Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petalino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I am hoping that someone has an answer to my question.

A few months ago I started using Aperture and just today have discovered that by mistake I have permanently deleted a bunch of my photo files. A whole bunch: 233GB!!

Fortunately I use Time Machine, so I hope that I can recoved all of them by going back in time and restoring an older backup copy.

Since I have never used TM machine to restore flies, my question is:
if I go back 4 months and restore the backup from that time, what will happenen to the files which I added to the HD during those 4 months?
Will they be merged with the older backup to effectively give me a sum of the old files plus anything new, or will the new files be overwritten and lost (which I seriously doubt)???

BTW, I keep all of my photo files on an external USB HD.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I use time machine regularly to restore the odd file here and there. All I do is open time machine and search out the file or files I require. I highlight them and hit restore. At that point in time the files will come forward and will start restoring themselves. If you happen to grab a duplicate of a file you still have currently, it will ask if you want to replace it or keep both. Time machine is almost bomb proof. I have never done a complete backup, just grabbed the files I required only and go from there. If you are worried, try opening time machine and grabbing a simple file or document, try restoring it and you will see how simple it is to do. This will run you through the process and will ease your mind about trying something large like your photos. And it will not erase any files that are currently stored on your hdd. You would be promted before it can happen. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.