Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:37 AM   #26
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

No thanks i like the 4 inch screen as it is.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:11 AM   #27
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Iphone 5 is a great piece of technology and holds a size which is comfortable.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:28 AM   #28
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Love the iP5, size wise and every wise. The only thing that could use upgrading is the OS, widgets should at least be an option...
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:33 AM   #29
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

Next iPhone's display will be bigger. Period. They'll sell more. Big displays have proven to sell just fine. People want to do more by seeing more.
BENJMNS is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:51 AM   #30
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespii View Post
There are plenty of cases where it's way more convenient to use a cell phone one handed. Airports are a prime example - luggage is in one hand, phone in the other checking flight information, rental car phone number/location, hotel map, all sorts of stuff. Siri can't find that information for you at all.

That being said, I do think a 4.3-4.5" phone would strike a nice compromise between relatively easy one-handed use and a more usable screen. With apple it's usually "our way or the highway", but unless apple wants a repeat of the 80s and 90s, they'll need to bring out some different form factors to compete.
Actually you can use Siri to launch apps and I'm fairly certain that you can search for flight info using wolfram. Also I'm of the mind that if I'm going to be searching for information in my phone I'm putting anything I'm carrying down. I'm certainly not going to stand there trying to find information for 5 minutes while holding my luggage. Screw that

I just think that there's a point at which using your phone one handed is just impractical.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:03 AM   #31
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

I don't understand this obsession with a bigger screen. I think the iPhone is good as it is on the 5. If you want a bigger screen, that's what the iPad is for
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:47 AM   #32
IsaacM
macrumors member

I have an iPad for that.

iPhone 5 screen is perfect size. I think they wont change the size for atleast half a decade.
IsaacM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:58 AM   #33
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Personally, I think that 3.5" is still the perfect size and that's why I've held on to my 4s rather than upgrading (the 5 will be the first iPhone I haven't bought).

I could probably put up with the 4" screen as it is now if it's the only option available when my 4s reaches the end of its useful life, but I definitely would not want anything wider (I have tried wider phones such as the SGS 2, but found them a complete pain to use)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:21 AM   #34
moargolems
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
I would hate to have a bigger screen than the 5.
Would you hate it if Apple released a bigger screen phone than 5?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:24 AM   #35
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

The people saying they want a bigger screen will be the same people saying "they're trying to be like android now"
The screen is perfectly fine, what kind of browsing are you doing on the move????
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:27 AM   #36
ryan.apham
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciconnect View Post
Wider is the way to go, truth to this is found in Reviews regarding the new iPad mini. The iPad mini has been said to have a perfect size screen when viewing content and playing Multitouch games. It has a better screen resolution as compared to it competitor. The iPad 3 and 4 have gorgeous Retina displays. Why not produce iPhone 5S with the same screen dimension as the iPad so we can enjoy our digital media we've purchased from Apple to have that same comfort level we get from the iPad?
Fixed for you. My sense of sarcasm is tingling .
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:21 AM   #37
kaellar
macrumors 6502

The only two questions I have are:
1. am I the only one thinking topicstarter has no clue of what he wants?
2. am I the only one thinking topicstarter doesn't even own an iPhone?

p.s. the OP blew my brain to small pieces
kaellar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:43 AM   #38
Sesshy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaellar View Post
The only two questions I have are:
1. am I the only one thinking topicstarter has no clue of what he wants?
2. am I the only one thinking topicstarter doesn't even own an iPhone?

p.s. the OP blew my brain to small pieces
I don't think OP has any idea what's going on about anything. Half of his rant was about how all the modern video content is 16x9, and how the iPads, which are not 16x9, are perfect for playing said 16x9 content while the iPhone 5, which is 16x9, is inadequate and needs to be made "wider" to accommodate the content which is already of the same aspect ratio as its screen.

Most of what he said applies to the 4S. It's as if he has no idea that the iPhone 5 even exists.
Sesshy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:03 AM   #39
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Another thread hitting on the same subject matter.
Attached Images

bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:14 AM   #40
syd430

I'm convinced that if the everyday consumer designed a phone it would also have a USB port, a tiny fan mechanism that pops out on of the side to keep you cool in the summer, and Braun shaver a the top for those times you need a quick shave.

OP, i don't want a bigger iPhone because I want to be able to reach the top right hand corner of the screen when I'm holding the phone with one hand. making it even slightly wider will loose my ability to do that. I'm sure that didn't cross your mind though.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:16 AM   #41
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Apple's next iPhone needs to make my hands larger.
bwhli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:26 AM   #42
donrsd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespii View Post
I will preface this by saying that I've owned every iPhone since the 3gs, and currently am a very happy iPhone 5 user.

Apple will release an iphone w/ a screen larger than 4". my guess is that there will eventually be two or more iphone sizes to choose from. Maybe have a 3.7-4" size around, but add a 4.3-4.5" display too. Apple can get away with providing a one-size-fits-all iPhone right now, but with the acceleration and growth of android and their bright super-sized displays, iPhones become a harder sell when most smartphone these days involves lots of web browsing and media consumption - it's just easier and more comfortable on a larger display. The key is that android has made some huge improvements over the last few years, and it's only going to get smoother and more robust. When you add to that the huge cost differential (see: Nexus 4), options and choices in screen sizes and form factors, apple's iPhone will lose some of its luster.

I think the apple brand is beginning to lose a little bit of its cachet - after all - seems like everyone and their mother has an iPhone already. They still have their ecosystem of great apps going for them, but that won't last forever. Apple isn't stupid - there was market pressure for smaller, lighter, and cheaper tablets, hence now we have the iPad mini. If Apple wants to stay competitive with Android down the road, they need to release an iPhone with a larger screen. The question is not if, it's when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
I've never understood the obsession with using a smartphone one handed. Sure there are moments when one of your hands is occupied but even then if you're on the run what besides a quick text or return a phone call will you be doing? Not to mention that SIRI should allow you to use your iPhone one handed to your hearts content. Anything that you would normally do one handed you should easily be able to accomplish using SIRI. If not now then in the future making the one handed use argument irrelevant.

I really like my iPhone 5 but the screen size is awkward and lacking IMO. I also believe that eventually Apple will release a larger screen. Like an earlier poster said I think they will have to to continue competing with Android and even possibly Microsoft in the future.
4-5"-4.8" screen = the way to go.

You guys with 'small hands'.....I feel for you lol

World has changed. Wo still types a text/email with ONE HAND?
I know i use BOTH of my thumbs.

If the iPhone 5 is still designed for "1 hand use", why do I need 1 hand to hold the iPhone then another hand to pinch/zoom or even flick thru pictures

Just make sure to keep the 16:9 ratio.

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:45 PM   #43
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

This thread has solved everyones question. Will Apple make a screen larger than 4 inches? Its clear now that the answer is a big NO. Through this thread and many other threads is it easy to see that ~30% want it larger and ~70% like the 4 inch screen or want it smaller. Therefore Apple imo will never (at least not until 80%+ want a bigger screen) increase the screen size as it would benefit the minority. I believe the responses in this thread have shown that at 4 inches Apple is pleasing the majority. If you guys are hoping for them to increase the screen size in two years (I6), don't hold your hopes up. I personally think 4 inches is perfect and is the largest you can go with using it with one thumb.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:59 PM   #44
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhli View Post
Apple's next iPhone needs to make my hands larger.
Err?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	376965  
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:59 PM   #45
bushman4
macrumors 65816

This is really a personal preference issue depending on what you use your Iphone for. There's also compromise..... so for those that want the larger screen always remember the great ecosystem and bells and whistles that the Iphone5 gives you.
bushman4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:13 AM   #46
BigTroll
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Err?
Omg it's bulk and skull go go power rangers!!
BigTroll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:27 AM   #47
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
This thread has solved everyones question. Will Apple make a screen larger than 4 inches? Its clear now that the answer is a big NO. Through this thread and many other threads is it easy to see that ~30% want it larger and ~70% like the 4 inch screen or want it smaller. Therefore Apple imo will never (at least not until 80%+ want a bigger screen) increase the screen size as it would benefit the minority. I believe the responses in this thread have shown that at 4 inches Apple is pleasing the majority. If you guys are hoping for them to increase the screen size in two years (I6), don't hold your hopes up. I personally think 4 inches is perfect and is the largest you can go with using it with one thumb.
Interesting.

Where are you getting your % split figures from ?
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:29 AM   #48
eyespii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Interesting.

Where are you getting your % split figures from ?
80% from his ass, the other 20% from his dog.
eyespii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:36 AM   #49
MiXoLoGiSt
macrumors newbie

Honestly I think apple should have went wider with the display but that's just me. I have found I really like the look and feel of 4.7" and 4.8" screens found on some android devices. The fact they only went taller makes it kind of awkward looking and feels weird. Hell I even like the 5.5" screen on the galaxy note 2 but at that point you can kiss one handed operation goodbye.

With all that said it isn't the screen size making apple lose its edge, it is the software. iOS hasn't really changed much since 2007 and it is boring to many long time iPhone users now. They need to do something with iOS to keep their long time users (like myself) interested.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:39 AM   #50
Booji
macrumors regular

I've been a big fan of the small size, but I think there a lot of people that are moving from iPhone to larger phones like SIII. If Apple does not move to a larger size option, it could find itself hopelessly out of date as more and more complex use is moving to mobile like travel and shopping. I think a larger screen will show up by next year.
Booji is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone