Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Interesting situation here.

I moved into this certain apartment (where I'm at now) located a few blocks away from my university. (UCLA)

I first checked out this place on August 21st, 2012; where the owner of this particular apartment (but not the complex), showed me around and I signed the lease the next day. The guy who "owns" this apartment lives in Africa running his business and leases it out to 4 college students during the regular school year.

I moved in on the 1st of September, where my roommate was never around. Classes began on the 17th of September so figured he would surely return by then. Days progressed and he showed up one time, only to pick up some weed and then left. Since, we've never seen him.

This is somewhat of a problem because for the month of September, his portion of the rent was paid with the deposit he originally submitted to the apartment complex...but when October came around he was not to be found. Aside, we have to assume he dropped outta school or something happened, considering he's never picked up or returned a phone call from any of us here at the apartment.

When October rolled by, the 3 remaining people (which includes myself) paid for his portion of the rent and October came and went without any communication from him, though we've still tried calling.

Then when this month of November came by we realized he was probably not gonna come back, so we found another roommate; to the agreement of the owner of the Apartment who is currently in Africa; who he too has not been able to reach this ghost of a roommate.

We found a new roommate for November and here we are. The problem(s) are that this guy who has been missing for months on end still has all his belongings here. From guitars, violins, a beautiful flatscreen TV and an amazing bike, just to mention a few things, not including clothes and everything else you would expect.

The current concern is that the new guy that has moved into the apartment to replace him, wants to seriously get rid of this guys stuff, including furniture so he can make way for his stuff, since he is living here and paying for it.

As an aside, the all of us here are admittedly eyeing his stuff and wanting to keep some of it. It's not everyday you come across a nice flat screen and bike..

yet, he doesn't answer his phones and it's been months.

If I was writing this thread back in mid September then this would be a different situation, but we're in mid November already and something needs to be done. To make way and etc. etc.

Any advice? I can't help but wonder what the legality of all this is?

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
So your landlord owns the apartment (not the building)? What's your agreement with him? Do you each have individual agreements (I.e. you each pay him $250 per month), or do you have a "group" agreement (I.e you pay him $1000 per month as a group)?

In any case, I'd push things to him, as your landlord. Tell him to get the other guys stuff out of the unit. It's not your stuff, and selling stuff that doesn't belong to you and that you have no legal right to can get you in a mess of trouble.

Clint

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Buy a storage unit and put his stuff in there so the new guy can move in. Call the guy and text him or send him a letter that his stuff is available to be picked up and he has three months to claim it. If he doesn't respond or try to contact you, the stuff is yours. Just keep recordings and copies of emails/texts/letters.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
So your landlord owns the apartment (not the building)? What's your agreement with him? Do you each have individual agreements (I.e. you each pay him $250 per month), or do you have a "group" agreement (I.e you pay him $1000 per month as a group)?

In any case, I'd push things to him, as your landlord. Tell him to get the other guys stuff out of the unit. It's not your stuff, and selling stuff that doesn't belong to you and that you have no legal right to can get you in a mess of trouble.

Clint

The landlord/super works for the building, but the apartment within the building i;m staying in is under a lease by a guy living in Africa, an alum from this school.

I just shot him an email explaining the situation. Before he's consent we do nothing. I also just called the guy thats been missing and his telephone is now shut off...

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
First I wouldn't just take his stuff. You don't know what happened to him. Could be he disappeared on his own and then maybe not. I would have to assume the school would have contact information for his family. Have them try to get in touch with his family and find out what they might want to do with it. If its some kind of tragedy I'm sure his parents would probably want his stuff, all of it.

Until you try that you haven't done everything possible to get in touch with him or his family. You should also find out what the law is regarding this in the state you're in. Don't leave anything to chance.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Buy a storage unit and put his stuff in there so the new guy can move in. Call the guy and text him or send him a letter that his stuff is available to be picked up and he has three months to claim it. If he doesn't respond or try to contact you, the stuff is yours. Just keep recordings and copies of emails/texts/letters.

There are no recordings, no text, nothing. Only missed calls and voicemails we've been leaving him. We thought about moving his stuff into a unit but that costs money and considering we've not heard a peep from him fear we'd never get the money back.

----------

First I wouldn't just take his stuff. You don't know what happened to him. Could be he disappeared on his own and then maybe not. I would have to assume the school would have contact information for his family. Have them try to get in touch with his family and find out what they might want to do with it. If its some kind of tragedy I'm sure his parents would probably want his stuff, all of it.

Until you try that you haven't done everything possible to get in touch with him or his family. You should also find out what the law is regarding this in the state you're in. Don't leave anything to chance.

Not one person has visited him or anything, and he's lived in this apartment for two years. and then one day just disappeared. Nothing is being taken, just wanting to be claimed. His flat screen is in my bedroom so i turn it on nightly to watch the new, that's all... but he does have a nice bike which I would love to have... but still, nothing is happening, its just sitting here and figured i'd ask the question. :)

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
There are no recordings, no text, nothing. Only missed calls and voicemails we've been leaving him. We thought about moving his stuff into a unit but that costs money and considering we've not heard a peep from him fear we'd never get the money back.

Has anyone contacted LAPD? Might be a good idea. IMHO

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Has anyone contacted LAPD? Might be a good idea. IMHO

The ppl living here, including myself met the guy for 10 minutes. He was in and out. We don't know him at all, but the guy in Africa does. So hopefully he'll tell me what to do, but as of right now this guy has been missing for months... and not once has anyone come to this place, where he lived for two years asking questions.

Personally, I think he dropped out of school and just went his own way. Perhaps moved far away, but it seems odd considering all the stuff he's has here...from DJ equipment, vinyls, laptops, printers, etc. etc.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
He is probably from Dateline and the second you take his stuff Chris Hanson will walk in with a camera crew and tell you to have a seat over there.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

----------

Not one person has visited him or anything, and he's lived in this apartment for two years. and then one day just disappeared. Nothing is being taken, just wanting to be claimed. His flat screen is in my bedroom so i turn it on nightly to watch the new, that's all... but he does have a nice bike which I would love to have... but still, nothing is happening, its just sitting here and figured i'd ask the question. :)

I hear you but I think his parents should be notified of the situation. Just because no one has visited doesn't mean he that there isn't a family somewhere that cares about him.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I hear you but I think his parents should be notified of the situation. Just because no one has visited doesn't mean he that there isn't a family somewhere that cares about him.

True, but none of us here has any information about him. Absolutely nothing. Only the guy who has the lease in this apartment currently in Africa has any info on the guy... if he has personal info at all.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
True, but none of us here has any information about him. Absolutely nothing. Only the guy who has the lease in this apartment currently in Africa has any info on the guy... if he has personal info at all.
So you signed a lease with a person that you know nothing about?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
So you signed a lease with a person that you know nothing about?

It's kinda the lay of the land with students needing to find a place to live. Admittedly, I signed the lease immediately because of the low price and the fact that its a pretty sweet penthouse a block away from campus.

Personally I feel like I lucked out, as do my roommates.. but this mysterious old roommate having been missing is taking its toll on the new 4th roommate that wants this guy's stuff outta here.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It's kinda the lay of the land with students needing to find a place to live. Admittedly, I signed the lease immediately because of the low price and the fact that its a pretty sweet penthouse a block away from campus.

Personally I feel like I lucked out, as do my roommates.. but this mysterious old roommate having been missing is taking its toll on the new 4th roommate that wants this guy's stuff outta here.
Why do you need a "pretty sweet penthouse" if you are a college student.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
You may not have any info but I'm sure the school does. I personally would be more concerned that nothing bad happened to him and I think the school and authorities would want to look into it that too. If the school can contact the family I think they should be the ones to decide what happens with all his stuff.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

Right?!

But it is awesome. We've thrown parties and all, amazing views on the balcony.. but that's beside the point here. :rolleyes:

----------

You may not have any info but I'm sure the school does. I personally would be more concerned that nothing bad happened to him and I think the school and authorities would want to look into it that too. If the school can contact the family I think they should be the ones to decide what happens with all his stuff.

Yeah, my end game isn't to keep his stuff... but if the situation allows for it, to make space for the 4th roommate and myself, considering it is cluttered in here with this previous guy's stuff. If we got all his stuff outta here we would gain an incredible/impressive amount of space in here..

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Right?!

But it is awesome. We've thrown parties and all, amazing views on the balcony.. but that's beside the point here. :rolleyes:

----------

Yeah, my end game isn't to keep his stuff... but if the situation allows for it, to make space for the 4th roommate and myself, considering it is cluttered in here with this previous guy's stuff. If we got all his stuff outta here we would gain an incredible/impressive amount of space in here..
So get a storage unit and put all his stuff in it, problem solved.

Then find out if you can get his name off the lease.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

Off topic.

If the price is right, who cares? He said it was cheap (relatively speaking, I'm sure).

---

You can't just assume possession of his stuff. You need the landlord to take the point on this situation - whether that's calling the LAPD or having some third party take and store the possessions.

The university is probably going to be a dead end. There's federal privacy laws for students, so I doubt they'd give you squat for information.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
But you can afford an over priced penthouse?

It's not an overpriced penthouse, especially with 4 of us here. I'm paying less than what I was last year. Why are you beating me up on this?

----------

Off topic.

If the price is right, who cares? He said it was cheap (relatively speaking, I'm sure).

---

You can't just assume possession of his stuff. You need the landlord to take the point on this situation - whether that's calling the LAPD or having some third party take and store the possessions.

The university is probably going to be a dead end. There's federal privacy laws for students, so I doubt they'd give you squat for information.

I think i'm gonna wait to see what the lease holder of this place says, including with providing us with contact info of the missing guy and go from there before anything is done.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It's not an overpriced penthouse, especially with 4 of us here. I'm paying less than what I was last year. Why are you beating me up on this?

----------

I think i'm gonna wait to see what the lease holder of this place says, including with providing us with contact info of the missing guy and go from there before anything is done.
I am getting on your because your thread says you want to steal your missing roommates stuff that you have no idea who he is or where he is.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
So get a storage unit and put all his stuff in it, problem solved.

Then find out if you can get his name off the lease.

Exactly this.

I understand that may not be your end game but from your replies it make it seem like your looking for the right answer that allows you guys to split up his stuff. I'm giving you the befit of a doubt but, I'll repeat myself one more time. The school will have information on his family. They will know how to get in contact with them. Once they do I'm sure you'll hear rather quickly regarding their wishes.

In the meantime put all his things in storage to make room for the new guy.

----------

Off topic.

---

You're right they won't give him any information but if he explains the situation I'm sure the school will want to contact the family themselves. Especially if they are due any tuition.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
We won't get the money back. We won't. As college students we don't have the extra cash to put some guy's stuff in storage and pay a recurring fee.

As an earlier poster said, send him an e-mail or leave a voicemail saying that he has 3 months to pay up - if in 3 months you don't hear from him you sell the stuff, which will surely cover the cost of the storage and more.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
As an earlier poster said, send him an e-mail or leave a voicemail saying that he has 3 months to pay up - if in 3 months you don't hear from him you sell the stuff, which will surely cover the cost of the storage and more.

His name is already off the lease. The only thing here of his are his things. I'm confident the school won't release any info. As we've all signed extensive documents asking if we even want our names mentioned within a UCLA search database.

As for the storage unit idea... it's too much hassle and effort. Hundreds of pounds worth of books, clothing etc. We don't have time to handle this especially during the middle of the quarter. I would much rather leave his stuff as is, but if I speak with both the landlord/owner of this complex and the leaser holder of this apartment, i'll make sure to cover my ass by having them sign papers saying at their discretion that we can throw or keep this guy's stuff. Perhaps because i'm living here within this guy's stuff that I feel it's his fault for not having dealt with this before hand, or at the very least communicating with us that he would be somewhere out and about for months on end.

Differently however, if something did happen to him then obviously all of these items will and should go to his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.