Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Nice way to make Siri faster

You ask what you wanna ask and then click the siri button/microphone button INSTANTLY AFTER your done talking for it to comprehend and process what you said faster instead of waiting for the ping sound that Siri does to let you know its processing. It actually does work and makes Siri 2-3 SECONDS FASTER for me about 90% of the time..go ahead and try it

Last edited by Bahroo; Nov 11, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

This is good advice. Sometimes when I use Siri, after a few seconds it still doesn't register and it gets annoying since the whole point of Siri is to make things easier for you.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: cleanup
Jamesesesesess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

[QUOTE=Bahroo;16270331]Nice way to make Siri faster/QUOTE]

Everybody knows u can't rush a female.
Mrbobb is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

actually it doesnt just save a half of a second or one second, it actually speeds up Siri pretty noticebly on certain questions but for some questions it speeds it up a bit.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: cleanup
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Troneas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
actually it doesnt just save a half of a second or one second, it actually speeds up Siri pretty noticebly on certain questions but for some questions it speeds it up a bit.
i find it most useful in a noisy environment; which in my experience makes siri take longer to process what you've said.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: cleanup
Troneas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
anonjd
macrumors member

I actually found this out a few months after I had my 4S, and I, personally, found it useful. At time it would take 5+ seconds to process what I said/asked.

I know it's not a lot of time, but just nice to know it's there.

I appreciate the OP taking time to post this, as I'm sure at least one person will find this useful. I know I would have, before I found out about it.
anonjd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonjd View Post
I actually found this out a few months after I had my 4S, and I, personally, found it useful. At time it would take 5+ seconds to process what I said/asked.

I know it's not a lot of time, but just nice to know it's there.

I appreciate the OP taking time to post this, as I'm sure at least one person will find this useful. I know I would have, before I found out about it.
it defitnetly is useful to me, speeds up Siri by 2-3 seconds at least for me every time...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:26 PM   #8
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

May I assume that you are using Raise to speak? Otherwise, it makes no sense and doesn't work.
lelisa13p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:01 AM   #9
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
May I assume that you are using Raise to speak? Otherwise, it makes no sense and doesn't work.
No im not using raise to speak...how dont you get what I am saying? I hold the home button down and ask Siri something..once im doing sayin whatever i say to Siri I hit the microphone button instantly and it processes the words I say faster. In my case it improves Siri's speed by about 2 seconds
Bahroo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
i find it most useful in a noisy environment; which in my experience makes siri take longer to process what you've said.
Exactly.
If there's noise in the back Siri takes longer to realize you are done talking.
If there's no sound or noise she's fine without clicking anything.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:16 AM   #11
LapsangSouchong
macrumors 65816

Quote:

No im not using raise to speak...how dont you get what I am saying? I hold the home button down and ask Siri something..once im doing sayin whatever i say to Siri I hit the microphone button instantly and it processes the words I say faster. In my case it improves Siri's speed by about 2 seconds
I have to admit, I didn't get it from your OP either. (but trusted you)
NOW I read this and tried it and, yes, helpful!
Thanks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Exactly.
If there's noise in the back Siri takes longer to realize you are done talking.
If there's no sound or noise she's fine without clicking anything.
This makes it make perfect sense. I have the biggest problem when I'm running. (I assume my tired, ragged breathing is the background noise lol).
I'll try this tomorrow morning.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:27 AM. Reason: cleanup
LapsangSouchong is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

This reminds me of a funny incident with Siri.

I was in the lift, and had just issued it a command. Just as it was about to register, the lift door opened, and the resulting chiming noise delayed Siri from pinging.
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:06 AM   #13
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Don't get snippy with me. This second explanation makes more sense because it's more specific. You essentially give Siri a nudge by tapping the onscreen icon as soon as you've finished speaking, as if to prod her along faster. You see? I do get it. And now everyone else does, too.
lelisa13p is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Don't get snippy with me. This second explanation makes more sense because it's more specific. You essentially give Siri a nudge by tapping the onscreen icon as soon as you've finished speaking, as if to prod her along faster. You see? I do get it. And now everyone else does, too.
My bad, and yes exactly
Bahroo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:21 AM   #15
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
My bad, and yes exactly
Okay. And nice tip.
lelisa13p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:23 AM   #16
stridemat

MOD NOTE

Lets keep this thread on topic please.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:28 AM.
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:46 AM   #17
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You ask what you wanna ask and then click the siri button/microphone button INSTANTLY AFTER your done talking for it to comprehend and process what you said faster instead of waiting for the ping sound that Siri does to let you know its processing. It actually does work and makes Siri 2-3 SECONDS FASTER for me about 90% of the time..go ahead and try it
So you're saying if you hit the button that you hit to ask her a question a few seconds faster than it would usually be if you just let her "stop" the interaction it takes a few seconds less for Siri to do her thing.

Not sure I understand. Instead of the typical pause that is there after you ask your question you hit the button which causes her to "think" about it a few seconds faster and this make the entire siri interaction a few seconds faster...... So you cause it to be a few seconds shorter yet you're excited/surprised that it's a few seconds shorter.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to make sense if you shorten the time by pressing the button the time of your interaction would be shorter. Is there more to it than that?
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:03 AM   #18
Vundu
macrumors 6502a

When I first got my 4S I thought you have to do this after speaking Did not know you could just leave it to respond till after.
Vundu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:45 AM   #19
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
MOD NOTE

Lets keep this thread on topic please.
Completely agree, this is a very useful trick that I hope this thread helps many more people find out about it.
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:33 AM   #20
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
Completely agree, this is a very useful trick that I hope this thread helps many more people find out about it.
How it this a "trick"? You push the button to initiate Siri to "find' your question. I've been doing this from day one. I don't see why people WOULDN'T do this. If you push the button to have her listen just seems logical that you would push the button to "stop" asking siri what you want to know.

Again, maybe I'm missing something.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:51 AM   #21
LaynieGorilla
macrumors 6502

I thought the was something everyone knew l
LaynieGorilla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
So you're saying if you hit the button that you hit to ask her a question a few seconds faster than it would usually be if you just let her "stop" the interaction it takes a few seconds less for Siri to do her thing.

Not sure I understand. Instead of the typical pause that is there after you ask your question you hit the button which causes her to "think" about it a few seconds faster and this make the entire siri interaction a few seconds faster...... So you cause it to be a few seconds shorter yet you're excited/surprised that it's a few seconds shorter.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to make sense if you shorten the time by pressing the button the time of your interaction would be shorter. Is there more to it than that?
Okay do this.Hold home button and bring up Siri Ask Siri "how big is the moon?" Or whatever question/command you want to ask it. Right after your done speaking like literally a millsecond after your done speaking push the microphone button and it will process faster and give you your answer faster

----------

Quote:

Im not "super excited " or "suprised" ... All it does is make Siri 2-3 seconds faster in giving you your answer/command. Its not a breakthrough or a revelation, just a neat little trick I found.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:31 AM   #23
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I have an even better trick for making Siri faster - namely, putting all of the voice recognition internal to the phone so that the digitized snippet of dictation does need to be sent over the network.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:03 PM   #24
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Okay do this.Hold home button and bring up Siri Ask Siri "how big is the moon?" Or whatever question/command you want to ask it. Right after your done speaking like literally a millsecond after your done speaking push the microphone button and it will process faster and give you your answer faster

----------

Im not "super excited " or "suprised" ... All it does is make Siri 2-3 seconds faster in giving you your answer/command. Its not a breakthrough or a revelation, just a neat little trick I found.
OMG how is this a "trick"?? It's how Siri functions..... I guess I'm either a freaking genius because I've been doing this from day one OR I'm a total moron because I'm missing the entire point of this thread. I'll go with door #2 and make a graceful exit.

Enjoy using siri the way it was designed and have a great day!
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:29 PM   #25
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
OMG how is this a "trick"?? It's how Siri functions..... I guess I'm either a freaking genius because I've been doing this from day one OR I'm a total moron because I'm missing the entire point of this thread. I'll go with door #2 and make a graceful exit.

Enjoy using siri the way it was designed and have a great day!
Well usually people wait for the ping sound, the sound that Siri gives you to let you know she got your command and is processing the information. But sometimes it takes a little while for it to give you that feedback

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone