Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:49 AM   #51
Vitrum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
Please stop saying that they NEED it. I love the 4'' and hate the larger screens but I can still use them though.
When 4.3 comes to iphone you will love it too and hate the other "larger" screens
Vitrum is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:00 AM   #52
SporkLover
macrumors 6502

Lol. I remember when this forum was boiling over with opinions of the 3.5 inch iPhone screen never changing.

That being said, I'm not a man of large proportions especially in my hands... I owned several android 4.3 devices and as able to comfortably work the phone one handed when I needed/wanted to (checking notifications, composing texts, composing emails, face booking, twitter, and making phone calls). I didn't find very many thing that required two hands or a modified grip.

While my thumb couldn't cover every square inch of my screen, I really didn't find any if at all functions that I couldn't operate the phone one handed.
SporkLover is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:02 AM   #53
Vitrum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Lol. I remember when this forum was boiling over with opinions of the 3.5 inch iPhone screen never changing.

That being said, I'm not a man of large proportions especially in my hands... I owned several android 4.3 devices and as able to comfortably work the phone one handed when I needed/wanted to (checking notifications, composing texts, composing emails, face booking, twitter, and making phone calls). I didn't find very many thing that required two hands or a modified grip.

While my thumb couldn't cover every square inch of my screen, I really didn't find any if at all functions that I couldn't operate the phone one handed.
Example of a real gent.
Vitrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:05 AM   #54
Az*
macrumors newbie

Screen Brightness

My iphone 4s is working fine apart from the screen. Does anyone know how to increase the brightness of the screen without actually being bale to see anything? Please help!
Az* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:07 AM   #55
MiXoLoGiSt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
I've been a big fan of the small size, but I think there a lot of people that are moving from iPhone to larger phones like SIII. If Apple does not move to a larger size option, it could find itself hopelessly out of date as more and more complex use is moving to mobile like travel and shopping. I think a larger screen will show up by next year.
I wouldn't count on a bigger screen for the better part of 2 more years if not longer. It has become quite apparent apple is scared of change since Steve Jobs died. Their phones and operating system have had nothing but minuscule upgrades and nothing revolutionary. Scott Forstall was one of the few people left at apple that was willing to take risks (although he took the wrong risk with maps), with him gone I truly believe apple is going to become quite a stagnant company who will be playing catch up to other devices on the market. Of course I could be wrong but I see it happening already!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:09 AM   #56
evorc
macrumors 6502

That's my initial thoughts until it landed on my hand. The current size is perfect, no need to widen and cause discomfort.
evorc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:13 AM   #57
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitrum View Post
When 4.3 comes to iphone you will love it too and hate the other "larger" screens
No. I would still hate it no matter what but I could live with it since my hands are pretty big. I can ALMOST hold my iPad 3rd gen with one hand but it's 1 cm too large.
Nevzorus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:23 AM   #58
Vitrum
Banned

Quote:
No. I would still hate it no matter what but I could live with it since my hands are pretty big. I can ALMOST hold my iPad 3rd gen with one hand but it's 1 cm too large.
Not sure how someone will live with something they hate
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:29 AM   #59
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
Interesting.

Where are you getting your % split figures from ?
From this thread and many others, its just an approximation.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:13 AM   #60
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Are you just trying to ''troll'' me?
Nevzorus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:29 AM   #61
Vitrum
Banned

Quote:
Are you just trying to ''troll'' me?
OMG do you even know the meaning of "trolling" ? Or is that the only thing you can say when you choke ?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:35 AM   #62
HowardSmith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
No it doesn't. Apple made it taller but the same width for a reason and that's how it should remain. If you want something wider then go switch to a Samsung Galaxy SIII
Apple made it taller because they HAD to. People were screaming about the iPhone's tiny screen and they thought longer was the only acceptable compromise for it's fans. Apple people were freaking out over even thinking about Apple increasing the screen size and yet after only a few months the refer to their 4s as a "stubby brick".

Yep, wider would be better, just taller was . . well it is just taller. I use a S3 and you will be shocked at how easy it is to navigate with one hand. That is if you get over the mental thing and just try!
HowardSmith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:11 AM   #63
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
OMG do you even know the meaning of "trolling" ? Or is that the only thing you can say when you choke ?
''Troll in Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[5] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted.''

Get out of here.
Nevzorus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:20 AM   #64
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

I'll take a wider/bigger screen, but that would mean changing the resolution, and I seriously doubt they're gonna wanna do that to their developers again.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:09 AM   #65
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Not married I see.
Megalobyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:15 AM   #66
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502

I really like my iPhone 5 and think that the screen is perfect. I dont think it needs to get any bigger, its still a phone 1st and foremost. In all honesty they could have kept it 3.5 and i would have been happy. I have an iPad and an iMac for larger screens.
iHailCarlo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:30 AM   #67
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitewisdom View Post
Nonsense. I take it you've never actually tried. It's hardly as you describe.

I love my iPhone 5, but I can't say I haven't been tempted by those gorgeous Samsung screens. I think the norm for screen sizes will fall somewhere around 4.5" in the next few years.
Samsung makes good phones. I still can't get pass the OS and the droid eco-system.
KdParker is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:33 AM   #68
MikeyMike01
macrumors 6502

I will be livid if Apple makes the iPhone's screen bigger than the 5. The 5 is perfect.
Apple TV (3rd Gen)
MikeyMike01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #69
eyespii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
I'll take a wider/bigger screen, but that would mean changing the resolution, and I seriously doubt they're gonna wanna do that to their developers again.
Don't see why devs updating their apps would be a problem. Inconvenient yeah, but They could run letterboxed until they do update, just like when the 5 came out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHailCarlo View Post
I really like my iPhone 5 and think that the screen is perfect. I dont think it needs to get any bigger, its still a phone 1st and foremost. In all honesty they could have kept it 3.5 and i would have been happy. I have an iPad and an iMac for larger screens.
The thing is that lots of people use their smartphones for doing things other than making calls. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of people bought smartphones so they could do things besides make calls. I know I make calls pretty infrequently on my iPhone, don't know about the rest of you. So the argument that "it's a phone so it should be small anyway" doesn't hold much water these days. The phone is just another app on the device really.

I have an iPad and a Mac too, but I don't carry those with me wherever i go. My iPhone is with me all the time. If it had a larger screen, the use cases for carrying around an additional device becomes harder to justify. The best device is the one that you'll always have on you.
eyespii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:44 AM   #70
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyespii View Post
Don't see why devs updating their apps would be a problem. Inconvenient yeah, but They could run letterboxed until they do update, just like when the 5 came out.
More horizontal pixels would be dramatically more difficult to code for, and I'm quite sure they're reluctant to keep foisting new expectations on their developers.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:49 AM   #71
eyespii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
More horizontal pixels would be dramatically more difficult to code for, and I'm quite sure they're reluctant to keep foisting new expectations on their developers.
I'm in no way a dev, so I can't comment on the difficulty of coding for more horizontal pixels. But in this world of ever changing tech, adapt or die, right? If I was a dev, and apple told me to update my cash cow app for their new larger device that was again expected to sell in the tens of millions, you bet I'd hate doing the extra work, but gotta do what you gotta do.

Apple throws out the old as quick as anyone, and expects people to adapt all the time. Lightning connector is just one example, I'm sure there are others.
eyespii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:56 AM   #72
3rd Rock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I will be livid if Apple makes the iPhone's screen bigger than the 5. The 5 is perfect.
"Ditto" MikeyMike. Apple will not go wider, and no to some that think Apple is playing catch up. They are a company that takes their time with their product, proven by many years of doing same.
3rd Rock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:03 PM   #73
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

The 5 isn't perfect, that's the problem with it. The 4's were perfect for their time. The S3 is too big but guess what? A lot of people love that size. Apple needs to go bigger and come out with a mini. It's the recipe for success right now and for the next 5 years. Stock would have doubled and split if they did, instead it's tanking like a sack of bricks. Wake up. You might like the 5, I love it - but it's not the right move to continue dominating this segment.
BenTrovato is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:18 PM   #74
eyespii
macrumors 6502

Samsung sold 18M galaxy s3 phones last quarter. If I was in charge of apple, I'd be crazy to not want a piece of that market. If a buyer wants a phone with a larger screen, they have no choice but to go android. Personally I think the GS3 is too big as well, but clearly millions of other people don't.
eyespii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:23 PM   #75
madmaxmedia
macrumors 68030

Send a message via Yahoo to madmaxmedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciconnect View Post
After using one of the competition's wide screen phone, I found myself using it more then my iPhone. Though it wasn't as good of a user experience as my iPhone, the wider viewing display grabbed my attention. Viewing video content on their wider phones, sadly is much better in my opinion. The reason, the content that display at an 16x9 ratio.

Wider is the way to go, truth to this is found in Reviews regarding the new iPad mini. The iPad mini has been said to have a perfect size screen when viewing content and playing Multitouch games. It has a better screen resolution as compared to it competitor. The iPad 3 and 4 have gorgeous Retina displays. Why not have a wider iPhone that's both thin and wider so we can enjoy our digital media we've purchased from Apple to have that same comfort level we get from the iPad?

Having a display to be available at a resolution that's at a 16x9 Ratio is better regarding content. I love the iPhone, we need to finally go wider on the iPhone. Content viewing is being effected by the screen size on such a magnificent device. If Apple posted up a vote regarding their content displayed on their iOS devices, I'm sure people would agree that the resolution found on the iPad and iPad mini are much superior when viewing Apple's video content then from what you get from both the iPhone and iPod Touch. Not because they are smaller, it's the width of the screen then the mire size.

Apple's video content is around about an 16x9 ratio as like most if not all of the content found on iTunes and the Apps store. I've found myself wanting an iPad mini as a substitute to my iphone. Wider viewing is best for Apple's video content, working documents and game play. I would surely be happier with a wider screen phone then to travel with both devices to be able to enjoy my media.
This post is totally baffling, in particular the bolded parts.

1. He likes the wider displays from other phones to view 16:9 content. But the iPhone 5 is 16:9.
2. He really likes the iPad, and says it's superior for viewing Apple's 16:9 video content. But the iPad is 4:3, even the older iPhones have a 1:1.5 aspect ratio.
madmaxmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone