Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Need a new hard drive. I am running Tiger and the Tiger install DVD.

What kind of hard drive so I need and the cheapest place to buy? Probably hard to find an outdated hard drive like this in stores. I am not worried about storage: Cheapest, low storage for the G4.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Drive

It's a normal IDE drive. Not Mac specific, not scsi. Just the same as in older pc's. do not buy a sata drive that's in the g5's and newer.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago

What kind of hard drive so I need and the cheapest place to buy? Probably hard to find an outdated hard drive like this in stores. I am not worried about storage: Cheapest, low storage for the G4.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

You want a 3.5" IDE/PATA drive. You can still find IDE/PATA drives in some stores. IDE/PATA are the same thing, they were called IDE drives at first and over time started to be known as PATA, so some stores call them one or the other but they are the exact same thing. You're in California, Fry's should have some in stock if you're looking to pick one up in person. Otherwise Newegg, Microcenter, and others online have IDE drives online.

Microcenter has some crazy low prices if you're OK with a refurbished drive, starting as low as $8.99...

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294945772+4294963477+4294943164&NTX=&NTT=&NTK=all&sortby=pricelow

Newegg has 80 GB Western Digital and Seagate refurbs for $19.99, but the new ide drives are close to $100...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3442&IsNodeId=1&name=IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6

Last edited:

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Head on over to the Marketplace Forum and post a Want to Buy ad. I am willing to bet there are a number of people on the forum with IDE drives just sitting in a closet they would be willing to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.