Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
In Safari I do Command-N then Command-L and start typing a URL into the address bar. Depending on the length of what I'm typing, the address bar will lose focus during the process; I must type another Command-L to get the focus back to the address bar.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Where is the focus going -- is there some preference I can use to keep the focus in the address bar?

I'm running Safari 6.0.2 on OS X 10.8.2. TIA.

Reactions: arabesc

browerjs

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I'm having the exact same issue and it drives me crazy... Anyone have a workaround?

Markius

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2015
Is this immediately after you open a new tab? Because any scripting on the page could be sending the focus to an element on the page automatically. It's most likely the code on the page. The browser isn't going to throw the focus of the cursor randomly to an element without being "told" to.

There should be an option to prevent this from happening at the BROWSER level. If cursor is-in-address-bar then when address-bar-loses-focus return focus to address bar, cursor goes to end of text already entered so you don't overwrite what you've already typed. This would solve a /lot/ of frustration and allow users who enjoy the focus going right to whatever textbook on whatever page automatically to operate in the way that they prefer, as well as allow us users who prefer the cursor staying put so that we can finish typing whatever we want without constant interruption by the browser itself. I don't know if this is implemented already or not; it would have to be done at the browser level.

Someone may have possibly made an Haddon like they have with Firefox to deal with this issue, but whenever I look up the issue in whatever search engine, there doesn't seem to be any legitimate ways to correct the issue or workaround it or what-have-you in Safari.

arabesc

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I have the same issue. My default page points to Google. I do Cmd+T to open new tab then Cmd+L and start typing URL but at some moment the input focus jumps from the address bar to the Google search field, I have to press Cmd+L again to return focus to the address bar. It's really annoying. Firefox doesn't have such an issue.
I've just updated to the latest Safari version (10.0) and it still has this issue :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.