Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I have an iPhone 4S 64GB and purchased applecare+ with it. Suppose in the future once the next iphone (5S/7) has launched and I go to apple with my 4S to get it replaced under the 2 accidental replacement clauses. Apple couldn't possibly still have 64GB unit stocks for the 4S. So will they just give me the new iPhone?

With MBP replacements, apple gives you the latest hardware so I was wondering how it would work for the phones.

Has anybody received a newer iphone from apple than they had initially bought?

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Chances are they'll still have stock. All the turn ins are refurbed and used for replacements.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I have an iPhone 4S 64GB and purchased applecare+ with it. Suppose in the future once the next iphone (5S/7) has launched and I go to apple with my 4S to get it replaced under the 2 accidental replacement clauses. Apple couldn't possibly still have 64GB unit stocks for the 4S. So will they just give me the new iPhone?

With MBP replacements, apple gives you the latest hardware so I was wondering how it would work for the phones.

It's not like they'll just throw out refurbs, they keep them in stock for people who try to cheat the system like you lol. They'll hand you a 4S and activate it and put you on your way.

jmanley1

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
They keep replacement stock for all models, simple answer.

Unfortunately I have already had to invoke my AppleCare+ on my iPhone 5. My iP5 went through the wash on Wednesday night and I had to go over to a local Apple Store to get a new one, first thing Thursday. $49.99 and it couldn't have been more seamless.

The replacement came in a non-descript sealed box and it was indeed new stock, since the iP5 is so new. I'm glad I purchased AppleCare+.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
OP, I've wondered about this, too. I always buy the largest GB of iPhones/iPads and know that when newer models are released, new versions of the older models are seriously reduced in available GB size. :(

Fortunately for me, my Apple Care+ purchases haven't needed to be used yet.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

It's not gonna happen.
Company policy.
Keep dreaming:)

jmanley1

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry to hear that. Did the anodization wash off? ;)

Funny you ask.. no. Looked clean as a whistle. Not a mark on it.

God what a sickening feeling to open the washing machine at 4 AM thinking, "I hope my phone is not... OH MY GOD"

Oh well, all is well that ends well.

Sermon

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2009
Funny you ask.. no. Looked clean as a whistle. Not a mark on it.

God what a sickening feeling to open the washing machine at 4 AM thinking, "I hope my phone is not... OH MY GOD"

Oh well, all is well that ends well.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. I sold him my pristine iPhone 4 and two weeks later he throws his jeans in the washing machine with the iPhone still in the front pocket. He realised an instant later, but of course it was already too late. Ah well ...

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas

They did it earlier this year for people with the 16gb white iPhone 4 model. Stocks were running low so Apple HQ sent out memos to the stores to replace the phones with a 4S instead. Hasn't happened since though, and they'll most likely just order another 4S for you if they don't have any, like they did for my 32gb white iPhone 4.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
This time last year I went into an apple store about my iPod touch 2G, when he agreed to swap it out, little did I know he was going to swap it out for a like for like model, I mean this thing had been obsolete for a couple of years!

When I synced it up, it was even on iOS 2.whatever. Doubly shocked. Looks like apple does keep stock of all models!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
They did it earlier this year for people with the 16gb white iPhone 4 model. Stocks were running low so Apple HQ sent out memos to the stores to replace the phones with a 4S instead. Hasn't happened since though, and they'll most likely just order another 4S for you if they don't have any, like they did for my 32gb white iPhone 4.

Yeah it only happened for like a week, word started getting out so Apple shut that **** down quick.

GP20

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
My 3GS was replaced with an iPhone 4 about a month ago because the local stores didn't have any more 3GS' in stock.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
With MBP replacements, apple gives you the latest hardware

Actually, they don't except under certain circumstances. They will always try to repair the MBP first. If they don't have parts (rare), or after three botched attempts at repair, they MIGHT consider a replacement with new. Even then, you tend to have to complain really loudly.

macguy80

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
will applecare exchange a damaged black iphone 5 for a white one? Or they only do the exact same model?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.