Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
I have a problem Hulu has become so slow that it just times out when trying to watch any video.

My internet is around 50down/20up and tests fine. Hulu works great on my computer as well. It's just on the apple tv.

I currently have everything running to a gigabit switch, which plugs into a new Airport Extreme base stattion, which is set to run in bridged mode since my internet modem/router uses a NAT and needs to log in via pppoe.

How can I go about fixing, or at least figuring out, why Hulu just refuses to work? This is on 2 different Apple TV's in two different rooms, also.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
As often suggested, run a ethernet between ATV and switch, don't use WIFI.

Failing that, OK. I'd check the MTU. Normally this is 1500 bytes but there is a known problem with PPOE systems where you have to manually set MTU to something lower like 1420. I do not know if the ATV lets you manually set this item.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
As often suggested, run a ethernet between ATV and switch, don't use WIFI.

Failing that, OK. I'd check the MTU. Normally this is 1500 bytes but there is a known problem with PPOE systems where you have to manually set MTU to something lower like 1420. I do not know if the ATV lets you manually set this item.

Yes, it is all wired Ethernet to the switch. There is no wifi in the chain.

As far as setting MTU, where would I do this?

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Try putting your Apple TV on Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet. I know it's counter-intuitive, but there is apparently a bug in the latest Apple TV software version that makes it work poorly over Ethernet. I have experienced similar problems, and switching to Wi-Fi has helped noticeably. I plan to switch back to Ethernet if/when Apple fixes this bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.