Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Bote
macrumors regular

Looking for help disabling startup items

I am quite savy with MS Windows PCs, but have thankfully switched recently to Mac in my personal life. I have been trying to learn as much as possible but I am a bit stumped about startup items. I have a Mac Mini that I recently upgraded to 1gb of ram and i am running OS X Tiger 10.4.1

When I go to apple\about this mac\more info\Startup items it list things that I don't think I really need starting at startup: Apache web server, Remote desktop, etc. Do I need these items and if not how do you remove? I went to System Preferences\Accounts\my user name\then login items but most of those items are not present. Can anyone help me with this?
Bote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:12 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Welcome to Macs.

Yeah, you need those items.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:24 PM   #3
Bote
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad jew
Welcome to Macs.

Yeah, you need those items.

Thanks I am enjoying every minute of it.

Ok cool. Good thing that I did not fiddle with it any further.
Thanks for your assistance.
Bote is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 09:25 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

No problem.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:03 PM   #5
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bote
I am quite savy with MS Windows PCs, but have thankfully switched recently to Mac in my personal life. I have been trying to learn as much as possible but I am a bit stumped about startup items. I have a Mac Mini that I recently upgraded to 1gb of ram and i am running OS X Tiger 10.4.1

When I go to apple\about this mac\more info\Startup items it list things that I don't think I really need starting at startup: Apache web server, Remote desktop, etc. Do I need these items and if not how do you remove? I went to System Preferences\Accounts\my user name\then login items but most of those items are not present. Can anyone help me with this?
Sorry to return this thread from the dead but some of those things you can turn off in sharing pane of system Prefrences if you don't need them. Apache is personal Web Sharing.
trainguy77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X