Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Would it be safe to stand the 2012 iMac Weight: 12.5 pounds (5.68 kg) on to of an apple superdrive?

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
The superdrive will definitely break if you place the iMac on top of it. I would advise placing it above the base or on the side of it, if anything.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
absolutely do not do that. not only will it probably damage the superdrive but not a steady surface for the imac to be sitting on.
i'd goto some place like ikea get a cheap yet sturdy stand for your imac.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
cant some make a dvd drive the same shape as the iMAc stand

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
dont like the look of it

I agree that the high rise is ugly. In fact I'd call it the ugliest thing twelve south has ever made.

However I recommend you check out the backpack 2. I think it's the best looking and most discreet way to house a the SuperDrive with an iMac as you can literally place it right below the chin. I don't want to embed the image here because its massive but check the links below. Second link is the image.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/

http://www.twelvesouth.com/static/assets/products/productgalleryimage/image/backpack2_superdrive_gallerymain.jpg

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I hope someone brings out a dvd drive that an iMac can stand on.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Why don't you just put it on top of the foot of the stand rather than under it?

Not even sure why I didn't even think of that. I have my center speaker resting on the base myself.

Best advice in this thread yet lol.

smoge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Or just stick it in your desk drawer and bring it out when you need it. About once a month I reckon I'll use it.

Its just i play allot of game and need to have the disk in when you're playing the game and don't really what to buy all the digital versions of my games again.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Its just i play allot of game and need to have the disk in when you're playing the game and don't really what to buy all the digital versions of my games again.

With the prices that classic digital games go for during sales, I think it's inevitable. If you have the patience, digital titles can be had for dirt cheap if you can wait for frequent sales.

Just picked up the Command & Comquer Ultimate Edition for a mere $25 during today's Black Friday sale. That includes 17 games, which comes out to just $1.47 a game. and I still believe that the title will drop even lower later. Also picked up the Ultimate Mortal Kombat Kollection for a funny $2.99 at Amazon, as well Crazy Taxi for iOS for the same price (which is also available digitally for Windows at less than that).

Unless you have a huge extensive library of catalogue titles on discs, it may just be more financially sound to rebuy the titles rather than purchase the SuperDrive for $80. Of course, you could always find a cheaper drive alternative other than Apple. And then again, you could always sell back your physical copies. Lots of hardcore collectors lurking eBay out there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.