Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ildandi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Is there a way for create an app that contains remote HTML pages .... without have problems in App Store validation process?

Thanks

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Is there a way for create an app that contains remote HTML pages .... without have problems in App Store validation process?

Yes, there is. Facebook was done this way until the last major revision, when they converted it to a native app. As jnoxx said, you just need to make sure that your app isn't just a "web browser" to a specific site.

ildandi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for your replies.

I'm not talking about Hybrid solution.... I think that old Facebook App version was hybrid.Right?

So I can't have a simple browser.... I need to have something in "native code". Having 20% native and 80% remote HTML page. Could be OK?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
So I can't have a simple browser.... I need to have something in "native code". Having 20% native and 80% remote HTML page. Could be OK?

I don't think there's a magic number. Your app must provide value over just visiting the website alone. In the end, Apple decides if what you've added is worthy of being considered "extra value".

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Note that if your native app doesn't do anything the web version can't, you may as well just point out the "Add to Homescreen" button to iOS visitors to your site the way Google Maps does.

ildandi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
From mobile web site to app

Hi, I read about a solution that starting from a mobile web site allows to created an app. I think that this solution will create something like a runtime/browser for run site as an app

What I'm asking is how can be approved by App Approval System this kind of app, if we know that apps with remote pages are considered as a valid app?

Thanks

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hi, I read about a solution that starting from a mobile web site allows to created an app. I think that this solution will create something like a runtime/browser for run site as an app

What I'm asking is how can be approved by App Approval System this kind of app, if we know that apps with remote pages are considered as a valid app?

Thanks

I'm not quite sure I understand your question...
A feature I know a lot of HTML based apps have is picture uploading. The safari browser doesn't allow picture uploading, so Facebook, for example, used to have the app solely so you could upload pictures. (They've since updated it to be native and not HTML based.)

I actually can't think of any other HTML based apps I have that utilize any feature besides picture uploading...

One thing... If you're doing this, make your app look good please. That's something that's relatively easy for native apps but hard for HTML based apps.

ildandi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Suppose that I don't need image upload in features.

Why Do I read about a solution that allow to transform a mobile web site to a native app? Is it really possible?? Without having problems during Apple approval process

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.