Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6daniels

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I've had my iPhone 5 in a Griffin reveal case since the minute I got it, but today I saw these scratches that look like the paint is peeling off. I haven't dropped my iPhone or anything. Do you think I can get a replacement from apple?

DSC_1591.jpg

DSC_1597.jpg

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Another scuff-gate issue?

If you're still in warranty, I suggest bring it to the Apple Store to get a replacement.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Definitely looks like the case did it. Either dirt got in there and rubbed it or the case stuck to the coating of the aluminum and peeled off when you took the case off.

I think it gives it character :D but that's just me. I use my iPhone 5 naked and its been in good shape so far.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
I'd be fired as an apple retail employee day 1 if I had to deal with customers like you.

From laughing at your face. Why should they replace it? This ain't nordstroms.

6daniels

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's a clear plastic case, I don't see this being the reason. Honestly I expect a $800 phone to last more than a month with the amount of care I take. Made an appointment at the Apple store for this afternoon.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
So you had a clear protector on the back before you placed it in the case right? It's so weird that that happened with a back skin protecting your phone.

Oh, it's not paint it's called anodizing.

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
It's a clear plastic case, I don't see this being the reason. Honestly I expect a $800 phone to last more than a month with the amount of care I take. Made an appointment at the Apple store for this afternoon.

Try putting a back protector on it. But then again, the paint shouldn't be scratching off.

Bear87

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
How about a leather sleeve? You are not the first one with a phone that got scratched by the case. It is not uncommon. Not only iphones can get scratched by a hardcase, other phones have the same 'problem'. Something about hard materials on hard materials..just one bit of sand, dust or anything and you are on.

However, it shouldn't have happent (bad case!) but yes it gives it personality and character.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
No they're not gonna replace it, tbh i don't even know why you thought that. There's nothing wrong with the phone, not their fault you put a cheap case on there.

superslows2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Definitely looks like the case did it. Either dirt got in there and rubbed it or the case stuck to the coating of the aluminum and peeled off when you took the case off.

I think it gives it character :D but that's just me. I use my iPhone 5 naked and its been in good shape so far.

I would have to agree, debris was most likely the culprit and was just scratching against the anodizing.

Keep us updated if they replace it !

Sesshy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
My black iPhone 5 comes in the mail today. Does anybody have any recommendations for skins?

Thatcher

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Pontefract UK
I've had this with a few of my Apple products in the past and the cause of my issues was the case, especially the looser fitting ones.

When I got dust and tiny bits of debris between the case and the phone this caused friction on the phone surface and scratched the coating. Looks like the same thing as the scratches are all in a similar area to each other.

----------

My black iPhone 5 comes in the mail today. Does anybody have any recommendations for skins?

I've tried about 4 so far and the best one for me is the Tech21 Impactology case.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's a clear plastic case, I don't see this being the reason.

Color of the case has nothing to do with it. If dirt gets trapped between the case and the phone, it's going to scratch it. This has been true since the original iPhone.

Honestly I expect a $800 phone to last more than a month with the amount of care I take.

It hasn't blown up, has it? It still works, and the damage is cosmetic.

I have all kinds of cosmetic damage on my $21,000 car. Door dings, some swirl marks, a couple stone chips on the windshield. I don't go to the dealer and demand a new car. By and large it still looks fine and it functions perfectly. What happens out there is no fault of theirs and the results are the physical limitations of the materials used to build the product coupled with the outside forces it's subjected to. The same is true of your phone.

Made an appointment at the Apple store for this afternoon.

Good luck. A genius may take pity on you. But especially given your demeanor, I have doubts.

S

syd430

I once bought a pair of business shoes that I felt wore out too quickly relative to the price. It didn't once occur to me that I am entitled to go back to the store and get and exchange for a new pair. I just avoided that brand in the future.

OP, you put a case on your iphone and the most likely scenario is that debris lodged between the case and the iPhone caused the the scratches. The "paint" (it's not paint) didn't just miraculousely "peel off" as your title implies (intentional or not).

A cheap $199 mass produced disposable product just didn't quite meet your quality expectations, and as such you think you're entitled to get another brand new one for free, because you weren't completely satisfied with the rate of wear. It's as simple as that.

The thing is, they will probably just swap it out for you anyway, just to save themselves the hassle. The only reason I am writing this post or even care, is because I wonder how much cheaper apple products would be if people didn't keep swapping these products for reasons like this. Believe me, it's built in to the price that I have to then pay.

And before I get accused of being just being a massive fanboy: I don't like mac's, I only own windows PC's, i own a nexus 7, and and earlier this year I took my ipad 3 back twice because I wasn't happy with the slightly uneven screen tint.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I once bought a pair of business shoes that I felt wore out too quickly relative to the price. It didn't once occur to me that I am entitled to go back to the store and get and exchange for a new pair. I just avoided that brand in the future.

OP, you put a case on your iphone and the most likely scenario is that debris lodged between the case and the iPhone caused the the scratches. The "paint" (it's not paint) didn't just miraculousely "peel off" as your title implies (intentional or not).

A cheap $199 mass produced disposable product just didn't quite meet your quality expectations, and as such you think you're entitled to get another brand new one for free, because you weren't completely satisfied with the rate of wear. It's as simple as that.

The thing is, they will probably just swap it out for you anyway, just to save themselves the hassle. The only reason I am writing this post or even care, is because I wonder how much cheaper apple products would be if people didn't keep swapping these products for reasons like this. Believe me, it's built in to the price that I have to then pay.

And before I get accused of being just being a massive fanboy: I don't like mac's, I only own windows PC's, i own a nexus 7, and and earlier this year I took my ipad 3 back twice because I wasn't happy with the slightly uneven screen tint.

S

syd430

Barely noticeable under bright lights, but was very distracting when reading in complete darkness. 95% of the time i am reading or dealing with text on my ipad so it was definitely a functional issue for me. It was the screen.

Not a few tiny cosmetical scratches on the back after a month of use with a 3rd party case like the OP.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012

Hah! What a joker.

iPhones cost $650, your carrier paid the other $450 to apple.

Love clueless people wasting their time typing embarrassing responses.

S

syd430

Hah! What a joker.

iPhones cost $650, your carrier paid the other $450 to apple.

Love clueless people wasting their time typing embarrassing responses.

Thanks didn't know that.

/sarcasm

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Barely noticeable under bright lights, but was very distracting when reading in complete darkness. 95% of the time i am reading or dealing with text on my ipad so it was definitely a functional issue for me. It was the screen.

Not a few tiny cosmetical scratches on the back after a month of use with a 3rd party case like the OP.

I work very hard for my money. Shoes, phones, jeans, tires, rocking chairs, whatever... If it wears out prematurely, I'm going to ask the manufacturer/retailer about it. Not doing so is just... dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.