Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:22 PM   #1
rbrian
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
XBox 360S power supply

It's gigantic, noisy, and fragile. Why is it so big? Why so noisy? Why so fragile? I have never had any other power brick fail, and the ones that come with new equipment are all much smaller - even the one for my giant 6KG Toughbook is half the size, and that's twice the size of the one that comes with my Air. Does the 360S really draw enough power to dim the lights in the neighbourhood?

It doesn't make sense. A laptop with equal or better specs has a smaller, cooler, more reliable power brick, and includes a screen too! There must be something about it though, all the third party replacements on Amazon have terrible reviews, even worse than the official one.
__________________
2011 11" Air i5 1.6/4/128; 2011 Mac mini; iPad mini retina 128GB; iPhone 5s 64GB; Apple TV3
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816
 
Orange Furball's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scranton, PA, USA
Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
It's gigantic, noisy, and fragile. Why is it so big? Why so noisy? Why so fragile? I have never had any other power brick fail, and the ones that come with new equipment are all much smaller - even the one for my giant 6KG Toughbook is half the size, and that's twice the size of the one that comes with my Air. Does the 360S really draw enough power to dim the lights in the neighbourhood?

It doesn't make sense. A laptop with equal or better specs has a smaller, cooler, more reliable power brick, and includes a screen too! There must be something about it though, all the third party replacements on Amazon have terrible reviews, even worse than the official one.
An Xbox uses custom parts. Not like a laptop that uses low power portable components. A laptop is designed to run on a battery for as long as possible. An Xbox isn't. The Xbox is very power hungry because it uses powerful components. The power brick is smaller than a normal ATX computer power supply
__________________
"I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really… I was alive" – Walter White ”
Orange Furball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
rbrian
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
135W is only 10W more than my horrible Toughbook, which is certainly not powerful. It makes do with a power supply half the size, which hasn't gone wrong, ever. That may be because the power supply has a transformer, and nothing else - no red light, no fan, nothing to go wrong.

Anyway, isn't the XBox basically a mid-spec PC? It's not custom like the PS3 is.

None of this explains why it's so fragile. I have never had a power brick fail. Never - except for this one, and it seems to be a common problem.
__________________
2011 11" Air i5 1.6/4/128; 2011 Mac mini; iPad mini retina 128GB; iPhone 5s 64GB; Apple TV3
rbrian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816
 
Orange Furball's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scranton, PA, USA
Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrian View Post
135W is only 10W more than my horrible Toughbook, which is certainly not powerful. It makes do with a power supply half the size, which hasn't gone wrong, ever. That may be because the power supply has a transformer, and nothing else - no red light, no fan, nothing to go wrong.

Anyway, isn't the XBox basically a mid-spec PC? It's not custom like the PS3 is.

None of this explains why it's so fragile. I have never had a power brick fail. Never - except for this one, and it seems to be a common problem.
Your toughbook is basically just charging a battery while running the computer. The maximum is 125W, but that doesn't mean it uses all of that. The Xbox may use all of that.

Why did it fail? Who knows. I have lost 2 power supplies in my lifetime so far, electronics fail. It happens all the time. Just remember that a PC and an Xbox are different, its like comparing a carrot to a cucumber. They both are in the same family, but they taste different, are made differently, and behave differently.
__________________
"I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really… I was alive" – Walter White ”
Orange Furball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Miharu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Finland
One thing I don't understand is why it has to have a fan inside. The console itself is already loud (yes even the Slim model) and then you have a loud power supply as well. I have never seen external power supplies that include a fan, like my older Mac mini, Wii etc. just have a silent brick.
Miharu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816
 
Orange Furball's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scranton, PA, USA
Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miharu View Post
One thing I don't understand is why it has to have a fan inside. The console itself is already loud (yes even the Slim model) and then you have a loud power supply as well. I have never seen external power supplies that include a fan, like my older Mac mini, Wii etc. just have a silent brick.
Your Mac mini uses low power laptop components too. Your Wii is not as powerful as your Xbox. It needs fans because it gets hot. I had a laptop that didn't have fans in the power brick and it scorched my rug!
__________________
"I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really… I was alive" – Walter White ”
Orange Furball is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G5 Power supply mark8 PowerPC Macs 8 May 17, 2014 12:20 PM
Can't power on early 2006 intel iMac, bad power supply or inverter? asterjj iMac 5 Feb 8, 2013 04:59 PM
Connecting Time Capsule to XBox 360s Mr. Bad Example Mac Peripherals 2 Oct 22, 2012 12:23 PM
MDD power supply G5 tower power supply? havokalien PowerPC Macs 7 Aug 12, 2012 01:46 AM
Power supply macjolt MacBook Pro 3 Aug 11, 2012 08:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC