Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

100806-htc_logo.jpg
Apple has posted a press release tonight, announcing that Apple and HTC have reached a global settlement on their patent dispute. The agreement has resulted in a ten-year patent licensing agreement between the companies and the dismissal of all current lawsuits. The press release includes quotes from HTC's and Apple's CEOs:
"HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

"We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC," said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple. "We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation."
The license extends to current and future patents held by both parties. The terms of the settlement are confidential.

Apple first filed a lawsuit against HTC in March, 2010. Apple had alleged that HTC had infringed on 20 iPhone-related patents. HTC had been a prominent player in the Android market at the time, and also represented Google's manufacturing partner for the Nexus One.

HTC had subsequently countersued Apple in 2011 and claimed that Apple had infringed on several of HTC's patents with the Mac, iPhone and iPad products.

Apple and HTC have been exchanging legal blows over the past two years with product bans and legal fees that were rumored to top $100 million. Apple recently won another high profile patent dispute in the U.S. against Samsung with a $1 billion verdict in favor of Apple.

Article Link: Apple and HTC Settle Patent Dispute, Agree to Ten Year License

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm kinda thinking that Apple settled because they no longer feel that HTC is a threat or relevant. Don't expect any settlements wit Sammy.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
HTC's current phones are innovative and look nothing like Apple products anymore. Samsung just started shipping off a bunch of Macbook Air and Mac Mini knockoffs. Also, Samsung is now HTC's biggest enemy. The enemy of my enemy is my friendemy.

Last edited:

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
With Samsung sucking up all the air in the Android space, this is a good move for HTC. Android fans love to talk about "choice," then they all buy Samsungs.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
"HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC.

Apple should take a page from HTC's book and follow suit with the plethora of lawsuits they have filed. Not debating authenticity of said suits, however it seems Apple is innovating less and suing more. The last time I was "wowed" by Apple was in 2006/7 with the iPhone. Riding the iWave is getting tired.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Apple offered to settle with samsung, several years ago. Samsung refused, which is why they went to court.

Apple offered to settle with HTC, and Apple and HTC came to terms.

Apple is not being unreasonable... it is Samsung, and Google, and motorola who are being unreasonable.

Because they think they are too big to be convicted of stealing.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
The last time I was "wowed" by Apple was in 2006/7 with the iPhone. Riding the iWave is getting tired.

I don't believe you were ever "Wowed" and I think you've been an apple hater since you first bought some other product and regretted it when you realized Apple's product was better.

I think it's astounding that apple haters think we're so stupid as to fall for lies like the ones you're telling. It's really pretty obvious.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't believe you were ever "Wowed" and I think you've been an apple hater since you first bought some other product and regretted it when you realized Apple's product was better.

I think it's astounding that apple haters think we're so stupid as to fall for lies like the ones you're telling. It's really pretty obvious.

Ok So my decade+ of using Apple products since grad school and now work is a figment of your imagination?

I own a 12-Core Mac Pro, 2 24" LED LCD's, an iPad, every iPhone incarnation, and am writing on a MacBook Air. I used to WORK for Apple Corp., but I suppose someone who can objectively critique a company they value must be a "troll" (I loathe that term and as a 35 year old man, 36 tomorrow, hate that I have to use such a childish term in response to an immature post).

Blind infatuation will yield to stagnation, however objectively stating "I don't agree with said product or such act" and voting with your dollars will get a company's attention. Take a look at Apple stock, maybe a hiccup, maybe not. Regardless, I hope it wakes them up a bit to innovate more. I'm glad Forstall is gone, and thrilled Browett is as well; that duo would have walked Apple down a dark path (Johnson was/is amazing in retail, shame Apple lost him to Penny's).

(PS if I really hated Apple as you claim, why would I donate annually to a site dedicated to Apple products? I guess I really must hate Apple ;) )

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Apple should take a page from HTC's book and follow suit with the plethora of lawsuits they have filed. Not debating authenticity of said suits, however it seems Apple is innovating less and suing more. The last time I was "wowed" by Apple was in 2006/7 with the iPhone. Riding the iWave is getting tired.

I think its ridiculous to have your trollish posts in every other thread bashing Apple for something that's not even provable; instead can be proved that Apple has been constantly innovating in almost every space possible. Just because the app launcher is stale for some doesn't mean they are not innovating.

There's no need to cite incomplete text and suggest Apple should take a page. Apple and HTC released this public response in a combined meeting. They both reached to an agreement for which the details are confidential.

----------

Ok So my decade+ of using Apple products since grad school and now work is a figment of your imagination?

I own a 12-Core Mac Pro, 2 24" LED LCD's, an iPad, every iPhone incarnation, and am writing on a MacBook Air. I used to WORK for Apple Corp., but I suppose someone who can objectively critique a company they value must be a "troll" (I loathe that term and as a 35 year old man, 36 tomorrow, hate that I have to use such a childish term in response to an immature post).

Blind infatuation will yield to draconian results, being able to objectively state "hey, I don't agree with said product or such act" and vote with your dollars that things may change.

(PS if I really hated Apple as you claim, why would I donate annually to a site dedicated to Apple products? I guess I really must hate Apple ;) )

Maybe to post BS in every other thread?

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
...The last time I was "wowed" by Apple was in 2006/7 with the iPhone...

I don't believe you were ever "Wowed" and I think you've been an apple hater since you first bought some other product and regretted it when you realized Apple's product was better...

Well, I do not know if you two have any history (too lazy to really look into it) but I have to agree that I have not been "wowed" by Apple like I was when Steve Jobs showed us that first iPhone in 2007.

I have liked plenty of other products they make, I have purchased 3 of their phones plus a number of other items (like the computer I am using right now) but nothing they have done since the first iPhone has really "wowed" me.

Edit/Addition: I have been very impressed by their products, I feel they are made better than just about everything that competes with them. I am a big fan of Apple: I am just talking about that "wow" that I felt watching the iPhone introduction. What else have they done that really wowed anyone? Look at the audience reaction during the keynotes.

Last edited:

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Apple offered to settle with samsung, several years ago. Samsung refused, which is why they went to court.

Apple offered to settle with HTC, and Apple and HTC came to terms.

Apple is not being unreasonable... it is Samsung, and Google, and motorola who are being unreasonable.

Because they think they are too big to be convicted of stealing.

I want to offer you a chance to debate me on this. But I am going to decide the rules to this offer. Whatever points I make in this debate, you must agree on. If you disagree, you are being unreasonable because I am too big an influential to be challenged.

See what I did there? ;)

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Well, I do not know if you two have any history (too lazy to really look into it) but I have to agree that I have not been "wowed" by Apple like I was when Steve Jobs showed us that first iPhone in 2007.

I have liked plenty of other products they make, I have purchased 3 of their phones plus a number of other items (like the computer I am using right now) but nothing they have done since the first iPhone has really "wowed" me.

No history, never even communicated with said individual before, or the other one. Find it amusing that I have an apparent "history", if you do read my posts, I'm actually quite the nice guy and especially enjoy helping others on the forums. Oh well, guess if you express an opinion someone doesn't agree with, it gets personal for them. :)

Maybe to post BS in every other thread?

That's a lot of BS. In every other thread? I think I even impressed myself :)

Last edited:

siphyn87

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Cleveland, OH
With Samsung sucking up all the air in the Android space, this is a good move for HTC. Android fans love to talk about "choice," then they all buy Samsungs.

Please...there are just as many hardcore Moto/HTC fans out there, as there are Samsung fans. With LG making the Nexus 4 it will bring a lot of attention to LG as well.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Great news and hopefully a sign of things to come. Reward the companies and encourage competition instead of making lawyers rich. We all win as consumers.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
That's a lot of BS. In every other thread? I think I even impressed myself :)

Unless you wish to discuss this maturely without exaggerations and personal slander, I don't see the point in writing someone I don't know who seems quick to judge on an internet site as a goos use of my time. Although, apparently, my double must be posting on, like, every other thread, right?

Umm. Personal slander? Naa. Just really tired of your posts in literally every thread over the last few weeks explaining how Apple sucks and how Android and Google are way above everything.

I don't need you to be an Apple fan. I diss Apple too on a number of occasions. Your posts don't show reason; they are just an attempt to make a point — 'Hey – Apple sucks'. Guess what? It's getting boring now.

I've had conversations with you previously. I've shared PM's with you in the past before you requested time-out of MacRumors.

Nevertheless, you still won't reply to my post where I mention that this was a collaborative meeting and yours was a deliberate attempt to mock Apple by quoting a specific text from the news. Any thing on that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.