Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I traded mine (black->white), and in the 3 days I was waiting for my case for my white one, I got a nasty scuff on the back of it. So I would say, by the one you want and just be careful.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I say enjoy it and stop being so obsessed with scuff marks. If you like black get black, don't pick a colour based on what ifs.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Got a black i5 returned for a white. Just so you know both scuff on the edges. I just liked the two toned white silver on the phone and when it does scuff I think it's less noticeable. When I got my mini went black without question. I just think it looks better. Also since I use it to watch a lot of content the continuous black makes it more appealing to watch.

My two cents

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I really like the black one, so I'm properly going with that. But would like any thoughts of scratches? Still debating on trading my iPad 2 for a mini though... :eek:

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I say go with black. The white one is distracting when trying to watch videos. Black is more seamless.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I say go with black. The white one is distracting when trying to watch videos. Black is more seamless.

I have a black Ipad 3, but used to have a white Ipad 2, and I agree with this. Everything just blends in perfectly when watching a video on a black ipad. This was one of the main reasons I got another black one. I have a white Iphone 5, and love it, but rarely watch videos on it.

adamirox

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
The issue is not the colour itself. It's particularly about the ipad mini in black. Ipad mini had different design to ipad 2or 3. Around the screen there is a black alluminium frame. Mine started peeling off after 4days of very careful handling (i also own ipad 2 , use it at work daily and no such thing has been happening for over 6 months since i got the ipad2)

People are getting it all confused.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/10/11/ipad-mini-low-yield-rates-chassis/

The issue is the alluminium edge around the screen

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

I agree. It didn't bother me as much on my white iPad 2 but on my white iPad then The border really stood out. (I think it's because it's a smaller screen)

Anyway, I've since switched to black and feel its much much easier on the eyes so I'm happy. And as for scratches, the white dents just as easily along that beveled edge so I think obsessing over it is going to result in disappointment regardless what color you get.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I always prefer the white version of Apple products, but the black/slate one is soooooo sleek and modern looking. Also, the black border makes the screen seamless and gives off the effect that it melts into the borders. I love it. As for the back, mine is holding up extremely well. When not in use it's in a pouch and that's as far as protecting it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.