Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:10 PM   #1
UBS28
macrumors 6502a

iPad mini, horrible screen but great weight and size.

I tested the iPad mini for the first time today, the screen is horrible in comparison to the iPad 3/4.

If the iPad mini 2 has a retina display, it's the end for the regular iPad line. 7" is the perfect size ( and weight ) as the screen is large enough to read without zooming in ( despite not having a retina display ). And it's really great that you can hold it in 1 hand easily at very low weight.

In the future, I'll probably retire my iPad 3 for a iPad mini 2/3 ( if it has a Retina display ).
UBS28 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBS28 View Post
If the iPad mini 2 has a retina display, it's the end for the regular iPad line.
7" tablets will always serve a purpose. But the fascination with small tablets is a fad like it was with mobile phones. As 10" tablets slim down they will dominate. 5" mobile phones, 10" tablets are the future.
Awakener is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:21 PM   #3
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
7" tablets will always serve a purpose. But the fascination with small tablets is a fad like it was with mobile phones. As 10" tablets slim down they will dominate. 5" mobile phones, 10" tablets are the future.
I'm just not now, nor ever was, a fan of the large bezel on any of the iPads. I love the Mini for this reason.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
I'm just not now, nor ever was, a fan of the large bezel on any of the iPads. I love the Mini for this reason.
The large bezels are going to disappear (as they have on the mini due to new technology).
Awakener is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:28 PM   #5
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a

Side by side screen comparisons with the full sized retina models are stupid. When I go from my MacBook Air to the mini, I don't feel like the screen is horrible, at all.
MisterDisney is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Macist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDisney View Post
Side by side screen comparisons with the full sized retina models are stupid. When I go from my MacBook Air to the mini, I don't feel like the screen is horrible, at all.
I tend to sit back from my non-retina MBP. People hold their tablets a little closer to their eyes. The Mini's screen is therefore a little jarring if you've seen retina screen on your iPhone or iPad 3.
Macist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:00 PM   #7
ZBoater
macrumors 604

The biggest problem that I have it people throwing around words like "horrible", "unreadable", "garbage", and crap like that. The exaggerations and hyberbole is tiring. The new fad apparently is getting headaches from the mini screen. Sigh.

I wish people would measure their comments a bit. Either that or consolidate all the "Mini screen is horrible" posts into one thread. That way one can ignore it and focus on more balanced reviews and descriptions. But I guess that wouldn't be as much fun....
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:23 PM   #8
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

Quote:
I tested the iPad mini for the first time today, the screen is horrible in comparison to the iPad 3/4.

If the iPad mini 2 has a retina display, it's the end for the regular iPad line. 7" is the perfect size ( and weight ) as the screen is large enough to read without zooming in ( despite not having a retina display ). And it's really great that you can hold it in 1 hand easily at very low weight.

In the future, I'll probably retire my iPad 3 for a iPad mini 2/3 ( if it has a Retina display ).
It's not 7".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
The large bezels are going to disappear (as they have on the mini due to new technology).
The small bezel makes it hard to hold without covering the screen. My guess is they gave the mini a thin bezel to reduce the size of the device to something closer to the 7" competitors and that this was more important than usability.
bobbysmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I find it funny prior to the new retina iPads they were great tablets, now their so horrible. Why were they not horrible back then?!?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:08 PM   #10
IbisDoc
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
The biggest problem that I have it people throwing around words like "horrible", "unreadable", "garbage", and crap like that. The exaggerations and hyberbole is tiring. The new fad apparently is getting headaches from the mini screen. Sigh.

I wish people would measure their comments a bit. Either that or consolidate all the "Mini screen is horrible" posts into one thread. That way one can ignore it and focus on more balanced reviews and descriptions. But I guess that wouldn't be as much fun....
If people believe that they are getting headaches from the screen, who are you to tell them that they aren't?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Could the mods maybe think about creating one thread where everyone can comment on the mini screen? I mean how many threads do we have now from people who hate the screen?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:14 PM   #12
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbisDoc View Post
If people believe that they are getting headaches from the screen, who are you to tell them that they aren't?
I'm not saying they aren't. I said its the latest fad. If its not the yellow screens its the warm batteries or the whatever. Something unique to Macrumors because I have yet to see it anywhere else.

All these whiny posts about the Mini's screen are giving ME a headache...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:21 PM   #13
lianlua
macrumors 6502

Quote:
They're getting headaches either because they're reading text that's too small or because they're nuts/lying.

There is nothing special or different about the iPad mini that isn't true of all other LCDs.

This is just as absurd as people who claimed that the retina displays caused headaches because non-retina images were too blurry. Pull your nose off the glass, use appropriate lighting, and use a comfortable text size for reading long passages. People are ridiculous.
lianlua is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:24 PM   #14
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
If he thinks people are exaggerating, who are you to tell him that he can't have that opinion?

See it works both ways.....
MacRumorUser is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:35 PM   #15
bigboar
macrumors 6502

I am one who said I got headaches while using my mini. I also specifically said It was probably because i was straining my eyes because i wasn't going to be zooming in to read text all the time though... Which in my opinion stinks.. I can use my iPhone 5 for long periods without getting a headache so there is something different. I love the minis size and weight but that wasn't enough for me to keep it. When the mini gets retina I will buy it but until that happens I will enjoy using the 4 I bought after returning it...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lianlua View Post
They're getting headaches either because they're reading text that's too small or because they're nuts/lying.

There is nothing special or different about the iPad mini that isn't true of all other LCDs.
Many users are experiencing problems with mini screen but not other small or low resolution screens. There are many issues like color, contrast, resolution, glare, and formatting.
Awakener is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:46 PM   #17
ninermac
macrumors member

I think there will continue to be 10 and 7 inch tablets in the market as content creation is tough to do on the smaller ipad. 7s are where the market growth is going to be though...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:56 PM   #18
tsd71
macrumors newbie

Quote:

The screen is not horrible, in my opinion it is a very good screen.
tsd71 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:42 PM   #19
Mazda 3s
macrumors 6502

Just went to look at one today at Best Buy just to see what all the hoopla was about. Screen looked fine to me. It didn't look as crisp as the Retina display for sure, but it was perfectly acceptable in my eyes... especially from my viewing typical viewing distance.

If I spent my time with the device 6" in front of my face, I'd be terribly disappointed, but I don't.

I think I'm going to be cashing in my credit card rewards for a 32GB white.
Mazda 3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:55 PM   #20
macrat
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm not saying they aren't. I said its the latest fad. If its not the yellow screens its the warm batteries or the whatever. Something unique to Macrumors because I have yet to see it anywhere else.

All these whiny posts about the Mini's screen are giving ME a headache...
Don't forget that many (and that's an understatement) that are posting here are Android trolls. Some of there are pretty convincing.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:58 PM   #21
AlanKA
macrumors member

Quote:
THIS!

LOL, I was walking the streets of Denver today and emptied my wallet handing out cash to all the blind beggars that dared look at the iPad Mini screen.
AlanKA is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:16 PM   #22
richardmu
macrumors 6502

I'm still very happy with my iPad 2 and could never see the big deal with the retina display when it came out. Sure it looked a little better but not that much for me. Returned the 3 as I didn't like the extra bulk it appeared to gain over the 2.

The mini looks very good and I like the slim light feel of it. However, I got a bit tired of the usual Apple difficulty with ordering so bought a Kindle Fire HD instead. Great tablet. Apple lost a sale!
richardmu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:23 PM   #23
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
I tend to sit back from my non-retina MBP. People hold their tablets a little closer to their eyes. The Mini's screen is therefore a little jarring if you've seen retina screen on your iPhone or iPad 3.
I have an iPad 2 and an iPod Touch 5G (retina screen). Got curious about all the hysteria about the mini's screen and retina versus nonretina, so I opened this thread on both devises and scrolled to the same message on each.

Aside from slight differences in brightness, both were perfectly readable and did not cause me headaches or incontinence. I guess if I used a magnifying glass to examine the differences, I would have found some.

Glad I made the comparison as I was getting worried that the mini I ordered as a Christmas gift would cause permanent injury to the recipient.
Aspasia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:33 PM   #24
jpross123
macrumors member

I put the iPad mini next to my old iPad 2 and the screen looked even better than the iPad 2. The screen does not look horrible by any means, and it almost looks like a retina display due to the same resolution as a iPad 2, just shrunk.

Unless you are looking at your iPad from 2 inches away, you will not tell too much of a difference
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:45 PM   #25
kas23
macrumors 603

Quote:

You didn't need to write this. Your title of the thread pretty much says everything one needs to know about the mini.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad