Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
sno1man
macrumors regular

Interesting discovery for HDMI display grainy text issue

No it does nothing to address the black out issues which still happen to me 3-4 times a day

I have a dell s2240l display attached to my mini and have had the grainy text that others have complained about.

The dell only has HDMI and VGA inputs. I have tried straight HDMI to HDMI, mini display port to HDMI etc without improvement.

When it's connected to my mini, the mini always sees it as a TV and thus has the overscan slider active. As far as i can tell there is no way on this monitor to switch it to PC mode so that the mini sees it as a pc display and not a TV.

Regardless though, I just made a discovery that helps quite a bit. If you move the slider just one notch past off (the default) the text gets noticeably bolder and less grainy and to my eyes at least, better.

Two questions; One, anybody else noticed this and two, it almost makes me wonder if this is a bug in the OS.

I thought at first that overall sharpness might be taking a hit and that was what i was seeing, but looking at things with fine lines in them like excel spreadsheets, they still seem to be crisp.

Weird, regardless
sno1man is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini