Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Anti-Lucifer
Banned

You got iPad 3? Don't sell! You got iPad 2? Sell for mini!!!

I will start out straight to the point. If you own an iPad 3, I would not sell it for a mini personally. I also happen to have two more iPad 2's and one of them is on sale now!!!

I went to best buy to check out a gift card and of course I had to see how bad the iPad Mimi's screen was. Let me say this: retina it is not. Deal breaker it is definitely not! In fact the screen was very acceptable having seen my iPad 2 screen, the mini is far far better. I mean it was good enough to warrant me selling my ipad 2 64GB 3G for a mini LTE! (Ordering soon)

The screen isn't retina quality but you almost have to really look for ugliness to complain about when comparing to an iPad 2. True the iPad 2 is larger but seriously, this new mini is so gorgeous build quality wise and it has Siri, iPad 3 camera, and best of all same battery as an iPad 2!!!

I was extremely skeptical of this device at launch but having seen and experiencing it, I am completely sold on it. See there may be a retina next year but damn, it will replace the ipad 2 for now!

It's so easy to type in portrait orientation too! I really think the device is worth a purchase that is if you want an iPad 2 in a small form factor. My iPhone 5 is too small for surfing the net and this 7" is pretty sweet right in the middle. You have to put the screen in your face around 6-8" to see pixels but its definitely not like the ipad 2 pixels. This mini is truly great!!

So for those with an iPad 2, make the trade you gain Siri, substantially better cameras, and so light weight and awesome build quality and battery life! Make the trade! I would not trade my iPad 3 for one however I would trade the ipad 3 for the iPad 4!!
Anti-Lucifer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
I will start out straight to the point. If you own an iPad 3, I would not sell it for a mini personally. I also happen to have two more iPad 2's and one of them is on sale now!!!

I went to best buy to check out a gift card and of course I had to see how bad the iPad Mimi's screen was. Let me say this: retina it is not. Deal breaker it is definitely not! In fact the screen was very acceptable having seen my iPad 2 screen, the mini is far far better. I mean it was good enough to warrant me selling my ipad 2 64GB 3G for a mini LTE! (Ordering soon)

The screen isn't retina quality but you almost have to really look for ugliness to complain about when comparing to an iPad 2. True the iPad 2 is larger but seriously, this new mini is so gorgeous build quality wise and it has Siri, iPad 3 camera, and best of all same battery as an iPad 2!!!

I was extremely skeptical of this device at launch but having seen and experiencing it, I am completely sold on it. See there may be a retina next year but damn, it will replace the ipad 2 for now!

It's so easy to type in portrait orientation too! I really think the device is worth a purchase that is if you want an iPad 2 in a small form factor. My iPhone 5 is too small for surfing the net and this 7" is pretty sweet right in the middle. You have to put the screen in your face around 6-8" to see pixels but its definitely not like the ipad 2 pixels. This mini is truly great!!

So for those with an iPad 2, make the trade you gain Siri, substantially better cameras, and so light weight and awesome build quality and battery life! Make the trade! I would not trade my iPad 3 for one however I would trade the ipad 3 for the iPad 4!!
I agree... I'm selling my iPad 3 also though because I need the money but can't live without a tablet at this point. It's too integrated into my daily life.

MrXiro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

This is what I did. I have an iPad 3 and had a nearly unused iPad 2 that my kids very occasionally used. Sold the iPad 2 and bought a mini.

The kids still have two original iPads and my wife's iPad 2 to use.

And I'll make good use of both the iPad 3 (at home reading books, surfing Internet) and iPad mini (comes with me to work daily for presenting Keynote presentations, Evernote, calendar, answering emails, reference library, etc.).
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
After a bunch of buys and sells, the end result was me doing this. I had 2 iPad 2's and an iPad 1. Sold the 1 and one of the 2's and got my wife and I iPad minis, and my son got lucky and bumped up from an iPad 1 to an ipad 2. My wife loves hers, and I just picked mine up today (long story).

I love it. With the size, it is the iOS device I always wanted, besides the iPhone.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:27 AM   #5
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

i have ipad 2, no for ipad mini.

Glass too thin, i dont trust the durability.
raccoonboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:49 AM   #6
Lukewarmwinner
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
i have ipad 2, no for ipad mini.

Glass too thin, i dont trust the durability.
You gotta be kiddin'?
Lukewarmwinner is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:30 AM   #7
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukewarmwinner View Post
You gotta be kiddin'?
He is not kidding. I hated the hollow glass feeling. A full size ipad has a much better feeling when typing on it, no glass flex. Go SEE a mini at the Apple store and and then make your choice. The mini is not for everyone. For the little extra size and weight, I would take the iPad any day.

It is all amount personal preference and our tolerance of others not wanting the same thing.
HowardSmith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:53 AM   #8
FlashHead
macrumors regular

I go back and forth between my 3 and mini with no problem whatsoever.
FlashHead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:52 AM   #9
d123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
He is not kidding. I hated the hollow glass feeling. A full size ipad has a much better feeling when typing on it, no glass flex. Go SEE a mini at the Apple store and and then make your choice. The mini is not for everyone. For
I'm sitting here with a Mini, an iPad 2 and an iPad 3, and what you say makes no sense.

If anything, the Mini feels the most robust and strongest, probably because the screen size is smaller, but pushing on the Mini screen and there is zero flex or feeling of weakness even when pushing hard on the middle of the screen.

Quote:
For the little extra size and weight, I would take the iPad any day.
Do you have a Mini? Or at least used one for an extended period? It isn't "a little extra size and weight", the iPad 3 weighs DOUBLE the weight of the Mini .
d123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

Sold my iPad 3 for the mini and regret it for minute
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:57 AM   #11
ZBoater
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
I will start out straight to the point. If you own an iPad 3, I would not sell it for a mini personally....I would not trade my iPad 3 for one however I would trade the ipad 3 for the iPad 4!!
Good for you. I would.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:46 AM   #12
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d123 View Post
I'm sitting here with a Mini, an iPad 2 and an iPad 3, and what you say makes no sense.

If anything, the Mini feels the most robust and strongest, probably because the screen size is smaller, but pushing on the Mini screen and there is zero flex or feeling of weakness even when pushing hard on the middle of the screen.

Do you have a Mini? Or at least used one for an extended period? It isn't "a little extra size and weight", the iPad 3 weighs DOUBLE the weight of the Mini .
Sorry but I could SEE my screen flex in reflections. I, too, used both side by side and there was no comparing.

What ever floats your boat.

I do not carry my ipad around with me all day long so the weight difference makes no difference as far a choosing which to have and use. The screen size and quality display DOES!

Like I said, use what you want, choice is good! I love the way so many thought a smaller iPad was such a horrible idea and now . . ... . LOL!

Just like the larger iPhone, everyone was freaking out! Now they call their 4S a stubby brick!
HowardSmith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:47 AM   #13
urkel
macrumors 68020

I'm not trying to criticize, but isn't this thread topic a bit late? How much are people getting for a discontinued product that is available for refurb for $379 at Apple? I love my Mini but if I didn't lock in my trade in price BEFORE the announcement then it would mean my losses would be so high that I'm essentially trading a $500 iPad3 for a $329 Mini. And that's not necessarily a good deal for most since its a downgrade in every category but size.
urkel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad