Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:00 PM   #26
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
Or you could look at it another way - 21 million that could have been spent upgrading Mac Pro or fixing Final Cut Pro X, but they chose to spend it on a fancy clock instead.
Yeah, because throwing money at a problem creates better software instantly..

I am sure the groups responsible for those 2 things are quite heavily funded
iRCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:00 PM   #27
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Apple is always very fair about paying up when they steal IP from other companies.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:02 PM   #28
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

So Apple paid 21 Million for a flippin' clock and only paid 2.5 million to help Hurricane Sandy victims?

What a load of BS...shows how much Apple cares.
Tucom is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:08 PM   #29
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom View Post
So Apple paid 21 Million for a flippin' clock and only paid 2.5 million to help Hurricane Sandy victims?

What a load of BS...shows how much Apple cares.
Oh please, what a stupid statement. I hope you have donated every cent you earn that doesn't go directly to something that you absolutely cannot live without.

I suppose Apple should also buy a house for every homeless person in the country. They can technically afford it, so why don't they?
admanimal is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:09 PM   #30
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
Wait... that clock design is a copyrighted 'design'? It looks like the most generic interpretation of the 'clock concept' I've ever seen.
There was a time that this clock was the only one like it.
Iconoclysm is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:11 PM   #31
b11051973
macrumors regular

What a waste of money. I guess Apple needs to do something with their billions in the bank.
b11051973 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:12 PM   #32
Howard Ellacott
macrumors member

This is one of the few parts of iOS where I reckon skeuomorphism actually looks good!
Howard Ellacott is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:12 PM   #33
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
Wait... that clock design is a copyrighted 'design'? It looks like the most generic interpretation of the 'clock concept' I've ever seen.
It works both ways. You could argue the same about all tablets having a black border.
rmwebs is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:13 PM   #34
antic
macrumors member

Puts things into perspective.
Sandy relief 2.5 million $
Clock face. 21 million $
antic is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:13 PM   #35
jaw04005
macrumors 601

It sounds a little fishy. I expect we will see additional articles this week disputing this 21 million dollar figure.
jaw04005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:14 PM   #36
wesk702
macrumors 65816

So Apple is not fine with licensing a perfectly functional Google Maps, but is ok with licensing a Swiss clock for 21 M?

Apple's really got their priorities straightened out. I love iOS 6, I really do, this statement just explains iOS 6 in a nutshell.
/sarcasm if anybody didn't catch it.
wesk702 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:14 PM   #37
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Apple is always very fair about paying up when they steal IP from other companies.
and so is everyone else, when they get caught...the same applies to every large company - Apple is no exception.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:15 PM   #38
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

Pricey icon.
DTphonehome is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:15 PM   #39
Mak47
macrumors 6502a

This can't be accurate. If it were, Apple would have the right to use it everywhere and they're only using it for iPads. Apple has very talented designers on staff, why pay $21m for something that could be easily replaced with a new, still perfectly adequate design?
Mak47 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:16 PM   #40
Tucom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
Oh please, what a stupid statement. I hope you have donated every cent you earn that doesn't go directly to something that you absolutely cannot live without.

I suppose Apple should also buy a house for every homeless person in the country. They can technically afford it, so why don't they?
Oh please, what dumb logic and rebuttle; just look at the damn facts, why the hell would Apple waste that much money on a damn clock vs. helping victims? It shows they could have donated alot more, and care more about a damn clock than helping victims.

So please, quit trying to defend something that just makes you look, well, not so great.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by antic View Post
Puts things into perspective.
Sandy relief 2.5 million $
Clock face. 21 million $
This ^
Tucom is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:17 PM   #41
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticlineage View Post
Wow, thats incredible!

Remember that the consumer will be the one picking up the tab at the end.
It will be consumers (those travelling with the Swiss railway) who get the benefit at the end.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:19 PM   #42
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post

Because the could get taxed on that. So it's a big no no.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:19 PM   #43
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I wonder if that was yet another thing that led to Forstall's departure.
If he was responsible for that, then it surely didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesk702 View Post
So Apple is not fine with licensing a perfectly functional Google Maps, but is ok with licensing a Swiss clock for 21 M?
No, they are not. Using that image without licensing in place was utter stupidity by some clueless employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1984user View Post
A friend of mine has the Mondaine wrist watch and I really enjoy the design, but it's completely superfluous in a UI setting. It seems ridiculous to me (if true), that Apple is willing to part with $21 million for a clock design ...
Apple isn't paying $21 million for the design. They are paying $21 million for using a design without permission and having to avoid a lawsuit. If some designer at Apple had said to his boss "the Swiss railway has this beautiful design for a clock, I bet we can license it for a million or two", his boss would have asked him what drugs he is on and told him to create his own design, without copying anybody. Unfortunately for Apple, that designer didn't ask his boss.

Last edited by gnasher729; Nov 11, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
gnasher729 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #44
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Switzerland is intimately connected with the major European cults... Perhaps the clock's symbolism was important to Apple, and it had nothing to do with aesthetics.
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:23 PM   #45
baryon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
Or you could look at it another way - 21 million that could have been spent upgrading Mac Pro or fixing Final Cut Pro X, but they chose to spend it on a fancy clock instead.
Not to mention all of those silly lawsuits, those cost even more than this tiny little settlement.

But I don't think Apple needs more money in order to fix their products, they just need to want to do it, and then "just do it", that's all…
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:25 PM   #46
Rockoar
macrumors regular

I guess it make sense: with all the money Apple is saving by no paying it fair share of taxes (not only in the US) they can spend 20 -and even more- money on tribal things like this. Hooray!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:25 PM   #47
AndyR
macrumors 6502a

Sorry but that is ****** ridiculas!!

21 million on a clock!! 2.5 million on Sandy! And there are people starving in the world
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:25 PM   #48
macs4nw
macrumors 68000

Let me get this straight: APPLE has paid 21 million to the Swiss Federal Railways for their iconic clock design, and none of that money may be going to MONDAINE, who is the "sole consumer-focused licensee of the design" and who, despite being reportedly 'happy' about the increased visibility, are NOW, in "discussions" with the SFR. I smell legal complications. Hope this isn't going to be like PROVIEW and the Chinese all over again.

Last edited by macs4nw; Nov 11, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
macs4nw is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:26 PM   #49
RVdave
macrumors member

Oh, my! Now I feel guilty that I only look at the digital time at the top of the screen......or ask Siri.
RVdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:27 PM   #50
johncrab
macrumors 6502

That amount is ridiculous and I don't believe it for a moment. I would have changed the design to show a Swiss guy getting shot at high noon before paying out that much cash in an extortion basis.
johncrab is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion