Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
So I'm selling my 4s this evening. I have done the erase content and setting like 5 times. I have filled the whole phone with movies I own from iTunes to write over any personal info. I am going to remove the sim. I will erase the phone one last time. Am I forgetting to do anything. I'm leaving it on 5.1.1 in case they want to jail break it though it isn't jail broken. Is that a bad plan? Do I need to do anything else?

apparition47

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Why would you need to erase it 5 times? Flash storage isn't like a traditional HDD.

You're done. Just leave the iOS version as is and sell it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Just a little nervous. Hate for anyone to get any info...

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Erase all content & settings should be all that you need to do. If you're that worried, you can open up your apps like Contacts, Mail, Calenders or Settings to double check if there's any personal information lingering around, & delete them if necessary. The most important one would be the Apple ID in the App Store, make sure there're no traces of that.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

Your information isn't recoverable unless the phone is given to a government agency/security company.

Face it, you are not that important. No one want or needs your information. Don't worry about it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
1. Settings > Messages > Turn off iMessage
2. Settings >General >Reset >Erase all Content & Settings
3. Remove SIM card
4. Sell your phone
5. Relax

Crap... I didn't turn off iMessage but I kept my sim... Is that bad?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
No... But I don't want him to see what I text anyway. Will this make a difference??

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Can anyone weigh in on whether it not not switching off iMessage will be problematic?

Yes I've read reports here of people being able to see new imessages because they didn't sign out of imessage so I'd recommend you sign out of imessage.

Also there are apps that secure overwrite free space. I can recommend ishredder pro.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Strange that that wouldn't be done when resetting all settings.... Too bad.. It's too late... He has the phone now. :(

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Strange that that wouldn't be done when resetting all settings.... Too bad.. It's too late... He has the phone now. :(

As someone posted, you are probably fine. Unless the person is serious about computer forensics they will most likely just go on with their day.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Can anyone weigh in on whether it not not switching off iMessage will be problematic?

Happened to my wife old iPhone 4S. Got water damaged wouldn't turn on. So obviously warranty voided. Sold it for $230 water damage.

1 month later. She gets text from apple that her old 4s imessage was just "activated" under some guy named Jason's iPhone.

I immediately iMessage my wife old iPhone 4S cause iMessage wasn't turned off. And guy responded he didn't know what was going on.

He than said he would turn off iMessage and do a restore.

No other problems since than.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I sold a 4S a few nights ago on Craigslist and forgot to wipe my phone. I have bought and sold about 15 iPhones on Craigslist so this was just a brain fart on my end.

The guy texted me about an hour later and I had to give him my password to unlock the phone. I was in the process of doing this while we were meeting but I got distracted by something else and we parted ways without me doing it. I told him to make sure he reset and erased the device. He was shipping it to a relative overseas to use.

I went ahead and immediately changed my email password and my Twitter password. He seemed like an honest guy so I wasn't too worried about it.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I don't want to add to the paranoia but....

I just recently changed my old 3gs for an i5. Erased the 3gs and gave it to my GF. Turns out, when she installed the FB app it automatically logged to my account.

Never hurts to change twitter and FB passwords once in a while lol.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I don't want to add to the paranoia but....

I just recently changed my old 3gs for an i5. Erased the 3gs and gave it to my GF. Turns out, when she installed the FB app it automatically logged to my account.

Never hurts to change twitter and FB passwords once in a while lol.

Lol the OP erased his phone 5 times already, already well over the limit. If he still get this kind of issue, either he's really unlucky or Apple's screwing with him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.