Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
zub3qin
macrumors 65816
 
zub3qin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
What can iPad 4 run that iPad mini can't?

I know the internals of the iPad 4 are so so much better than iPad mini, but forgetting specs, for the average user, what exactly can the iPad 4 do well (besides push retina images) that the iPad mini struggles with?

My hunch is running several tabs on safari, perhaps?
Or big spreadsheets?
3D gaming?
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:42 AM   #2
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Nothing.

More ram allows more stuff to fit in ram. But less ram is drawing from Flash memory quickly.

If anyone codes an app that requires a minimum of "retina" resolution (which makes just about no sense from a coder's point of view), that would be an app that would run on a "4" and not on a "mini".

Otherwise, it all runs on both, just a little faster on a "4". The "4" also delivers it at retina resolution and gives you a little more screen real estate for the content of the app. The mini gives you the smaller size, lighter weight, thinner feel, hold-in-one-hand benefits.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3
mikeray
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Send a message via AIM to mikeray
Actually they have identical screen real estate
mikeray is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:00 AM   #4
zub3qin
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
zub3qin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeray View Post
Actually they have identical screen real estate
I know- I am talking about the A5 vs A6X chip- not screen real-estate.
Are there apps that simply make the iPad mini grind to a halt or sluggish?
Or are running many tabs at once in Safari a problem due to the decreased mini RAM?
zub3qin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:03 AM   #5
mattopotamus
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
The things you listed are exactly where you would notice a difference. Larger games with a lot of on screen action will run much smoother on the 4.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
ditzy
macrumors 68000
 
ditzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
They may exist in the future, but the iPad 4 was only just released, and was not expected. While you don't hear this a lot on this forum, the iPad mini is actually the second fastest iPad ever released. At the moment it would not make sense for a programmer to design apps that would run poorly on all iPads other than the fourth generation.
__________________
15 inch retina MBP. 64GB iPhone 5s Gold, iPad mini 32GB Black and slate.
ditzy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
iHateMacs
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Coventry, UK
I noticed on a website that shows your browser capabilities, it says the screen is only 1024 x 768 on the ipad 4.

Is this the same as on the new retina Makbooks where you don't get access to the extra resolution for yourself?
__________________
iMac Late 2013 27" 3.5Ghz i7, 3TB Fusion, 16GB, GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

I actually love Macs
iHateMacs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
iEvolution
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
The answer is NOTHING right now...

However in a year from now the A5 will probably go the way of the A4, become too slow to run smoothly the latest apps.

The A6 is going to have a longer life line.
iEvolution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:01 PM   #9
nfl46
macrumors 601
 
nfl46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Funny because the games on the Mini run pretty smooth and look great. Its hard to tell its not a retina screen (its mainly the text that looks pixelated, but the pictures and games look pretty good).

Compared to my 3, I can run everything on my Mini. All of my games still run great.
__________________
| 16GB Moto X | 32GB HTC One M8 | 13" MacBook Pro |
nfl46 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Deasnutz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
You can look at images on the iPad 3/4, while I've heard the mini causes headaches.
Deasnutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:24 PM   #11
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
You can look at images on the iPad 3/4, while I've heard the mini causes headaches.
I've heard that too. Must be true. It's on the Internet.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
d123
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
You can look at images on the iPad 3/4, while I've heard the mini causes headaches.
I heard that even just glancing at a mini causes your eyes to bleed, actually reading on a mini can cause blindness .
d123 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #13
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasnutz View Post
You can look at images on the iPad 3/4, while I've heard the mini causes headaches.
I find this "myth" or "rumor" about the Mini causing headaches, one of the best jokes in recent weeks.

My opinion and perspective is coming from my first hand experience with my current tablets:

1) iPad mini
2) Nexus 7
3) iPad 2
4) iPad 3
5) iPad 4

Thus my point is simply that I've got good basis for comparison.

I will be the first to admit I'm not thrilled that Apple didn't at least give the Mini a display as nice as the Nexus 7, but headaches are certainly not a side effect of using a Mini... that you can be assured of.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:28 PM   #14
h00ligan
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
^^^^^ google the word sarcasm.


h00ligan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:43 PM   #15
zhenya
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateMacs View Post
I noticed on a website that shows your browser capabilities, it says the screen is only 1024 x 768 on the ipad 4.

Is this the same as on the new retina Makbooks where you don't get access to the extra resolution for yourself?
iOS measures screen size in points not pixels, so yes, all iPads are 1024*768 points. The retina models just render each point with 4 pixels rather than 1.
zhenya is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:48 PM   #16
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
I find this "myth" or "rumor" about the Mini causing headaches, one of the best jokes in recent weeks.
Because everyone has the same headache triggers as you am I right?

I get a headache when reading PDF documents with the mini, that is a FACT, not a myth or rumor.
__________________
rMBP (10.8), 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Hackintosh (10.7.4), 4.6 GHz i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, 3xHD7970, 2x240GB Vertex 3 RAID 0 SSD, 2x600GB Velociraptor 10KRPM, Drobo S 5x2TB, 2x HP LP3065 30-inch.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:04 PM   #17
bigboar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post
Because everyone has the same headache triggers as you am I right?

I get a headache when reading PDF documents with the mini, that is a FACT, not a myth or rumor.
I did also and that is why I returned it for the 4. It's a good thing there is a so called expert here that can set us straight though.. After all he owns 5 tablets! probably slept at a holiday inn last night too!
__________________
Thanks for viewing my Signature!
bigboar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:11 PM   #18
Gotoma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Some games doesn't run well on the mini. You can clearly see the lag in True Skate towards the end of this video.
Gotoma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:42 PM   #19
reputationZed
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 34°55′42″N 80°44′41″W (34.928201, -80.744835)
I get a headache when I use any of my iPads. Then again my home screen might be to blame. Bonus points if you can spot the dead pixel.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Frqgk...%3DFrqgkHO026w
__________________
But you and I, we’ve been through that,
And this is not our fate. - Dylan 1968
reputationZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:08 PM   #20
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
nothing....yet


in a period of 6 months to a year, we will see the true capability of the A6X when more advanced games come out that the A5 can't handle. by that point, the iPad mini 2 will be out either with the A6 or with a Retina screen and the A6X, and the 1st gen will be a thing of the past

----------

these headaches are prob just the early onset of aluminum poisoning from all of the iOS devices, and Macbook Pro unibodies that people have owned over the last 4 years lol
Medic311 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:16 PM   #21
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post
I get a headache when reading PDF documents with the mini, that is a FACT, not a myth or rumor.
I don't doubt that some types of documents could cause eye strain or headaches. Your point is well taken.

That said what I was responding to was the posts that claim it's the displays fault, with the complaint stated as "the iPad mini" gives me a headache cause the display is crappy. Or because it's not retina. In the same vein as once you go retina, you can't go back.

I find the display is just fine for the resolution it is. Oh sure it's not as fine as retina, but it's not supposed to be. However I do understand why people want retina, and it's Apple's responsibility for not offering it in everything new going forward. After all they set the precedent, then hyped it like it was a must have.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:28 PM   #22
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zub3qin View Post
I know the internals of the iPad 4 are so so much better than iPad mini, but forgetting specs, for the average user, what exactly can the iPad 4 do well (besides push retina images) that the iPad mini struggles with?

My hunch is running several tabs on safari, perhaps?
Or big spreadsheets?
3D gaming?
If you use it to read magazine it may be a problem coz the text (which is not rendered as text but graphics) will be tiny and fuzzy and cannot be enlarged. I think websites are fine if you don't care constantly zooming in and moving the canvas around. Most games should not be a problem unless there are a lot of 3D elements.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post
Because everyone has the same headache triggers as you am I right?

I get a headache when reading PDF documents with the mini, that is a FACT, not a myth or rumor.
I gave away my iPad 2 and bought the iPad 3 on the first day solely because I needed to read a lot of PDFs (I had an exam in June) and reading PDFs using GoodReader on a retina iPad is truly enjoyable. I very well understand how the experience is for reading PDFs on a non-retina iPad and that's the exact reason why I paid so much to get a maxed out iPad 3 on launch day.
__________________
rMBP'12 15" 2.3GHz, iPad Air 2 LTE 64GB, iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
iMac'08/24",Mini'09,MBP'10/15",MBA'11/13". iPhone 5s,5,4S,4,3GS. iPT: 3,1. iPad: Air,4,3,2,1,Mini2. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09,TC'13.
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:11 PM   #23
MacIke
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Frigid Wasteland of MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post
I get a headache when reading PDF documents with the mini, that is a FACT, not a myth or rumor.
I get headaches from PDF files.
__________________
-- Windows nice gaming machines... but I would not want to use one for real work. Viva la Macintosh
Check out my blog: Blogging With Ike
MacIke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:10 AM   #24
imacdaddy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I've owned iPad2 since day one and waiting for the iPad Mini with cellular as its replacement. Going to a smaller form factor for the weight reduction in mobility.

I don't have any issues with my iPad2 at all. I'm fine with the screen size, the non-retina display, its weight, speed and memory. Apart from browsing internet, I do a lot of reading, ebooks, epup and also PDFs. I also do a lot of PDF annotations and signing. I do some occasion gaming (racing and puzzles) and all are running fine without noticeable speed issues (latest racing game Asphalt 7 runs smooth). Some video watching from internet and also streaming from PLEX installed on my Mac Mini from my living room. All of these run perfectly fine on iPad2. I have many uses for my iPad2 and since iPad Mini has the same specs, I'm pretty sure I can do all of the above on a smaller form factor.

I welcome the new camera specs on the mini which is a huge upgrade IMO. Now FT should be a lot clearer for my parents and sister back home in Canada. The only thing I may miss is the normal iPad screen size for drawing and painting which I totally gave up doing on my iPhone 4s after a few attempts on a small screen. But it's not often I have time to draw or paint so not a big issue. Lets see.

I don't know why so many people are knocking on the mini due to the non-retina display or slower processor. Apple's reason to continue selling the iPad2 only means that its spec will be supported for a while. If surfing the internet, viewing videos, emails, photos and casual gaming is all you do, the current spec will last a long time. You only need a faster CPU and larger memory if the content significantly changes or whatever you are doing outpaces the tech.

BTW, I'm almost 40 and I had just spent some time during lunch reading an entire 60 page MSA in PDF on my colleague's iPad mini (received this morning) does not give me headaches. LOL
__________________
1991 Macintosh IIsi (retired); 2006 20" iMac G5 w/ iSight (retired) | Early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8GHz Octo | 2010 Mac Mini server | Mid 2011 15" Macbook Pro
imacdaddy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:00 AM   #25
8a22a
macrumors 6502a
 
8a22a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by d123 View Post
I heard that even just glancing at a mini causes your eyes to bleed, actually reading on a mini can cause blindness .
LOL eek, I better consult my optician before using my mini any further.
__________________
iPhone 6 Silver 64GB iPad Air 2 TV 3
8a22a is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 06:44 PM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 08:52 AM
Anyone install IOS7 Beta3 on an Ipad Mini? How does it run compared to Beta2? Lcluvinlife iOS 7 8 Jul 8, 2013 11:28 PM
iPad Mini Confirmed to Run 32-Nanometer A5 Chip from Samsung MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 86 Nov 2, 2012 12:52 PM
Trouble deciding: iPad mini vs iPad 2 vs Retina iPad? Do NOT get an iPad 2. ThatsMeRight iPad 27 Oct 28, 2012 03:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC