Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Google Chrome, when the back gesture on the Apple Magic Mouse is initiated, will complete the movement to the previous page, but will return to the top of the page (on many occasions) rather than returning to the position where the link was clicked (expected behavior).

The arrow at the top does this action correctly.
The "delete/backspace" key does this correctly.
The magic mouse gesture does not.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Google Chrome, when the back gesture on the Apple Magic Mouse is initiated, will complete the movement to the previous page, but will return to the top of the page (on many occasions) rather than returning to the position where the link was clicked (expected behavior).

The arrow at the top does this action correctly.
The "delete/backspace" key does this correctly.
The magic mouse gesture does not.

Safari is a much better choice. They're both using WebKit, Chrome is such a 2nd class citizen though..

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Safari is a much better choice. They're both using WebKit, Chrome is such a 2nd class citizen though..

- I like the way my bookmarks work
- I like my extensions

samcolson4

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Chrome is a faster, smoother browser. And using it between iPhone/iPad and a Mac I have to say the cloud syncing is much smoother than Safari's.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
thread: Scumbag google chrome

What a lovely title. Both informative and tasteful.

Delightful!:rolleyes:

Can't speak for Chrome as I am quite happy with Safari, but can concur with Mr Ring's accessment of Google. Just the other day I was hopelessly lost in the godforsaken North West Bible Belt and Google Maps on iOS was totally scumbag useless.

Luckily Apple Maps worked perfectly in guiding this lost soul through the spatial and spiritual darkness.

Scumbag-Google-logo.jpeg

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Guys the point isn't what browser is better

The point is spreading the word on this annoying-as-**** bug so maybe it will get fixed

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

I just tried it (one finger swipe to go back) on several pages and it works fine for me.

What version of Chrome are you using?

----------

Both are using webkit yet Chrome has better support for HTML/CSS standards.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I just tried it (one finger swipe to go back) on several pages and it works fine for me.

What version of Chrome are you using?

----------

Both are using webkit yet Chrome has better support for HTML/CSS standards.

Latest version of chrome. It does work some of the time. But I noticed this in particular with webpages like reddit and certain forums. And it seems once it starts going to the top, the rest of the attempts in that session will do the same.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Latest version of chrome. It does work some of the time. But I noticed this in particular with webpages like reddit and certain forums. And it seems once it starts going to the top, the rest of the attempts in that session will do the same.

I see, I tried a couple of links on reddit and it worked fine. I am on the beta channel using the latest version. You could try it on an incognito window (which disables all the extensions, unless you have allowed them on incognito) to see if this issue is related to any extension you may have installed.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I see, I tried a couple of links on reddit and it worked fine. I am on the beta channel using the latest version. You could try it on an incognito window (which disables all the extensions, unless you have allowed them on incognito) to see if this issue is related to any extension you may have installed.

I have extensions enabled for incognito; but I did create a new chrome user and I did notice the problem

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I have extensions enabled for incognito; but I did create a new chrome user and I did notice the problem

Well it seems like an issue, I wonder if other Chrome users here could confirm?

In any case, you could try and report this via Help -> Report an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.