Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:57 AM   #1
alphaod
macrumors Core

Late 2009 iMac vs Mid 2012 Mac mini

I have the iMac; I don't use it, it's for guests. However it's very slow, and I think it's because I need to upgrade to an SSD.

Currently it's running the Core i5-750 4c @ 2.66GHz; it doesn't have HyperThreading or Turbo Boost. Has 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB HDD. The GPU is the ATi Radeon 4850 512MB.

I'm thinking of switching it to the new Mac mini because the mini is smaller and runs cooler (and uses less power). I would be getting the higher end non-server model. Probably also replace the existing HDD with a SSD and upgrade to 8GB of RAM. I already have a Thunderbolt Display, along with keyboard and mice, so I don't need anything else. The higher end Mac mini has a Core i7 4c @ 2.3GHz and has all the latests stuff. I don't need an optical drive.

If I get the Mac mini, I would sell the iMac. Which ever one I get or keep, I will upgrade to an SSD.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:26 PM   #2
leighonigar
macrumors 6502a

The iMac really shouldn't be 'very slow'. What's going on there? How does it seem slow? What's it used for?

File corruption and bad RAM could cause stuttering slowness I suppose. It might be worth checking the disk/permissions and running memtest just to rule those things out.

I'm assuming you're running Mountain Lion?
leighonigar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Yanwoo
macrumors member

Yeah that description of your iMac being very slow seems a bit odd. I have that same iMac (albeit with 12gb ram) and it generally runs pretty well (on mountain lion).

I am finding it a *bit* slow when I have a whole bunch of stuff running and that's why I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the new mac minis too.

I'm planning to use the iMac as the screen for the mac mini whilst using the 'back end' for server type duties.
Yanwoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
alphaod
macrumors Core

The reason I said it probably needs an SSD upgrade is because that's what I think the issue is. All my other computers have SSDs now, so spending 10x the time to boot up, open an app, makes the computer feel slow.

I've system tests, and everything is fine.

I figured, spend a bit to get an SSD would make it feel like new, but I'm a bit weary about ripping apart the iMac.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice