Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt y cable??

I'm considering getting the Mac mini as an upgrade to my MacBook Air. One problem I'm having however is that I need more then one thunderbolt port... I have a 2010 Cinema Display that I would use with the mini but I would like to still have access to the thunderbolt port. Is there anything on the market that would allow this? Y cables? Thunderbolt hubs? Anything? Most of the hubs I have found are vaporware and expensive! It would be nice if there was something out there under $50 for what I want to do! Does anyone know of anything or have any other ideas? Could I connect the display through hdmi? Any advice would be appreciated!
Zackmd1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackmd1 View Post
I'm considering getting the Mac mini as an upgrade to my MacBook Air. One problem I'm having however is that I need more then one thunderbolt port... I have a 2010 Cinema Display that I would use with the mini but I would like to still have access to the thunderbolt port. Is there anything on the market that would allow this? Y cables? Thunderbolt hubs? Anything? Most of the hubs I have found are vaporware and expensive! It would be nice if there was something out there under $50 for what I want to do! Does anyone know of anything or have any other ideas? Could I connect the display through hdmi? Any advice would be appreciated!
I'd suggest just selling your old display and buying a thunderbolt display. I've heard using these hubs are a pain and as you stated, very expensive.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502

I really don't want to go through the hassle and I'm still going to eat about $150+. Right now I'm considering this only as a last resort... Thanks for the advice though!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I really don't want to go through the hassle and I'm still going to eat about $150+. Right now I'm considering this only as a last resort... Thanks for the advice though!
What display do you have, 27" Cinema Display?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Why can't you just daisy chain? That's the whole point of thunderbolt.... Granted that makes it more difficult to pull a drive and take it with you.....
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502

I have a Cinema Display not Thunderbolt Display because I currently have a 2010 MacBook Air which doesn't have thunderbolt port and thereby can't use a Thunderbolt Display. I actually received a Thunderbolt Display as a gift from my parents and had to return it and exchange for a Cinema Display to use it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
What display do you have, 27" Cinema Display?
Yes that's exactly what I have.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:44 PM   #7
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I have a Cinema Display not Thunderbolt Display because I currently have a 2010 MacBook Air which doesn't have thunderbolt port and thereby can't use a Thunderbolt Display. I actually received a Thunderbolt Display as a gift from my parents and had to return it and exchange for a Cinema Display to use it.

----------

Why not just buy an iMac?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Why not just buy an iMac?
Thats on the table to. I'm a college student so money is a little tight. If i can get away with spending $700 vs $1300 then I'm going to do it.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:32 PM   #9
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thats on the table to. I'm a college student so money is a little tight. If i can get away with spending $700 vs $1300 then I'm going to do it.
Sell your apple cinema display ($700 maybe a little less) + $700 = just enough for a 21.5" iMac ($1299). New one comes out this month.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sell your apple cinema display ($700 maybe a little less) + $700 = just enough for a 21.5" iMac ($1299). New one comes out this month.
I guess that could be an option. Didn't think about that. Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:50 PM   #11
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I guess that could be an option. Didn't think about that. Thanks!
Definitely would be the easier option. Glad I could help.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:54 PM   #12
hobbbz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

The MBA with Mini DisplayPort can use Thunderbolt. That's the reason it's the same exact shape as MDP.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:56 PM   #13
calvol
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbbz View Post
The MBA with Mini DisplayPort can use Thunderbolt. That's the reason it's the same exact shape as MDP.
No, not true, TB-Display needs a TB-source, will not work with a 2010 MBA with DisplayPort.
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:57 PM   #14
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
no, not true, tb-display needs a tb-source, will not work with a 2010 mba with displayport.
+1
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:50 AM   #15
domhoenig
macrumors member

why not daisy chain? have the monitor at the end of the thunderbolt chain and it will work! mini display port is the same connector so will work in a daisy chained scenario!
domhoenig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:52 AM   #16
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhoenig View Post
why not daisy chain? have the monitor at the end of the thunderbolt chain and it will work! mini display port is the same connector so will work in a daisy chained scenario!
reread the thread
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:40 AM   #17
domhoenig
macrumors member

Quote:
reread the thread
i still fail to see why he can't daisy chain...

mac mini > thunderbolt item > thunderbolt Item > 23" cinema display through dvi to mini displayport adapter.

where's the problem?
domhoenig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:45 AM   #18
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhoenig View Post
i still fail to see why he can't daisy chain...

mac mini > thunderbolt item > thunderbolt Item > 23" cinema display through dvi to mini displayport adapter.

where's the problem?
The OP did not state that he wanted two displays, He wants to use his to 27" cinema display with a Mac Mini but needs access to an additional thunderbolt port, likely for some other peripheral accessory. He is asking whether there so thunderbolt splitter or hub device that can allow this and is priced modestly.

Get it yet?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini