Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

What determines what shows in photo stream?

I'm starting to use this feature and really liking it. But I have a question. How come some of my pics are in camera roll but not in photo stream? What causes this and how do I move things to the photos stream if its not there?

Thanks
bhigh8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Photostream only uploads via wifi (without a hack). It will also only upload pics you have taken since you have had photostream going. In other words, if you activated photostream today, and you have 309 pics on your camera roll from before today, those 309 pics will not become part of photo stream automatically.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Okay. Can I move pics from camera roll to photostream? And how?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:46 PM   #4
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I am almost certain that you cannot, from your phone. You can add stuff to photostream using your Mac or PC though.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

apparently if you're on wifi it automatically uploads to photo stream
so all those naughty pics you took will now be seen by everyone who has access to photostream. And it's not only when you take pictures on wifi, any existing camera shots that you took will be uploaded when you connect to wifi. So pretty much your whole camera roll is on the internet for people to see. This is why I don't like these cloud services
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:06 PM   #6
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

What? I guess I don't get that part. Aren't the only picks that are seen the ones I check and send to those I pick?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Nand
macrumors regular

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2606

iCloud: Add photos to Photo Stream manually
You can manually add photos from iPhoto, Aperture, or the Windows desktop to your photo stream. You may want to do this if you’d like to add photos that don’t appear in your photo stream automatically.

Note: On a Mac, you can manually add photos even if you selected Automatic Upload (when you set up Photo Stream in iPhoto or Aperture).
From iPhoto or Aperture
Open iPhoto or Aperture (whichever application you set up to work with Photo Stream).

Drag one or more photos from your library (Events, Photos, Places, or Faces) to your Photo Stream; the photos you drag are uploaded to iCloud and added to your photo stream.

If you have iPhoto 9.4, you need to select photos, then choose Share > Photo Stream.

From your Windows desktop
From your Windows desktop, drag any photo to the Photo Stream Uploads folder you chose in the iCloud Control Panel.

Note: Photos in Photo Stream appear in the order they were originally taken, not in the order they were added to Photo Stream. If you manually add photos, they appear throughout Photo Stream in the appropriate date order.
For a list of file types that can be added to Photo Stream, read “What photo formats does Photo Stream support” in the Photo Stream FAQ on the iCloud Support website. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486
Nand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:20 PM   #8
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
apparently if you're on wifi it automatically uploads to photo stream
so all those naughty pics you took will now be seen by everyone who has access to photostream. And it's not only when you take pictures on wifi, any existing camera shots that you took will be uploaded when you connect to wifi. So pretty much your whole camera roll is on the internet for people to see. This is why I don't like these cloud services
Why the whole Internet have access to my pics.?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
docal97
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigh8 View Post
I believe only those people who you specifically give access to your photo stream will have access. Unless, of course, someone were to use your user name and PW to log into your icloud account, which would be unlikely of course.

I hope this helps.....
docal97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:32 PM   #10
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
not the whole internet but everyone you give access to, so think twice before taking any raunchy pics.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:52 PM   #11
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
not the whole internet but everyone you give access to, so think twice before taking any raunchy pics.
Thanks. You do need to be careful cause I did take a pic and then deleted it but it stayed in my photostream. So you do have to be careful.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thanks. You do need to be careful cause I did take a pic and then deleted it but it stayed in my photostream. So you do have to be careful.
you CAN delete it from photostream. On iPhone just go to photos, press the photostream tab and delete it like a normal photo.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:01 PM   #13
sviato
macrumors 68000

I hate how when Apple demonstrated photo stream the image when directly to the Mac after taking it on an iPhone, mine seems to take a while
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

For some reason, even when my device is connected to wifi, it still won't add a few of my latest pictures to photostream.

So to get it to my other device, I was forced to share a separate photostream with the pictures I want to transfer, use my other device and save the new pictures to camera roll, then delete the shared photostream. A bit long-winded, but it works.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:19 PM   #15
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
So pretty much your whole camera roll is on the internet for people to see. This is why I don't like these cloud services
Just like G-Mail. It really sucks how the whole internet can read all my e-mail. What were they thinking!?

Oh, wait. Actually they can't, because I didn't give my password out to everyone. You should try that sometime. It's a really handy trick for keeping your stuff private.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Just like G-Mail. It really sucks how the whole internet can read all my e-mail. What were they thinking!?

Oh, wait. Actually they can't, because I didn't give my password out to everyone. You should try that sometime. It's a really handy trick for keeping your stuff private.
Tell that to the Ex-CIA director. Actually, it's too late now -.-
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:36 PM   #17
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Nothing is private, remember that.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:51 PM   #18
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
I created multiple Photostreams for friends and family. My (default) photostream stays private. I don't take raunchy pics because Photostream is also the screensaver on my Apple TV.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:01 PM   #19
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
I created multiple Photostreams for friends and family. My (default) photostream stays private. I don't take raunchy pics because Photostream is also the screensaver on my Apple TV.
well I'm glad I don't have any other Apple products because of my womanizing ways I would be in some deep **** lol. Glad I don't even know how to view my photostream for somewhere other than the photos app.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:16 PM   #20
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Nothing is private, remember that.
Exactly the point. Not sure why you're so afraid of cloud services, then. After all, it's exactly as private as anything else.
Small White Car is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:21 PM   #21
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Exactly the point. Not sure why you're so afraid of cloud services, then. After all, it's exactly as private as anything else.
well on my device I can control who views it, when it's uploaded to the internet that's when I no longer have control of it, I'd rather know if I take a pic of something that I'm the only one who can see it than if someone hacks into my iCloud or something (highly unlikely but not impossible)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:24 PM   #22
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
well on my device I can control who views it, when it's uploaded to the internet that's when I no longer have control of it, I'd rather know if I take a pic of something that I'm the only one who can see it than if someone hacks into my iCloud or something (highly unlikely but not impossible)
You seem to be giving up on "nothing is private" pretty quickly.

I agreed with you but now you apparently don't agree with yourself anymore. Remember, nothing is private.

I'd wager that more iPhones are stolen every day than iCloud accounts are hacked. Numbers-wise that doesn't put you at a 100% safety level either.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:30 PM   #23
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
You seem to be giving up on "nothing is private" pretty quickly.

I agreed with you but now you apparently don't agree with yourself anymore. Remember, nothing is private.

I'd wager that more iPhones are stolen every day than iCloud accounts are hacked. Numbers-wise that doesn't put you at a 100% safety level either.
when you take a photo and leave it on the device only you pretty much decide who sees it and doesn't see it, when it's on the internet it is fair game as determined by the law. So yes nothing is private on the internet. I doubt the thiefs first thought is to look at your photos.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:44 PM   #24
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
I doubt the thiefs first thought is to look at your photos.
Got it. Guys who steal phones aren't after photos but guys who hack iCloud servers are. I'm glad they all worked out such easy to understand plans and let us know about them.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:55 AM   #25
DJTaurus
macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to upload photos at photostream that were taken before i set photostream on?.... i need a workaround if possible throught iPhone not through pc/mac->icloud.com

Last edited by DJTaurus; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
DJTaurus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone