of the lot. The 650m in the higher end 21.5" model should suffice for that. My other games are hidden object or match 3 games that play okay on my old mini, but I still get cursor lag.

I share my office with my nephew and his Gateway monitor blew out, so he'll be getting my old HP as soon as my new iMac comes in. I hope I won't be waiting too much longer!

seble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010

I have to agree and disagree with you on that one. You see I realised something yesterday. My friend was telling me about his new Asus laptop he bought yesteday. Except he couldn't tell me what specs it had or anything. Would he really care about upgrading his RAM or HDD? Don't think so. A lot of people like us, that come on these forums, are generally the people that know about computers. We are a minute number of people that would actually/upgrade/open/customise our computers. So to Apple and most people it really doesn't matter. you buy a computer with that spec in mind and it stays that way forever! :D

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I have to agree and disagree with you on that one. You see I realised something yesterday. My friend was telling me about his new Asus laptop he bought yesteday. Except he couldn't tell me what specs it had or anything. Would he really care about upgrading his RAM or HDD? Don't think so. A lot of people like us, that come on these forums, are generally the people that know about computers. We are a minute number of people that would actually/upgrade/open/customise our computers. So to Apple and most people it really doesn't matter. you buy a computer with that spec in mind and it stays that way forever! :D

You wrote the keyword yourself .. yes .. laptop. Most people with average use would get a laptop, or hell .. an iPad for their daily computing and be happy with it as long as it does Twitter, Facebook and chats.

Anyone cares enough about spec, and willing to have their hands dirty on computer guts would get a desktop. It doesn't sell as much today, but I still think, those people still care about changing/upgrading their own HDD, SSD, RAM, or even CPU/GPU.

niuniu

macrumors 68020

Your problem is a lack of imagination.

My setup is in a home studio and the back of the iMac would be visible to anyone sitting in the living area. The back would be seen by more people, more often, than the front by me.

The print studio beside us has rows of iMacs, their rears all visible to the clients as they walk in. Looks impressive, and I'm sure the new design will be even more so.

tl;dr
Not everyone lives in their mom's basement with their iMac back to a wall.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
The last Window Desktop is in the family room. It's Windows 7 and I'm tired of fighting with it. Blue screens antivirus terror Tuesday updates. Get enough support issues with the wife's windows laptop (work).
Would like something larger then the current Dell 24" monitor. And just don't want to start a new fight with windows 8.

Must of the apps I've purchased in the last couple of years have been Mac related so just bite the bullet for a 27" imac this December

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
This Imac will make my household go full circle.

Iphone 5, Apple TV, Ipad already here and i can not wait for the Imac.

I want to build and host my own webpage and maybe do some half decent photography, but defo a webpage.

Does anyone have any recommendation which program to use to build a webpage. This will be my first time ever building a page as well as Imac.

I have tried to use my windows machine yesterday. I was slower than slow... Was doing my head in... Smashed the mouse and kicked against the tower, which didnt help ;) but i so can not be bothered anymore with my windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.