Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
iPad 4 has image retention???

Is this like something LG doesn't test for or something?

Edit: Pic for the skeptical.

__________________
rMBP (10.8), 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Hackintosh (10.7.4), 4.6 GHz i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, 3xHD7970, 2x240GB Vertex 3 RAID 0 SSD, 2x600GB Velociraptor 10KRPM, Drobo S 5x2TB, 2x HP LP3065 30-inch.

Last edited by AzN1337c0d3r; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Deasnutz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Still skeptical.
Deasnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
syd430
Guest
 
How do you know you have an LG panel?

AFIK it was never determined that they are the exclusive provider for these 4th gen panels
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
Still skeptical.
Clearly photoshopped.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
scupking
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Its impossible to have IR on an LCD screen only plasmas or old CRTs can have IR.
__________________
2010 Macbook Pro 13"
iPad rMini (black, 32GB wifi)
scupking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Explain why all the ghost images of the icons are lined up next to the bezel. Too much time on your hands?
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:19 PM   #7
usmaak
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
Its impossible to have IR on an LCD screen only plasmas or old CRTs can have IR.
Go on over to the huge Retina MacBook Pro image retention thread on the apple discussion board and tell them that. In this case image retention is not the same thing as burn in. It's a temporary ghosting that appears to happen on a lot of LG screens on the rMBP.
usmaak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:21 PM   #8
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Nice try! Can clearly see a double reflection of where your body position shifted slightly between two photos. This hacky photoshop can even be accomplished on the iPad.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Jetson
macrumors 6502a
 
Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
Its impossible to have IR on an LCD screen only plasmas or old CRTs can have IR.
Unfortunately that isn't true.

LCD panels can indeed suffer from image retention.
Jetson is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:53 PM   #10
supertomtom
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Explain why all the ghost images of the icons are lined up next to the bezel. Too much time on your hands?

Looks like image retention from the settings page.
supertomtom is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:06 PM   #11
briceman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I've now had two ipad 2's with this issue. I have decided to live with it now since I don't have light bleed anymore.
briceman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:24 PM   #12
AzN1337c0d3r
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Bottom View Post
Nice try! Can clearly see a double reflection of where your body position shifted slightly between two photos. This hacky photoshop can even be accomplished on the iPad.
Or, there is 2 light sources in my room...
__________________
rMBP (10.8), 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Hackintosh (10.7.4), 4.6 GHz i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, 3xHD7970, 2x240GB Vertex 3 RAID 0 SSD, 2x600GB Velociraptor 10KRPM, Drobo S 5x2TB, 2x HP LP3065 30-inch.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:48 PM   #13
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertomtom View Post
Looks like image retention from the settings page.
Yeah thought of it after the fact. Suppose anything is possible.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:00 AM   #14
bruceclay85
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Wow you people just assume that because something is wrong with a. apple product that it has to be fake. I have had this issue with the iPad 3 and my last 4s. Not to mention it has been an issue with the MacBook Pro retina line.

To the original poster, if you download a retention removal app and leave it on overnight it will remove the ghosting. That's was my solution, however I don't know how permanent of a fix it is.

My case was close enough to the iPhone 5 release that I never ran back into the issue before getting the new phone.
bruceclay85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:01 AM   #15
sammjordan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I had this problem on my ipad 2, took a couple replacements to get one without the issue
sammjordan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:14 PM   #16
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceclay85 View Post
Wow you people just assume that because something is wrong with a. apple product that it has to be fake. I have had this issue with the iPad 3 and my last 4s. Not to mention it has been an issue with the MacBook Pro retina line.
It's difficult to believe because it's an LCD screen.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #17
AzN1337c0d3r
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
It's difficult to believe because it's an LCD screen.
The fact that you don't think it could happen on an LCD screen means that most people don't experience IR when using LCD panels.

However, an alarming number of Retina Macbook Pro users (some who have replaced their screens 13+ times) see this phenomenon with the LG panel. Yours truly replaced the panel 7 times for IR before I got a Samsung panel which does not exhibit this issue.

Here's the 5500+ reply Apple Discussion forums thread on the issue. That thread has gotten so many views now, it appears the thread view counter has rolled over, lol.

I vow to never ever buy a product with an LCD made by LG ever again.
__________________
rMBP (10.8), 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Hackintosh (10.7.4), 4.6 GHz i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, 3xHD7970, 2x240GB Vertex 3 RAID 0 SSD, 2x600GB Velociraptor 10KRPM, Drobo S 5x2TB, 2x HP LP3065 30-inch.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Booloo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I would just recommend keeping the brightness below 50% for the first 100 hours or so. IR is more sensitive during the panel's break-in period. Never saw this on an iPad, but I definitely don't doubt the OP.
Booloo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:34 PM   #19
AzN1337c0d3r
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booloo View Post
IR is more sensitive during the panel's break-in period.
I am skeptical of this statement. Image Retention is caused by imbalance in the ions inside the LCD crystals, has nothing to do with the brightness.

Also my experience with IR in the rMBP15 has been that it gets worse with time, not better.
__________________
rMBP (10.8), 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Hackintosh (10.7.4), 4.6 GHz i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, 3xHD7970, 2x240GB Vertex 3 RAID 0 SSD, 2x600GB Velociraptor 10KRPM, Drobo S 5x2TB, 2x HP LP3065 30-inch.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:45 PM   #20
thelead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
It happens on LCDs (not on all but some panels). If you think it doesn't, you're wrong. That's a fact.

Last edited by thelead; Nov 11, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
thelead is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:32 PM   #21
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post
The fact that you don't think it could happen on an LCD screen means that most people don't experience IR when using LCD panels.
Apologies, OP. Can see now you aren't just pranking.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:54 PM   #22
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post
The fact that you don't think it could happen on an LCD screen means that most people don't experience IR when using LCD panels.

However, an alarming number of Retina Macbook Pro users (some who have replaced their screens 13+ times) see this phenomenon with the LG panel. Yours truly replaced the panel 7 times for IR before I got a Samsung panel which does not exhibit this issue.

Here's the 5500+ reply Apple Discussion forums thread on the issue. That thread has gotten so many views now, it appears the thread view counter has rolled over, lol.

I vow to never ever buy a product with an LCD made by LG ever again.
Anyone who has replaced this iPad 13 times deserves to see this phenomenon for the rest of their life. Why start threads like this? Have nothing to do, try dating.
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:01 PM   #23
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
It's difficult to believe because it's an LCD screen.
It's more common than you think on LCDs.

Burn in, less so.
bogatyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:21 PM   #24
dazz87
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booloo View Post
I would just recommend keeping the brightness below 50% for the first 100 hours or so. IR is more sensitive during the panel's break-in period. Never saw this on an iPad, but I definitely don't doubt the OP.
This is what I did on my Panny plasma. .... I have a feeling the OP set his ipad at 100 brightness and also had his screen set to never to turn off. LG = IR
dazz87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #25
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
That is terrible. I'd take that crap back.

I can't believe Apple uses LG as a supplier of displays, what a joke. LG isn't exactly top notch in the quality department.
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: iPad 2 Image Retention Problem!!! Charliebird iPad 2 Nov 17, 2013 02:12 PM
iPad: iPad 4 image retention SBruv iPad 48 Jul 12, 2013 12:16 AM
iPad 1 image retention?? RussellJones iPad 0 Oct 22, 2012 04:15 PM
New iPad has image retention/screen burn in Pastries iPad 5 Sep 30, 2012 11:42 AM
iPad 2 image retention jmccamb iPad 1 Sep 10, 2012 09:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC