Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:02 PM   #101
Marcus-k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertyz View Post
Showing people that they respect to patents is more valuable than $21 million for Apple in this case.

Once again, a nice move from Apple.
But apparently they have no respect for stealing since they did that in the first place and didn't pay untill they were caught.
Marcus-k is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:04 PM   #102
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Wow that's almost as wasteful as farcebook buying instagram for $1billion. Wtf is it with these tech companies pissing away money like that? Is this another dot com bubble about to burst?
Fruit Cake is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:07 PM   #103
OLDCODGER
macrumors 6502

Fighting the case in court would be such a waste of time!
OLDCODGER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:07 PM   #104
GoodWatch
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertyz View Post
Showing people that they respect to patents is more valuable than $21 million for Apple in this case.

Once again, a nice move from Apple.
The move would even be nicer if Apple settled up front. Apple doesn't play nice any more, they've become 'The Man'.
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go
GoodWatch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:11 PM   #105
miamialley
macrumors 68020

If true, horribly stupid.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:13 PM   #106
damir00
macrumors 6502a

Well that was an expensive mistake.
damir00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:16 PM   #107
timborama
macrumors member

Huge ***** ***** waste. it doesn't even look good.
timborama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:18 PM   #108
Tom Sawyer
macrumors 6502a

Good buy, it was worth at least 22!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:20 PM   #109
Ferry13
macrumors newbie

What it really means...

...Apple isn't paying this kind of money for a clock app. Obviously, they want to use the design for something else as well. My bet: they're still working on a nano watch.
Ferry13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:24 PM   #110
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferry13 View Post
...Apple isn't paying this kind of money for a clock app. Obviously, they want to use the design for something else as well. My bet: they're still working on a nano watch.
Retrospective haggling doesn't make for the strongest bargaining position. That 21 Mil is for that clockface.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:25 PM   #111
MarcelEdward
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
Oh please, what a stupid statement. I hope you have donated every cent you earn that doesn't go directly to something that you absolutely cannot live without.

I suppose Apple should also buy a house for every homeless person in the country. They can technically afford it, so why don't they?
You mean that one big company has the technical afford solution to solve the homeless problem and there still are homeless people in the US ?
MarcelEdward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:28 PM   #112
BuckusToothnail
Banned

Okay looking clock but definitely not worth $20 million.

I'm fine with skeuomorphism mostly but a clock like that? I can't image they couldn't do a design in-house that looked just as good or better.

How many graphic designers can you hire for $20 million?

This isn't a design or feature that was so special that people would be buying more Macs or IOS products because of the clock. I think most people wound't even notice this design.
BuckusToothnail is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:30 PM   #113
roadbloc
macrumors 604

$21 million on a clock. Wow.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:33 PM   #114
yearofthe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom View Post
So Apple paid 21 Million for a flippin' clock and only paid 2.5 million to help Hurricane Sandy victims?

What a load of BS...shows how much Apple cares.
Apple had to pay $21M for clock design after they were called out for using it without licensing as far as I understand.
yearofthe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:41 PM   #115
index1489
macrumors member

There probably paying for a penalty for using the clock with out permission all that time, if they came to the door wanting to use the clock in the first place it would be 1/10 that cost.
index1489 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:47 PM   #116
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
Apple had to pay $21M for clock design after they were called out for using it without licensing as far as I understand.
This is what I think. At a time when Apple are pointing the finger at everyone else, I guess they had no option but to pay-up for such blatant copyright theft. Mondaine undoubtedly saw that and absolutely took Apple to the cleaners.

And good on 'em.
tekno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:54 PM   #117
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfistas View Post
Meanwhile in Africa...

...thousands of women and children are being slaughtered in idiotic intertribal wars.
inscrewtable is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:59 PM   #118
kalsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
I wonder if that was yet another thing that led to Forstall's departure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
Again a useless and this time very expensive use of skeuomorphism...Apple will need to sell some iPads to refinance that Forstall decision....
Scott Forstall, the new Emmanuel Goldstein of the Apple rumours community.

Anyway, I agree that Apple made a cock-up by running with that design, and I suppose the buck has to stop with someone. 21 million is too much for the licensing of an iPad clock-face design, but let's look on the bright side… I'd rather see the money go to one country's public transport system than some patent vultures like Lodsys.
kalsta is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:00 PM   #119
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

I hope the Swiss clock shows up on the iPhone. Not sure why they didn't incorporate it into the iPhone already for consistency.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:02 PM   #120
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

Crazy if true.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:05 PM   #121
slimbek
macrumors regular

For $21 million, they could at least make it worthwhile and have the clock icon actually tell the time.
slimbek is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:17 PM   #122
cheesymogul
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuba View Post
Sure, NOW the clock face is generic, but it's from 1944. Look at all other clock faces from the 1940's and you'll know why this one is an exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art. It has influenced every other clock face you've seen. Apple made the mistake of ripping the original.
This clock face design is about as iconic and copy-protected as any Omega Speedmaster or Rolex Oyster. And Apple wouldn't have copied these either without facing legal consequences.
Swiss Railway is by the way a large Apple customer. Their management staff is equipped with iPhones and iPads. Had Apple asked politely, they probably would have gotten a license in exchange for a few pallets of iPhones and iPads...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:20 PM   #123
jmcrutch
macrumors regular

to those saying "why didn't Apple just change the clock design (or use the iPhone's design) and not pay the 21mm" ... you have to realize that once the infringement had occurred, it wouldn't suffice to simply just stop infringing. Millions of iPads had the clock on it and Apple can't force an update to remove the clock (users have to agree to upgrade iOS versions). So, whether by intention or mistake, Apple infringed and they realized it. The 21mm is the value of the infringement to the Swiss Railway. Story over.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:29 PM   #124
nba1341
macrumors regular

damn not that that means anything to Apple but that company made out!
nba1341 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:37 PM   #125
richardw
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucom View Post
Oh please, what dumb logic and rebuttle; just look at the damn facts, why the hell would Apple waste that much money on a damn clock vs. helping victims?
Because licensing the clock design they ripped off is their problem. Helping natural disaster victims is not, even if it might be nice to help them out.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion