Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:53 AM   #1
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Best iPad-exclusive apps?

Now it appears that many apps that we're iPad-exclusive in the past are now also available on the iPhone. Are there any apps now that flaunt the advantage of the ipad's bigger screen with iPad exclusive apps? I can only think of many newsstand subscriptions. Any more? Thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2
irDigital0l

Paper
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:36 AM   #3
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

I don't see why the need for resentment that previously iPad-exclusive apps are now available for iPhone. the fact that they were made for iPad first means that the apps are optimized for the larger screen, and then adjusted for smaller screens after the fact.
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:38 AM   #4
caspersoong
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMA dojo View Post
I don't see why the need for resentment that previously iPad-exclusive apps are now available for iPhone. the fact that they were made for iPad first means that the apps are optimized for the larger screen, and then adjusted for smaller screens after the fact.
Er sorry, I am not resenting this at all. I am just wondering whether other than newsstand, are there even a sizeable number of iPad-exclusive apps available? That actually make an iPad much more useful in its own category?

Last edited by caspersoong; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
caspersoong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
ANMA dojo
macrumors regular

you mean aside from the ipad section of the AppStore?
ANMA dojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:55 AM   #6
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Noteshelf
iAnnotate
SlideShark
TouchDraw
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
perpenso
macrumors newbie

Exclusive or actually redesigned for the iPad?

Quote:
Are there any apps now that flaunt the advantage of the ipad's bigger screen with iPad exclusive apps?
Exclusive or actually redesigned for the iPad? Speaking as a developer, in my non-game applications I do *not* simply scale the existing iPhone user interface up to the larger screen. I actually try to make new use of those additional pixels and this has led to some features only being available when running on an iPad. I may be biased but I think this would count as iPad exclusive.
perpenso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:33 AM   #8
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpenso View Post
...I do *not* simply scale the existing iPhone user interface up to the larger screen. I actually try to make new use of those additional pixels and this has led to some features only being available when running on an iPad. I may be biased but I think this would count as iPad exclusive.
What he said. If you don't have an iPhone, when you load a "universal" app on your iPad, you may not realize how different it as compared to running it on an iPhone. Being new to iPads, but having had an iPhone for over a year, I've been very pleasantly surprised by this.

You might be able to get some sense of this by looking at a universal app in the iTunes store on your computer (important); first looking in the iPhone section, then the iPad section.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Bear
macrumors G3

I've also seen many universal apps that have different layouts for the iPad vs the iPod/iPhone.

For some free apps that you can see the difference:
  • NBC
  • NPR Music
  • IMDb Movies & TV
  • BBC News
And remember holding an iPad horizontal versus vertically will make a difference in how the above apps present themselves.

Apps don't necessarily need to have an iPad specific version. They just need to have proper layouts for both iPods/iPhones and iPads.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Tags
free apps, ipad, newsstand