Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
PTVMan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Maps/GPS on Mini with WiFi Only?

It feels like I should know the answer to this, but what is the difference between Maps/GPS on an iPad Mini with only wifi versus Maps/GPS on a Mini with cellular?
PTVMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTVMan View Post
It feels like I should know the answer to this, but what is the difference between Maps/GPS on an iPad Mini with only wifi versus Maps/GPS on a Mini with cellular?
Wifi Mini has no GPS chip whatsoever. Sad.
Awakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
PTVMan
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Wifi Mini has no GPS chip whatsoever. Sad.
So, it can't be used no navigation?
PTVMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:58 PM   #4
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTVMan View Post
So, it can't be used no navigation?
Not unless u tether.
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:02 PM   #5
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
There are devices that broadcast GPS like: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetoo...h+gps+receiver

Or if you are using a mifi for GPS in motion, some mifi's have GPS in them.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:38 PM   #6
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Top left corner
iPad can use an iPhone's GPS if you wifi tether.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac 1.8GHz i7 11" MacBook Air 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display
4TB RAID 10 8TB RAID 0 6TB RAID 0 2TB Time Capsule ac White/silver iPhone 5S & iPad Air
xraydoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Crabnbass
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Dual makes a Bluetooth Receiver that can be found on Amazon that will turn a Wifi only iPad or iPod into a navigational tool.

Last edited by Crabnbass; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Crabnbass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:25 PM   #8
KatanaAzul
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
I personally use the Bad Elf Pro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008VWNBBE/) and have been very impressed. Since it's WAAS enabled it's much more accurate than the GPS that's in the iPhone or that will be in the cellular version of the iPad mini.

I'm a pilot so the GPS is essential but I didn't see the point in spending $130 extra for a cellular iPad when I could get a much more accurate receiver for about the same price (that I can still use no matter what iPad or iPhone I end up upgrading to in the future).
KatanaAzul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:13 AM   #9
FlashHead
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
If you have an iPhone, why would you need to use the iPad for navigation. I find the phone is preferable anyway while driving, particularly with turn by turn. Do miss google maps though. hope they come out with it soon.
FlashHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:04 AM   #10
VFC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SE PA.
The Nexus 7 has a built in GPS chip. My wife saw the commercial for a special at Olive Garden and wanted to go out for dinner. I picked up my N7, hit the Google button and said "nearest Olive Garden". It came up with one about 20 miles away and kicked off Google Maps. I set the N7 on my dash and the GPS lead us straight to the restaurant (including a road behind the shopping center that I didn't think was an official street). My iPad 3 sat at home powered off as usual.

Last edited by VFC; Nov 12, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
VFC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:20 AM   #11
MatthewStorm
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post
The Nexus 7 has a built in GPS chip. My wife saw the commercial for a special at Olive Garden and wanted to go out for dinner. I picked up my N7, hit the Google button and said "nearest Olive Garden". It came up with one about 20 miles away and kicked off Google Maps. I set the N7 on my dash and the GPS lead us straight to the restaurant (including a road behind the shopping center that I didn't think was an official street). My iPad 3 sat at home powered off as usual.
I hate navigating on my Mini tethered to my iPhone. It's pretty much unusable..it constantly loses the signal. I have to keep reselecting my device, them sometimes I have to reenter the password. The GPS icon is always off. Sometimes it locks up and won't move.

My N7 grabs the signal from my phone and never let's go. The N7 treats the phone like a wifi hotspot whereas my iPhone treats it as a device.

Why does Apple have such a difficult time with their WiFi? It's really disheartening and quite annoying. Is there an engineer around that can explain the epic fail on this one?

I love the form factor of the Mini and the pantheon of Apps but its performance can be downright crap.
__________________
Posted via iPad Air Verizon or
the iP5
MatthewStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:11 PM   #12
dhy8386
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewStorm View Post
I hate navigating on my Mini tethered to my iPhone. It's pretty much unusable..it constantly loses the signal. I have to keep reselecting my device, them sometimes I have to reenter the password. The GPS icon is always off. Sometimes it locks up and won't move.

My N7 grabs the signal from my phone and never let's go. The N7 treats the phone like a wifi hotspot whereas my iPhone treats it as a device.

Why does Apple have such a difficult time with their WiFi? It's really disheartening and quite annoying. Is there an engineer around that can explain the epic fail on this one?

I love the form factor of the Mini and the pantheon of Apps but its performance can be downright crap.
Has to do with wifi sleep issues. Use Bluetooth instead. Uses less battery and stays connected even if phone goes to sleep. Throughput is not as good as wifi but still very high. Also connects instantly.
dhy8386 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC