Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1
RCRod83
macrumors regular

When I take the case off my iP5..

When I take the case off my black IP5, I admire its beauty.. it's sleekness, and design. But only a few seconds, as I put my IP5 back in its protective case, shutting away the beauty.

Do any of you remember back in the day, pre-iphone, when it wasn't the norm to have a case for your phone? All my Nokia and Motorola phones didn't have cases, and I was never worried about them getting scratched.

But the iPhone is different. It must have a case, and a screen protector, otherwise I won't feel comfortable taking the phone out.
RCRod83 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

I use my phone naked and admire its beauty everytime I take it out. I also don't have chronic anxiety about getting it scratched up. So you're the problem, not your phone.

And your old motorola and nokia phones looked like garbage anyway, so you never cared about getting them scratched or dinged.
stonyboys is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Rhythmic-
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod83 View Post
When I take the case off my black IP5, I admire its beauty.. it's sleekness, and design. But only a few seconds, as I put my IP5 back in its protective case, shutting away the beauty.

Do any of you remember back in the day, pre-iphone, when it wasn't the norm to have a case for your phone? All my Nokia and Motorola phones didn't have cases, and I was never worried about them getting scratched.

But the iPhone is different. It must have a case, and a screen protector, otherwise I won't feel comfortable taking the phone out.
Haha, so true. I remember having a 3210 back then. Man that thing was sturdy, I must've dropped it over a dozen times. I was only 11 back then though, so I didn't really care about it's looks, so long as it's fine and I can play Snake lmfao.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing only adults use cases/holsters (mainly holsters) on their phones back then. My dad who had 7110 always had it in a holster. Phones back then also felt sturdier than the phones we have these days, from what I remember.
Rhythmic- is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:39 PM   #4
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

never used a case in my life

its just a phone, I have much more valuable things that I am protective over
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

Naked. Too pretty to cover. Who are we kidding anyway? As soon as the next one comes out this one will be gone and we will all have a pretty new one in our pocket
Nolander07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
sviato
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
I use my phone naked and admire its beauty everytime I take it out. I also don't have chronic anxiety about getting it scratched up. So you're the problem, not your phone.

And your old motorola and nokia phones looked like garbage anyway, so you never cared about getting them scratched or dinged.
Exactly this. I don't use a case on my iPhone. Whatever happens, happens. I'd rather enjoy it to its fullest extent than be worried about a scratch as if my life is going to end
sviato is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:07 PM   #7
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Why is that a rule? I've carried all my iPhones naked since 2007, and they still fetch over $400 (unlocked) even with a major scratch when I sell after one year.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:25 PM   #8
The Game 161
macrumors 601

Get a wallet for it

you get to enjoy the naked phone when using it and keeps it safe at the same time.
The Game 161 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:14 PM   #9
darster
macrumors 68000

Just get one of these black paper thin cases. Exactly the same case as the Pinlo Slice but for a whole lot less. The black case matches the black iphone perfectly in color. Case will protect back and sides from scratches and makes it feel like a naked iphone. Best of both worlds.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160885926175...84.m1439.l2649
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:34 PM   #10
PNutts
macrumors 601

I've always used cases with smartphones and cell phones. Even when they were work issued.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:41 PM   #11
numberforty1
macrumors 6502

Some people are rough on things, while others aren't. Some people like to have a cosmetically perfect phone , some don't care. We all have different lifestyles.

I personally hate fine scratches so i use a thin clear back/case on my ip5 , even though I have applecare+

to each their own
numberforty1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Troneas
macrumors 65816

why not take a picture of your "naked" phone so you can admire it without ever having to expose it to the frightening unpredictable risks of removing its case?

you never know, a dust particle might get through as you admire it.
Troneas is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:25 PM   #13
adam044
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod83 View Post

still the norm for me dont see a point in cases just be careful with it
adam044 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:35 PM   #14
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

I can't ever not use a case with my iphone. It feels great without one and it looks awesome but the fact that value of the phone can drop almost up to $100 because of a few scratches, I deal with it.
cnguyen0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:51 PM   #15
tmgarvey
macrumors member

You can always get a leather holder or something like that, to protect it in your pocket or wallet, and take it out when you use it. I have a couple of Fortte cases with lanyard straps to I can clip the strap to my pocketbook. Keeps it from disappearing in the bottom of my purse--I can fish it out by the strap--and protects it from all the junk I carry in my purse. I usually do have a slim case on it, but with the leather case I really wouldn't have to.

I've had Blackberrys with only a screen protector and a leather case and they held up VERY well in terms of wear. I'm a little uber-protective of the iPhone, though--seems like most of us are. It's just a little more delicate than a bb.
tmgarvey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:58 PM   #16
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
I can't ever not use a case with my iphone. It feels great without one and it looks awesome but the fact that value of the phone can drop almost up to $100 because of a few scratches, I deal with it.
Unless you're the type to upgrade every time a new phone comes out, I'm skeptical that a few scratches make that big of a difference by the time one plans on selling.
Pakaku is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:03 AM   #17
aleni
macrumors 68000

i never use a case from iphone 2g to 5. it hides the sleekness of the design. just use it as a tool, stop being too OCD with that.

if u use a case, the one who enjoys its beauty is the secondhand buyer.
aleni is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:31 AM   #18
Matthew9559
macrumors 6502a

I mainly use a case because I am prone to dropping my phone. I do take out it and used it naked every once in awhile though.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:35 AM   #19
Prof.
macrumors 601

I've never used a case for any of my phones... until I got an iPhone, cuz you know, it's made of glass.........
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post

I had a Motorola Razer that was anodized aluminum and it was a thing of beauty. Never had a scratch on it by the way. I have a bumper only on my 4S so I can at least admire it's coolness. The weak, scratch prone aluminum Apple chose to use on the 5 and their obsession with thinness so that the thing bends in your pocket are things that could have been avoided so most people don't have to hide/protect it in a case.

I also tire of the "my phone is perfect in every way, therefore everyone else's problems do not exist" crowd.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:53 AM   #21
kanesw
macrumors regular

Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:07 AM   #22
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

No case here, naked for life!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:13 AM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I use a Sena Ultraslim pouch, so when not in use, the phone is protected from scuffs and scratches. When I use it, it is naked. Granted, the case provides limited drop protection, but I love using the phone naked.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:43 AM   #24
John T
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I use a Sena Ultraslim pouch, so when not in use, the phone is protected from scuffs and scratches. When I use it, it is naked. Granted, the case provides limited drop protection, but I love using the phone naked.
Top marks for Sena Ultraslim. Top quality materials and keeps phone in pristine condition.
John T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:48 AM   #25
Homersapien
macrumors newbie

Every mobile I've owned has been in a case. Even had the same setup kanesw posted above, which is pretty dang funny considering how ugly but also bulletproof those early Nokia phones were. Used cases with my Treos too, and those things were ridiculously large even without them.
Homersapien is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone