Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbkhockey83

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
We have a "video guy" for our high school hockey team and since I'm the only one with a mac that knows a bit about iMovie my coach wants me to import the files off the camera (Sony cx160) in iMovie, then export it, and upload it to his website so everyone on the team can watch. For the first game, I didn't know this so I imported the files to iMovie, combined them in the timeline, then "shared to iDVD" and made a DVD. It worked pretty well only about 3.5 hours. But now I find out he wants the movie exported... I go to share>>share with quicktime>>and do VGA quality (1080 or 720 would take WAY to long). Then I found out it's going to take 5 hours to export.... so I decided to leave it on over night. If I'm doing this once or twice a week will it really wear my computer down? Is there a faster way to do this that I'm missing?

Since the camera only has a stop button every single play is a different file. We discussed buying a new camera that has a pause button so it would be one file right when I plugged the camera into my computer. I think that'd be a waste of money, especially since the camera would be a $150 camera compared to the $450 one were using now.

Thanks

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think.....

you have to clock very well how much time your computer goes exporting the video. Normal use of a computer will be, in my opinion, an office schedule. So, any more or above that can be labelled extra. I dont think your computer will be wear down for the ocassional use you said, albeit lenghtly. Concern for me will arise if you writes/read too much in the hard drive for lenghtly periods of time

Check very well power supply and ventilation if you let your computer overnight working

:):apple:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Concern for me will arise if you writes/read too much in the hard drive for lenghtly periods of time
For that reason, it's recommended that you use an external drive for video work, thereby saving wear and tear on your boot drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.