Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #1
rrk100
macrumors newbie

Handbrake: iPad vs AppleTV vs AppleTV 2 vs AppleTV 3 presettings

I have an AppleTV, an iPad 2, and the new iPad ("4") with Retina Display.

Using Handbrake, I have been creating 4 different versions of the DVD movie I am ripping via the presets:

iPad
AppleTV
AppleTV 2
AppleTV 3

Is there any advantage to having all 4 versions of a movie? Or do you think I should stop creating every AppleTV version? Since I have the original AppleTV, will I run into any backwards compatibility issues if I discontinue ripping from one of the AppleTV presets mentioned above?

I figure that the iPad version at least saves me some space on my iPads...

Thank you in advance.
rrk100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:08 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk100 View Post
I have an AppleTV, an iPad 2, and the new iPad ("4") with Retina Display.

Using Handbrake, I have been creating 4 different versions of the DVD movie I am ripping via the presets:

iPad
AppleTV
AppleTV 2
AppleTV 3

Is there any advantage to having all 4 versions of a movie? Or do you think I should stop creating every AppleTV version? Since I have the original AppleTV, will I run into any backwards compatibility issues if I discontinue ripping from one of the AppleTV presets mentioned above?

I figure that the iPad version at least saves me some space on my iPads...

Thank you in advance.
The only aTV preset you need to use is AppleTV 3. And that can even be used for the iPad. Like you said, it just means few movies able to be physically loaded onto the iPad.

Now that I think about it, I am not sure about the original aTV compatibility. Anyone else know?

Last edited by mic j; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: afterthought
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:12 PM   #3
The Mad Hatter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
Now that I think about it, I am not sure about the original aTV compatibility. Anyone else know?
When I was running an ATV1, I had to use the ATV preset for compatibility across all my iDevices (as the the ATV2 preset would render the files unplayable). I can't see the ATV3 preset changing that.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:15 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not, but yesterday and today I've been ripping some of my DVD's with the ATV3 settings and they play just fine on the iMac, ATV3 and ATV2.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:04 AM   #5
WebHead
macrumors member

I encode all HD content with the ATV3 preset (most 720p iDevices will downscale) and all SD with Universal. Some would argue for doing SD with ATV2, but I value device compatibility over the barely perceivable quality difference.
WebHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater